Search results

1. Spenser

Kenwood KT-8005 Hum Buzz

Let me try this again. My first attemp at this thead was incoherent on my part. I apologize to anyone whose original material got deleted and will try and get your input back on here with attribution. Thank you. Edit: was able to recover the following... "The KT-8005 was my first high end...
  2. Spenser

Things to Watch Sansui AU-517

I am looking for advice on things to watch out for on the Sansui AU-517. Anyone have any wisdom to offer? I have zero experience with Sansui integrated amplifiers. The seller is a trusted friend of a trusted friend and has a 15-day return policy. I will probably come home with the amplifier...
  3. Spenser

Yahama T-1 Overhaul

(Edit: I forgot "the set-up" for this thread. Here it is. I got an old Yamaha T-1 tuner that really sounds nice but seriously needs an alignment. Since I'm going to get it aligned and it's 50-years old, might as well go ahead and replace the electrolytic capacitors. I was wondering if there...
  4. Spenser

Yamaha RX-777 FM Stereo

I've had a Yamaha RX-777 stored away in a box for maybe three years. I got it out this morning and powered it up. Was thinking of using it in my disco shed -or- sending it on down the road to someone who might like to have it more than me. I'd forgotten how poorly the tuner tunes stereo on even...
  5. Spenser

Denon DRM-540 Belt Repair

What is the level of difficulty for tape deck belt replacement on a Denon DRM-540? How is it done? I learned a lesson. Sold one (on Ebay), that was working (I thought). Maybe it was the original belt and it broke in transit. Even though I sold it Parts and Repair, the buyer returned it. When I...
  6. Spenser

NAD 7125 Stereo Beacon

I am trying to ready some things for their next new home. I have two of these NAD 7125s. Nice tuner section. Compact receiver size. On one of these 7125s, the stereo beacon does not illuminate. I don't think it's going into stereo. Not sure why. Maybe the mono button is not working. Like maybe...
  7. Spenser

Kenwood KA 5500 vs KA 7100

If you had to choose, (running exclusively an upgraded Kenwood KT 7500 as your input), would you keep your Kenwood KA 5500* -or- Kenwood KA 7100 *both 'upgraded' with a little more attention to the KA 5500. Back story: I've been happily tootling along running the KA 7100 and KT 7500 together...
  8. Spenser

Sony STR-V5 FM Stereo Function Malfunction

Wondered if you could help ID the problem and recommend the fix for this stereo function malfunction. What a wonderful, classic the Sony STR-V5 is. Symptom: you have to fiddle the tuning through below and above the band a time or two to get the stereo function to grab for the desired station...
  9. Spenser

common LED xmas light problems

bought six strings of GE colored LED lights on sale thinking would be more reliable. ha. of the six strings, half developed issue where half the string went dim. not worth the shipping to send them to warranty santas workshop. pitch? pains me ugh pondering landfill consequences of xmas lights...
  10. Spenser

Electronics Suppliers, Change of Address, Silver Mica Caps

I don't know why I feel compelled to tell this story. FYI if you move and want to get something from DigiKey. Make the address change in their system at least a day or two before you make your order. Why? They have a policy of manually approving address changes. This is to protect everyone in...
  11. Spenser

Catmanboo My Thanks To YOU

I stopped by to see Catmanboo when passing through. What a guy. What an amazing experience. He gave generously of his time and expertise and sent me on my way with goodies. While there I got to learn a little about the man and take a quick look around. The setting. Gently rolling mostly pretty...
  12. Spenser

Thoughts on Radio Shack Six Element FM Antenna

Like I need more stuff. Except I cannot help myself. Someone here is offering for $20 a 1988 still-in-the-box radio shack directional FM antenna. I just discovered a station WKVE 103.1 broadcasting 4.4 kilowats out of the Laurel Highlands. Which is a magical place by the way if you have never...
  13. Spenser

Boston Horizon Solo

Bought one of these from a seller online. I will let you know if it works and initial impressions when it arrives. We will see if it comes with a power cord. Might have to dip into my stash. Local thrift store if necessary. Was able to locate this following-linked owners manual a kind soul put...
  14. Spenser

