Search results

1. desertrefuge

What do I need to know about the 5000A?

Or luck into a nice 5000X with the 6013 amp boards. The 6013 boards could also be retrofitted to the 5000A "IF" you could find them.
  2. desertrefuge

What do I need to know about the 5000A?

Without looking at the schematic, there must be a parallel current path. But, I'm all eyes and ears since I'll be doing a restoration of a VERY nice 5000X I recently acquired.
  3. desertrefuge

Sony STR V6....

I do it all the time - usually the 1st thing I do to a new unit. Except I use my compressor and blow off attachment. Just need to be careful and use a low pressure and/or diffused flow. Doesn't take much air to get all the cobwebs and dust out. Some of them have 40 years' of dust built up.
  4. desertrefuge

Sony STR V6....

By the way, I have a bunch of receivers, but my STR-V6 is my "main line unit" lately. Gotta love the power reserve - and that big, honkin' torroidal transformer and filter caps are hard evidence. Mine runs several hours a day and barely gets warm. The only things missing that "should" be...
  5. desertrefuge

Sony STR V6....

So, how did it work? I'm guessing that your noise should be gone now, right?
  6. desertrefuge

Faceplate glass replacement?

OK. I thought I was being smart. I most decidedly was not. I have a 7070 with a less than perfect faceplate. A couple of abrasions that have bothered me for a while. I recently saw an ad for a 7070 faceplate in nice shape EXCEPT for a broken glass. So, I figured, "how tough can it be to...
  7. desertrefuge

What are you listening to right now and on what speakers

Sarah McLaughlin through a "backup" system - Sansui 7070 through rebuilt Fisher STV-724s. (Upgraded drivers, cabinet bracing, damping material).
  8. desertrefuge

First Marantz - and it's a mess. (2270)

Thanks rBuckner! I will keep that firmly in mind. Getting stuck often seems a way of life for me. But, except for the internal ugliness, this unit is cosmetically pretty nice. If I can get it running well, I'll be happy enough. My first step will be to build a parts list and place the...
  9. desertrefuge

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I'll take my time on it. It's a good way to relax. Usually. Had the SM before I even finalized the deal, so I had the lay of the land. I'd also scanned quite a few of the 2270 threads on this great site. (Fantastic resource). So, this one will really...
  10. desertrefuge

I've been an electrical engineer for 25 years, and in the last few years, I accidentally began accumulating vintage stereo gear. My old faithful, an SX-980 has been around for a while. I added an SX-750, an SX-3700, a Sony STR-V6 and Sansui 5000X and 7070. They've all needed some work under...
  11. desertrefuge

Sony STR V6....

Sometimes winging it is best. This ain't exactly rocket science. Find pot. Determine ingress point. Aim and squirt. I had no issues. Took about 10 minutes - including removing the top. No other disassembly was needed. Had noisy volume and balance controls. Now I don't.
  12. desertrefuge

Sony STR V6....

Bit of a PIA to reach them, but I had good results simply standing the unit on its side and going at it. Didn't need an extended straw.
  13. desertrefuge

Sony STR V6....

Whew! If I went to 2 o'clock on this thing, my speakers would seriously be complaining.
  14. desertrefuge

Sony STR V6....

This topic comes up all the time - because pretty much ALL vintage gear has these issues. The stuff you're looking at there is pretty harsh. Good cleaner, but has no lube. It also might do harm to some of the materials used on these older units. Although some have used it with success, I'd...
  15. desertrefuge

Sony STR V6....

That's the "right stuff, but you can find can find it cheaper than that. Shouldn't be more than 13-14 bucks. I have couple of shots of mine. One shot is with the Pioneer SX-980 at the top of the totem pole. The Sony now sits in that spot! Lighting and focus are horrible (sorry, but that's...
  16. desertrefuge

Sony STR V6....

No, the Deoxit (or equivalent) is actually working on the volume control itself. That is the pot (potentiometer). Actually a variable resistor, a wiper inside the body contacts a resistive arc, creates a voltage divider and changes the resistance based on how much of the arc is allowed to...
  17. desertrefuge

Sony STR V6....

Would be easier just to use your eyeballs and look behind the front panel. :)
  18. desertrefuge

Sony STR V6....

Yeah, the stuff really is magic. It really does seem that the vast majority of immediate issues on these ole girls stem from oxidation in switch contacts and potentiometers. I've had entire channels be out and, rather than a blown output stage, have found dirty balance pots and/or switches to...
  19. desertrefuge

Sony STR V6....

Update. Deox F5 alone solved "crinkly" volume and balance pot noise. Same elixir also resolved the inop left VU meter. My unit has seen very little use from all appearances. A cursory scan with a bench LCR meter shows no obvious leakers. I'm going to run it for a bit. Hard not to...
  20. desertrefuge

Sony STR V6....

Small world. I picked up one of these this week, too. It joins a Pioneer SX-980 (main squeeze), a couple of Sansui (7070, 5000X) and an SX-750. The Sony is huge. Mine is also very nice cosmetically, but has crinkly (technical term) balance and volume pots and an inoperative left VU meter...
  21. desertrefuge

Vintage Audio Swap in Phoenix

Any update on this event? Vinyl swap still going to happen at the American Legion?
  22. desertrefuge

Another desert dweller - Arizona

Well, I figured that, since I was shamelessly (and silently) harvesting information from this great site, I should at least give a shout out to the resources here (you know who you are) for the shoulders to stand on. I've gone through a few systems over the years (I am not young, not old, but...
  23. desertrefuge

New guy - 7070 tuner cord source?

Thanks KB, I was wondering if there was a suitable alternative. I'll look into it. Much obliged for the quick response.
  24. desertrefuge

New guy - 7070 tuner cord source?

Hey folks, been a lurker here and a 2 channel stereo junkie since the 70's. Had a bunch of audio gear over the years and seemed to gravitate toward Pioneer, but recently acquired a needy Sansui 7070. It was quite dirty, needs woodgrain vinyl sticky replacement, but has cleaned up nicely. (I...
Back
Top Bottom