Search results

1. A

"Paul's Post: Building a new speaker"

What struck me the most was how much Arnie Nudell’s reference system represents a direct evolution of the original Infinity Quantum Line Source 1 speaker design (the big brother of my Quantum 2’s). The resemblance is uncanny. The two are about the same height, and both have line source tweeter...
  2. A

Replacing The Big Electrolytic Caps In Quantum 2

Just curious if you replaced any of the wiring to the drivers. I was in my Q2's recently and was very surprised at how lightweight the wiring was, especially to the mid-bass coupler.
  3. A

Midbass Driver Replacement - Quantum Series

I think the basic issue is that most mainstream amplifiers are built to handle nominal 8 ohm loads, and don't do very well with 4 ohm or especially 2 ohm loads. I've had no problems running my Q2's over the years with a Dynaco ST-400, a Bryston 4B, and the current Adcom 5802. I friend of mine...
  4. A

My guess is that between the additional expense of winding the second voice coil, and the expense of the very large capacitors and coils needed to crossover between the voice coils, most speaker manufacturers didn't find the Watkins Dual-Drive Woofers attractive. And having a reputation of...
  5. A

According to the QLS white paper, the 200-600Hz region covered by the mid-bass coupler covers 50% of the fundamental frequencies of music. Whether accurate reproduction within that range is important to you, I can't say. I also looked at the Tang Band W4-1720 which is considerably cheaper than...
  6. A

I've been looking at the Scanspeaker Illuminator 12MU/8731-T-00 as a possible mid-bass coupler for another project. Its available in both 4 and 8 ohm varieties. I think the current Infinity mid-bass coupler is an 8 ohm part. Not cheap, but very flat. You might have to tweak the crossover.
  7. A

Need measurements on Quantum 2 woofer rings.

I own a pair of Q2's as well. Not sure you really need the rings, but here are the measurements that you requested: 1/2" deep 5/8" wide 13 3/8" outside diameter 12" inside diameter I did reinstall them after I had the surrounds replaced.
  8. A

QLS dimensions

Seems like at least three variations: the prototype used in the brochure (my first drawing), the black baffle version (my second drawing, with the Q-2), and then the veneer baffle version. By documenting the dimensions, I'm hoping to gain some insight into "why" the drivers were positioned (or...
  9. A

QLS dimensions

I've attached an updated drawing of the QLS alongside a drawing of the Q-2. The Q-2 dimensions were taken from mine. When I get further along in my look-alike, sound-alike QLS "New Generation" construction project I will start a new thread.
  10. A

QLS dimensions

I am currently planning to use the Q-2 values (and internal cabinet volume) for the Watkins woofer; I don't need it to go down to 18Hz (and risk bottoming out) - 24Hz is good enough! I would like to keep the same crossover frequencies, if possible, but the drivers I select will probably have...
  11. A

QLS dimensions

Guess I've been oblivious of the woofer mounting... so it's a ring and not square? My understanding is that it protrudes about 1 1/4" although that distance changed over the production run.
  12. A

QLS dimensions

Fascinating! The Infinity Quantum Line Source brochure copyright 1977 which shows a black front QLS-1 shows a sizeable gap between the tweeters and mid-ranges. I wonder which implementation came first -- the one in the brochure or what you've got? Tried to upload the brochure photo but they...
  13. A

QLS dimensions

Jim, just tried to update the QLS CAD drawing based on your measurements but had a problem with your measured tweeter and mid-range (vertical) center lines. You said "Edge of the cabinet to center of the tweeters is 3 1/2. Center of mids is 7 1/4" -- the 3 1/2" to the center line of the tweeters...
  14. A

QLS dimensions

I'm still evaluating drivers, other than the Watkins, which are a given. Selecting a mid-bass coupler is tough given how critical that frequency range is. At the moment, I'm leaning toward the Madisound Scanspeak Illuminator 12MU/4731T-00 4.5” 4 ohm driver. I understand that the original QLS-1...
  15. A

QLS dimensions

Jim, those are just the dimensions I needed, thanks, I'll update the CAD drawing.
  16. A

QLS dimensions

I've owned a pair of Q2's since they first came out, love them a lot, but regret that I didn't pop for the QLS. The attached file contains a CAD drawing of a QLS derived from the photo in the Infinity brochure. I would very much appreciate someone who owns a QLS verifying the various dimensions...
Back
Top Bottom