Search results

1. CoolWax

Turntable conversion to mono

Just to replace the current cable/plug with one of higher quality and have it hard wired. Less interconnect points.
  2. CoolWax

Turntable conversion to mono

Picked up a second AR XA today to convert to a mono table. Faux pas? Maybe, but I love ARs and this will be more cost effective than buying or restoring an old Empire/Presto/etc, even if not "as satisfying". I'll be using one of the Grado ME or MC carts, which have 4 pins to interface the head...
  3. CoolWax

Fullest range driver for single speaker listening?

Still waiting to get word back from drbiggles on cab dimensions of his 80fr curbside score, and my Dynaco Mkii is at my tech, but in the mean time... Picked up a pair of 120fr's today for $150! Not too bad I think.
  4. CoolWax

I'm definitely on the lookout for one!
  5. CoolWax

I purchased an 80fr last week, its so clean it looks new. It arrived today and man. It's blown me away. I've never heard the human voice reproduced so crystal clear. I've just given it a little test drive mounted in my Lancer L44 cab (which obviously is nowhere close to ideal) but it ate Chris...
  6. CoolWax

Thanks! And I agree, good mono is the most enjoyable ☺️
  7. CoolWax

Thank you for the advice and bandwidth breakdown on coaxials. I'm currently listening through JBL L44s and quite enjoy them. I think I'll try out a couple different more affordable 8" drivers, like the Stephens that Drugolf mentioned, and I'll save up towards a nice coaxial/dual concentric as well!
  8. CoolWax

Thanks! Not super familiar with coaxial drivers, so I'll do some more reading there.
  9. CoolWax

Thats very much what I'm after. Period correct single speaker reproduction! Thanks!
  10. CoolWax

I'm familiar with the 412s as a guitarist, the Allman Bros used them. I'll look into more theatre speakers!
  11. CoolWax

I've recently put together a mono system (Dynaco mkii, Dynaco pam-1, Grado ME+) and I need a speaker. I've become very interested in the earliest JBL cabinets/kits, and want to build a clone of one. Doing some research, I commonly see a D130 paired with an 075 tweeter and crossover. I'd really...
  12. CoolWax

Grado ME or MC??

Thanks for the reply! Glad to hear you're enjoying the ME+! Beatles in mono is the way it was meant to be! I suppose I'll shoot Grado an email, but would you think there'd be an advantage in having a woody (say, the Opus3) strapped mono over the marketed mono series cart? Or is it just marketing...
  13. CoolWax

Grado ME or MC??

I've decided to put together a dedicated mono system, because I mostly listen to mono music (currently hunting down all black label entries in the Atlantic 1200/1300 catalog) Dave at vinyl nirvana said a Grado would be his first thought for my AR XA, the ME+ and MC+ are in the same ball park...
  14. CoolWax

Wharfedale Dentons amp pairing

*Post is 50/50 between belonging in the amp or speaker forums, sorry in advance* I picked up some original ('60s?) Wharfedale Dentons, which from what I've read about were the American market equivalent to the W20Ds, is that correct? They sounded wonderful when I tested them at purchase, and I...
  15. CoolWax

What are you listening to right now and on what speakers

Let It Be, true US first press. Maggie Mae credited to P.D., red apple labels, pressed in Jacksonville, Illinois. On my JBL l44 Lancers!!
  16. CoolWax

The Recorded LIVE Playlist

I just picked up a Joe Tex Live and Lively LP the other day, great vocal!!
  17. CoolWax

Is it gonna blow!?

I'm sure I've read a thread about replacement transistors here before, did a bunch of reading before buying it. Any links or part numbers that'll be useful during the revitalizing of this guy?
  18. CoolWax

Is it gonna blow!?

Alright, here's the amp! Definitely needs a recap! But when the static is gone the sound is SWEET! Just my first test set up, but I really like it quite a bit!
  19. CoolWax

Is it gonna blow!?

yes the surrounds have been replaced with new foam. Although I think the cone might be separating from them in spots, I'll get some pics up. I know recone kits are available on fleabay. They honestly look brittle to me, but they're a textured material so its hard to judge. I know pics will help...
  20. CoolWax

Is it gonna blow!?

So I've got my AU555a (pics coming this afternoon!) and I bought a pair of JBL l44 Lancers yesterday. My question... JBL literature says they recommend at least 30 watts continuous, and 15 or more watts per channel rms at 8 ohms to drive the l44s. But they will handle 10 times that without...
  21. CoolWax

Today's JAZZ playlist

Wes Montgomery- California Dreaming Picked up a first press mono copy released on Verve in '66, NM for $25!
  22. CoolWax

Speaker situation

Well, the deed is done, haha! Made an hour or so drive and got the L44s for $240, surrounds are good. Seller let me listen to the Stylistics 1st album on a TD160 through an older marantz amp. They sounded great! Very excited to hook them up to my Sansui!!
  23. CoolWax

Speaker situation

My band just finished playing a gig and we made an extra $125 a piece, so I'm going to get the lancers this week with my surprise cash!!
  24. CoolWax

Speaker situation

The guy with the ARs quoted me $99 to ship. Which is fair, just a bit much considering I can drive 20 minutes and pick up the JBLs for the same price. I'm in Athens, Ga. The Classic City!
  25. CoolWax

Speaker situation

A set of Technics floor speakers from the 80s my dad let me borrow, the model escapes me. I've come across a clean pair of JBL L44s locally for $275, and a pair of AR 48s at $125 that I'm getting a shipping quote for. The Wharfedales I was watching have sold :p
Back
Top Bottom