Search results

1. Multimode

attenuators

I tried -10dB but found -20dB to give a much better (perfect) result in my particular set-up. The slightly long-winded story can be found here: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/cambridge-cxn-into-sansui-au-919.765205/
  2. Multimode

This is The Sansui Sound - LP

I see that 'permission to use' came from Dutch company Phonogram International BV, and five of the eight tracks feature Dutch musicians. That suggests Sansui commissioned the LP but Phonogram selected the tracks (and took the opportunity to promote their Dutch friends). Phonogram would have...
  3. Multimode

This is The Sansui Sound - LP

I'm a little confused here, as I haven't spotted any reference above to an English language version of the 'This is the Sansui sound' LP. I have the English version and it's identical to the Dutch - other than in the language of course. It came in the box with the AU-919 amplifier that I...
  4. Multimode

Sansui au-919 & ventilation

Yes, excellent work! I'd also be interested to know how the temperature varies with load, if you feel inclined. Measuring at between, say, 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock on the volume control might be enough to show the trend.
  5. Multimode

Sansui au-919 & ventilation

I'm sure Hyperion would agree that there's no need to raise the AU-919 higher than its feet provide for. Rather, not to place it on a soft surface such as a carpet and not on top of another unit that runs more than a very few (preferably nil) degrees above ambient temperature. My 919 has...
  6. Multimode

Need audio rack suggestions for 9090DB and other wider than normal components

I may have been mistaken in saying there are two versions of the Nathan hi-fi unit, namely fixed shelves and adjustable shelves. Two internet sellers had told me that the shelves on their particular units were fixed, however I now suspect they were adjustable as standard. The shelves are a...
  7. Multimode

Need audio rack suggestions for 9090DB and other wider than normal components

I don't know if this furniture is available where you live (members' locations need to be entered in Personal Details) but I found that a Nathan Hi-Fi unit from the 1960s or '70s would accept my 19" width AU-919 amplifier. There are two versions of this unit, one with fixed intermediate shelves...
  8. Multimode

Voltage on the chassis of an AU-919

Having just dug out my AU-919 Operating Manual to answer a different question, I see that there's a Sansui flyer pasted inside the front cover instructing "WARNING - THIS APPARATUS MUST BE EARTHED". (The amplifier is 240V and was sold into the UK.) I think this confirms the conclusion reached...
  9. Multimode

Sansui's MC-input stages vs. external MC-amplifiers

My AU-919 operating manual also of course states the impedance on Phono1-MC as 10 ohms. The "~30 ohms" was copied from a posting elsewhere. My apologies for proliferating the error. Unfortunately I'm not knowledgeable enough to answer your other questions.
  10. Multimode

Sansui's MC-input stages vs. external MC-amplifiers

John (Hyperion) has summed up my experience well, so I'll just add a bit of background and conclusion. Feeding the signal from my Audio Technica Signet MKIIIE cartridge directly into the MC input of the AU-919 gave a dreadful sound quality, but fed via AT's dedicated step-up transformer MK10T...
  11. Multimode

Stuck volume knob allen bolt - help?

I agree with trying a Torx bit tapped into the hex recess. If it gets a bite it will be far more resistant than a poor-fitting hex key to breaking loose. (A hex drive applies a 60 degree outward force on the screw - which is why they tend to crack open over-tight screws across a corner -...
  12. Multimode

The problem is that damaged Allen screws have usually lost the majority of their hexagon, so filing a larger key to fit isn't normally practicable. Similarly where the hexagonal recess has become tapered, or the screw has cracked across a corner.
  13. Multimode

An Allen screw with damaged hexagon should be removeable using Loctite anaerobic compound to lock the key into the recess [other makes are available!]. Loctite 270 (high strength threadlock) could be a good choice, but others such as 243 (medium strength threadlock) which might already be to...
  14. Multimode

AU-D907 for restoration

Just to confirm, John, pictures from you are always highly welcomed. Some people, including myself, aren't very electronically-minded, but 'before and after' pictures on top of explanations help us understand and learn. You have an excellent track record here! :)
  15. Multimode

1979 Sansui Au-717 / TU-717

In normal circumstances I make sure the volume control is right down (indicated -70dB) when switching on as well as when changing sources. I made an exception when comparing MM and MC sound quality and there was no humming, but I agree it's not best practice.
  16. Multimode

1979 Sansui Au-717 / TU-717

I'm surprised that source outputs in the days before CDs, streaming etc, could run at levels that might overload amplifier inputs. I'd assumed the intended purpose of the -20dB switch was purely to mute the sound temporarily, to avoid any need to turn the volume control down and then reset it...
  17. Multimode

AU-D907 for restoration

The owner of that AU-D907 is a lucky chap. It's now touching the fifth anniversary since Hyperion overhauled my AU-919 and it's still of course working perfectly (and with distinctly better sound quality than when I bought it new in 1980!). :)
  18. Multimode

Sansui AU-317 Scratchy Volume Pot Solved

Some time ago I came across an instruction from Land Rover to their service engineers that WD40 was not to be used to lubricate the door locks on Range Rovers as it gummed the mechanism.
  19. Multimode

AU-919 and inrush current

I tend to move all electrical switches firmly since noticing many years ago that domestic light switches can be heard to 'spark' if they are moved slowly. Having read the above advice from John, I'm pleased to learn that this habit is particularly beneficial to the AU-919. :) I also ensure...
  20. Multimode

Another AU-919

An abbreviated quote follows, taken from an old post: John's increase to the MC input impedance overcame the mismatch problem, with listening tests revealing little difference between MC direct and step-up transformer into MM. The modification will also facilitate a wider choice of MC...
  21. Multimode

AU-719 on the bench

I've no experience with shellac in transformers but have been involved with shellac insulated wiring in magnetos. The shellac often breaks down after several decades, but heat or especially humidity is usually the cause. During long term vehicle storage, the shellac starts to go soft with...
  22. Multimode

AU-719 on the bench

Post #139 - AK's very own 'Traveller's Guide to National Characteristics'. ;) Post #140 - Back on topic. :D
  23. Multimode

AU-719 on the bench

Your original estimate of £400 for the AU-719 in 1979 could be near the mark after all... Elsewhere on AK, Moefuzz uploaded a Sansui press release of 26.7.1979 that said "[AU-919] is recently available in the U.K. retailing around £504", and Classic Hi-Fi says "Cost new: £480 (in 1979)". I...
  24. Multimode

AU-719 on the bench

That seems not far out. In 1980 my AU-919 was listed at £440 and I paid £400 (about £2000 in today's money). I don't think one faulty transformer necessarily means the other is at risk. Sansui build wasn't perfect; for example John discovered that a resistor had been omitted from one side of...
  25. Multimode

919 PHONO # 2 DEAD

"No one had much to say"? That's unfair to the several members who went out of their way to give advice. :( Remember, the box was still open when you rejected an earlier expert recommendation to use Nichicon KLs.
Back
Top Bottom