NAD Faceplate Scratches

Anyone have an "aluminum black-like" fix for minor NAD faceplate scratches? Me personally it doesn't have to match perfectly. Just looking to tweak it enough so the minor dings and wear places no longer draw the eye. Without affecting surrounding paint finish. Was thinking of getting some...
  15. Spenser

Sansui TU-517 Updating -- If Any

Edit: here is a better picture of the tuner after LED relamp. I've been wanting one of these for a long time. Well I finally got one. It's in great shape cosmetically. I'm going to relamp before getting it aligned. Let me ask you. What 'improvements' -- if any -- would you make before sending...
  16. Spenser

EPI M90 Worth How Much

How much are a pair of excellent condition EPI M90 speakers worth? The sellter is asking $140. I've never had a pair of Epicures. I do remember others owning them and seeing them in the stereo shops back in the day. I have Polk monitor 7A. Mission 770. Amiga designs I built from some white van...
  17. Spenser

Onkyo DX-1400 Spruce Up

I think maybe it has been several years since there has been a model-specific AK thread on the Onkyo DX-1400 / 1800. This one above-pictured -- recently acquired -- is my first real CD player. Works. Good cosmetically. Is there anything to be recommended in the way of routine maintenance TLC...
  18. Spenser

Technics SU-V78 Power Switch Replacement

I'm back after 'downsizing' (moving). Now my bench -- gradually coming back to life. First project. Someone gave me a Technics SU-V78. Turned out it had a bad power switch. Here's a picture of the new power switch installed (top metal encased one), and a link to where I found the fix. Thanks...
  19. Spenser

Denon Receiver with TU-660 Quality

Does anyone one know what Denon receiver model(s) would have Denon TU-660 tuner quality or better (mainly thinking sensitivity here)? I've never had a Denon receiver and was thinking of getting one to try it out and see whether it might be something I'd like to have. I don't want one though...
  20. Spenser

KR-4600 Tuning Shaft/Flywheel Interchangeability

Anyone know whether tuning shaft/flywheel for the KR-4600 receiver is interchangeable with KR-3600 and/or KR-4600. How 'bout the KR-2600. Knobs for the KR-2600 generally same? Looks like I'd be shy maybe a function or power knob. I bought a donor unit Kenwood KR-4600 a while ago. All knobs...
  21. Spenser

OPA604 in place of HA1457

I haven't been able to unearth anyone's thinking on good substitution for IC401 in the flat/tone amp section of a Sony STR-V5 receiver. Stock is the HA1457 Hitachi. One or both my HA1457s might be bad, and maybe the OPA604 is a better performer anyhow. Certainly reasonably priced. BrownDog's...
  22. Spenser

Sony STR-V5 Relay and Switches

Just got a Sony STR-V5. First one of the series I've had. Love it. This unit went through a local shop for a checkup and to address an issue. Good guy I know who had it briefly took it there before passing it on. I'm told it had a channel that was cutting out. The shop said "repaired function...
  23. Spenser

Denon DRM-540 Making a Noise

I have a recently-acquired Denon DRM-540. Worked fine for maybe one tape. Second tape in. Began making a mechanical, raspy almost squeaky noise. Does not make the noise when fast-forwarding or fast-reverse. Tape path appears clean. I'll see if I can put a tiny bit of sewing machine oil on the...
  24. Spenser

Denon PMA-720 Modifications Repairs

...i bought a Denon PMA-720 integrated amplifier site unseen, and when it arrived in the mail the bank of function switches was not working. The amplifier had an odd smell I could not put my finger on. Not a burnt smell. Thought maybe a prior owner had used some kind of odd lubricant on the...
  25. Spenser

Yamaha CR-400 Static Channel Repair

Edited Opening Statement 10/07/23 in this section as follows... Hypothesis: I'm guessing it's one of the output transistors and/or transistor(s) earlier on in the main amp section acting up here. Notation: this receiver was repaired in 2016 judging by Sharpie date and initials on inside...
Back
Top Bottom