Search results

1. CoolWax

Turntable conversion to mono

Picked up a second AR XA today to convert to a mono table. Faux pas? Maybe, but I love ARs and this will be more cost effective than buying or restoring an old Empire/Presto/etc, even if not "as satisfying". I'll be using one of the Grado ME or MC carts, which have 4 pins to interface the head...
  2. CoolWax

Fullest range driver for single speaker listening?

I've recently put together a mono system (Dynaco mkii, Dynaco pam-1, Grado ME+) and I need a speaker. I've become very interested in the earliest JBL cabinets/kits, and want to build a clone of one. Doing some research, I commonly see a D130 paired with an 075 tweeter and crossover. I'd really...
  3. CoolWax

Grado ME or MC??

I've decided to put together a dedicated mono system, because I mostly listen to mono music (currently hunting down all black label entries in the Atlantic 1200/1300 catalog) Dave at vinyl nirvana said a Grado would be his first thought for my AR XA, the ME+ and MC+ are in the same ball park...
  4. CoolWax

Wharfedale Dentons amp pairing

*Post is 50/50 between belonging in the amp or speaker forums, sorry in advance* I picked up some original ('60s?) Wharfedale Dentons, which from what I've read about were the American market equivalent to the W20Ds, is that correct? They sounded wonderful when I tested them at purchase, and I...
  5. CoolWax

Is it gonna blow!?

So I've got my AU555a (pics coming this afternoon!) and I bought a pair of JBL l44 Lancers yesterday. My question... JBL literature says they recommend at least 30 watts continuous, and 15 or more watts per channel rms at 8 ohms to drive the l44s. But they will handle 10 times that without...
  6. CoolWax

Speaker situation

I need some direction on speakers for my setup. I'm running an AR xa table into a Sansui AU555a amp, and I listen to everything from Dean Martin to Deep Purple. I'm drawn to Wharfedales because of name, looks, and reputation, but I've heard they're really at home with jazz and classical...
  7. CoolWax

Mat thickness?

I think I've decided on German manufacturer Pathe Wings cork/rubber hybrid mats, but what thickness to get? They offer 1mm - 4mm. Its going on my AR xa. Also VTA adjustment how to/is it necessary? Thanks guys!
  8. CoolWax

First integrated amp

Hey all, I do a whole lot of learning (lurking) and not much posting here on AK, but I just got my first "real" amp and figured it was worth talking about! I bought an absolutely beautifully clean Sansui au-555a from a gentleman in Chicago. Should be here Thursday. I've read great things about...
  9. CoolWax

Vincent pho-8...worth the extra $$

I've driven myself nuts reviewing, comparing, and reading about phono preamp this week. But recently ran across the Vincent pho-8. Seems incredible, especially for $299. Anybody with experience that can recommend it? I'm running an AR Xa with a shure m75e cart into Yamaha hs5 monitors/sub...
  10. CoolWax

Phone preamp suggestions

Hey guys, Just wanted to put a feeler out for what AK would recommend as a good phono pre. My table is an AR xa with a shure m75e cart. I really dig the looks, reviews, and price point of the pluto. But I've heard it doesn't perform all that hot with anything but Ortofon carts. Suggestions?
  11. CoolWax

New in town

Hey guys, I am a long time vinyl listener/purchaser/collector, and have been doing a ton of research (lurking, haha) here on AK. I'm pleased to say that after said lurking, I just purchased my first real table, a beautifully restored AR XA. Looking forward to learning more and sharing with...
Back
Top Bottom