Search results

1. Adinol

Should I Replace Transistors 2SC454

Thank you for your very thorough reply. Since the deck works well, I am going to leave it alone for now. But I will buy some KSC945CG and also one of the more suitable replacements for the 2SC458 just to have in stock. Perhaps next time I do a belt change I can also swap out the transistors...
  2. Adinol

Thank you for this information. However, the KSC945CG seems to be discontinued and I can't find it on DigiKey, Mouser or Jameco. Would there be a modern substitute for the 2SC454? Also, I was actually wondering if the 2SC454's actually need to be swapped. I swapped the 2SC458 for KSC1845...
  3. Adinol

Greetings, I'm almost done recapping my Akai R2R deck. When I was doing my initial research I came across some information that Akai decks have some transistors 2SC458 that should be replaced because they are likely to break down with time. While I was doing my recap job I discovered that the...
  4. Adinol

Changing Capacitors in Reel to Reel Machines

Greetings, I've changed capacitors in a few tube radios in the past and now I want to do the same with some R2R machines. I'll limit my first post to two questions, but I have more questions for this thread. 1 - Recapping old tube radios seems to be the norm, but it's not much talked about...
  5. Adinol

Technics RS-TR232 - is my problem a bad belt?

That looks right. Although, I see there are only 2 remaining and they removed the buy 2 get 1 free incentive.
  6. Adinol

I don't seem to be very good at doing a search on this forum. There was another conversation about this, in another thread, but now I can't find the link. I posted some eBay links in that thread and also explained, from my perspective, which of the available gears is a better option (I have...
  7. Adinol

Belts for the Technics RS-TR232 cassette deck

Oh, that's a great trick. I'm glad I asked. Thank you very much.
  8. Adinol

I actually heard back from the vendor. They are being very nice. They asked me to measure the belts and said they would send me replacements. I think the most accurate way for me to measure a belt is to cut it open and lay it flat on a ruler, but I don't really want to cut the old belts until...
  9. Adinol

Thank you for your replies. Would a belt 10% smaller add a lot of stress to the motor and other moving parts? Where do you order belts from? I was thinking that, too. In fact, these are pretty much the same symptoms I had before the belt change. Some tapes just stop, as if they've reached...
  10. Adinol

Greetings, Last night I changed the belts in my Technics RS-TR232 cassette deck. It's a double deck with 2 sets of belts. I ordered the belts from eBay, from a seller westcoastbelts.com. The belts were advertised as replacements for this specific deck. The belts that I received were visibly...
  11. Adinol

I found the answer on TapeHeads. It's an infamous gear that breaks down over time.
  12. Adinol

Thanks, Is an idler wheel another word for flywheel, or is it something different? Thanks....
  13. Adinol

Greetings, I just resurrected my old Technics RS-TR232 dual cassette deck (I'm first owner). All I have time for, right now, is to do a belt change. I am trying to determine if my symptom is most likely the result of a bad belt. The symptom (deck 2): It played forward OK through half a tape...
  14. Adinol

Which R2R Machines Have...?

Great machine. Definitely worth keeping my eyes open for that one. Thanks....
  15. Adinol

Are these heads worn out?

Here's a TEAC A4300 on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEAC-A4300-Estate-Sale-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-RARELY-USED/132723105233?hash=item1ee6e9ddd1%3Ag%3ATJcAAOSwatRbXjtl&_sacat=0&_nkw=teac+4300&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313&LH_TitleDesc=0%7C0 I can't tell for sure if the heads are in a better...
  16. Adinol

Thank you for your thoughts. I can do a recap, belt change, clean, demag and lube without any problems. Anything more would require a bit of research and also doing it step by step while documenting the progress on a forum. I do not currently have an audio signal generator but I do have a...
  17. Adinol

Alright! Thank you all again for taking the time to advise me.
  18. Adinol

Thank you, all. I read more about re-lapping and also about head alignment. Clearly, if I buy this machine I will have some extra expenses to keep my tapes healthy. The 4010 I currently have doesn't have quite as much head wear, but my machine has other issues. One advantage that this...
  19. Adinol

Thank you for your reply, Conrad. Your reply lead me to read up on lapping heads and now I at least know (in theory) how it's done. I was actually always wondering about this kind of wear and tear as I've seen it on the heads. Now I also know my current machine needs lapping. But that machine...
  20. Adinol

Thank you for your detailed explanation. I was initially thinking to offer $200, but since it's local and I don't need to waste money on shipping do you think I should go as high as $300, or even $400? And I don't need to pay anyone to do the belt change, lube or recapping, as I've done this...
  21. Adinol

Greetings, I am considering the purchase of a reel to reel deck. It is a good opportunity because it is a local purchase and I can rather spend money on the unit than on shipping. I am trying to decide how much to offer to pay. Here is a picture of the heads. It's hard to obtain good...
  22. Adinol

Servicing a TASCAM 34

At this point I think I have to start considering this option. Do you know how much is your friend asking for this motor, and does it come with the control board? Thanks...
  23. Adinol

Servicing a TASCAM 34

Thank you for this link, dhnash. I read through that and followed the links from there, too. My motor is definitely burned and I need to determine if I want to try rebuilding it. So far I know this: 1 - the inductor is burned. 2 - the electrolytic cap leaked (I would replace it with a film cap...
  24. Adinol

Servicing a TASCAM 34

Thanks for the good info. I'm concerned about what might be the reason why this overheated in the first place. Even if I install a new motor would it overheat?
  25. Adinol

Servicing a TASCAM 34

I opened up the motor and discovered that I wasn't the first one there, because there was one plastic washer that was already out of place. On the stator side there is one component that looks like it used to be a resistor, which is burned out. Does anyone knows the value of this resistor (ohms...
Back
Top Bottom