Search results

1. The Shocker

Is leaving a turntable sitting around unused for an extended period bad for the belts in it?

After about 2½ years of "rediscovering" records, I have given up on the format for the second time. Through my turntable journey, I gained quite a few turntables. Most of my Technics tables are direct-drive. But I have a belt drive turntable and a linear tracking table, which I believe uses a...
  2. The Shocker

Modern CD players can't do gapless playback?

Just found this video on YouTube: The person claims that no modern CD players can do gapless playback? That seems just daft. If that the case, I wonder if all modern CD players are all using the same transport, or the same decoder.
  3. The Shocker

SACD Player with optical out.

Every once in a while, I find a Sony DVD player in a thrift store that will play SACDs. A lot of the lower end models don't have analog outs, only TOSLink or Coax. Could I use one of these players with an external DAC that does DSD via TOSLink/Coax or is there some kind of DSD DRM that would...
  4. The Shocker

Simplifying my desk

I recently set up a new 28" 4K monitor on my desk and took a hard look at my desk setup. I have WAY TOO MANY ways to play my music. 1. I have my Mac setup with full access to my audio library, which is on my NAS. The Mac has a nice Topping D10S DAC on it. 2. I have a Sony Discman D-33 3. I have...
  5. The Shocker

Looking for a small CD player for use on my desk

I've been using a Sony Discman D-33 on my desk for a little while and have been pretty happy with it. What made me unhappy with it was my purchase of a Sony CDP-950 full size CD player, with a Philips TDA-1541 DAC in it. That CD player has spoiled me. Nothing else I own sounds as good, at least...
  6. The Shocker

I'm looking for a recommendation on a compact component CD Player

I want something compact that I can put on my work desk that has a nice big display on it. Optical out would be nice, but not necessary. I have quite a pile of Sony Discman players. But none of them have the nice big display I am looking for.
  7. The Shocker

CD Player acting very analog on one CD

I'm at my basement desk and listening to my copy of Boston's debut album, and on track 5 at the 2:40 mark, the left audio channel on my Sony CDP-950 is cutting in and out like a worn analog record. This is the only CD this happening on, and the CD plays just on my Denon DCM-777, which is...
  8. The Shocker

Due to quirks of service bundling I have access to Spotify, YouTube Music and Apple Music...

And I would say 90% of the time, I will listen to either a CD or a rip of that CD that's on my Raspberry Pi running PiCorePlayer. Part of this is nostalgia, and part of this is how horrid a lot remastered albums sound. Some artists will have multiple version of an album available. But a lot of...
  9. The Shocker

Yamaha CD-S303

Yamaha’s newest CD player is the CD-S303. It retails for around $340, and is a dedicated CD player. Thinking that high quality CD players that are reasonably priced are going to become rarer and rarer, I thought getting one of these now might be a good idea. Then I began watching reviews...
  10. The Shocker

Has anyone done a comparison of Logitech Media Server vs mpd

I rebuilt my Raspberry Pi music server with PiCorePlayer to get the VU meters on the screen. PiCorePlayer uses Logitech Media Server (LMS) as it's back end. All of the previous apps I have used had mpd as their bacl end. From some subjective listening tests I did this morning, I got interesting...
  11. The Shocker

Looking for a USB cable recommendation

I just spent last hour troubleshooting a high-pitched hum coming out of a brand new pair of JBL LS305P MK II speakers that I bought. After a lot of disconnecting, and reconnecting RCA cables and swapping components, the problematic cable ended up being the USB A cable from the back of my Mac...
  12. The Shocker

Why don't vintage turntable have built-in phono pre-amps?

The obvious answer is that the phono pre-amp was built into the receiver/amp. But why is this the case? What caused receiver/amp manufacturers to start including phono pre-amps in their products instead turntable manufacturers including them in the turntable?
  13. The Shocker

I got it wet after midnight

I really like these Realistic Stereo Audio Selectors. I believe a fellow AK member did a teardown of one of these things and rated it rather favorably. I just wish it had more inputs. These two give me a total of 5 usable inputs. I was thinking of getting one of these 8 input AV switches from...
  14. The Shocker

Opinions of the Denon DCM-777?

A friend of mine just called me. He's at his town dump and they had a room of stuff. He grabbed a pair of Bose 901 speakers, a Sony cassette deck, and a Denon DCM-777 6 disc changer with the single disc and 6 disc cartridge. All the stuff was free. He's giving me the DCM-777. Curious if anyone...
  15. The Shocker

Technics SL-BD22 auto-return only going back half way

I bought a Technics SL-BD22 for $25 last week. I bought it for the dust cover, but since I had it, I thought I should get it working and maybe sell it for the $25.00 I originally paid for it. Everything is working just fine EXCEPT the auto-return. It will only go back halfway, and then it drops...
  16. The Shocker

Opinions on the Sony TA-N611

Goodwill has a Sony TA-N611 amplifier sitting on the shelf for $25.00. Googling doesn't tell me a lot of about this amp other than it's 150 watts per channel. No volume knob or input selector, so it's going to need a pre-amp.
  17. The Shocker

CD player speed

Ok, this may be an odd one. I have a large collection of vintage CD players. They have all had their belts replaced and the rails on the optical pickup lubricated. And when I pop a CD in, I get different speeds between the drawer closing and the CD TOC getting detected and read. On my Denon...
  18. The Shocker

Another Deoxit Saves The Day Story And Always Check Your Settings

I have a Yamaha A520 amp I bought off a fellow AK member that I really like. I've been having issues with one of the channels being crackly and sometimes cutting out completely. I cleaned the volume pot with deoxit (aka miracle in a can), and that helped a little, but I was still having issue...
  19. The Shocker

Sony CDP-950 remote questions

I've been looking far and wide for an original RM-D650 for my Sony CDP-950 CD player. It has features I can't replicate with a universal remote. I own a Logitech Harmoney, and the following features that are missing are: 1. Volume control on the line level out (there's a fixed and variable...
  20. The Shocker

5 disc drawer changer vs cartridge changer

Is there any objective reason one is better than the other? If I am remembering my history, the cartrdige changers came out before the carousel-type drawer changers. I see cartridge changers in thrift stores all the time with the cartridge missing.
  21. The Shocker

With Oppo dead, what are the recommendations for Universal players now

I saw that Sony's TOTL Blu-ray player, the UBP-X800M2 will do SACD. DVD-A, and Blu-ray audio, but it doesn't have analog outs, just HDMI. Is there anything currently manufactured that is universal and has analog outs?
  22. The Shocker

Another Discman Acquisition: The Car Discman D-180K

A couple of things I like about this model: 1. There is a window on the top, so you can see the disc spin 2. The front contols and LCD are always illuminated while a CD is playing 3. It has a dedicated line out jack on the back, so nothing sticks out of the side. 4. This is an early Car Discman...
  23. The Shocker

Anti-skip technology in portable CD players

I'm trying to do some homework on anti-skip technology in 90s/2000s portable CD players. Sony had technology called ESP, which looks like it did lossy compression and offered 10 seconds of anti-skip protection. Then I see Sony created ESP2, which says it uses a DSP, and not buffer memory. Not...
  24. The Shocker

Opamp rolling in a DAC

I'm looking to buy a Topping D10s. It has a socketed Opamp and the Amazon listing says this is done so you can do opamp rolling. The idea kind of intrigued me, since I think that most DAC chips are the same these days, and the rest of the board, especially the opamp play a bigger role in the...
  25. The Shocker

Can a USB Powered DAC hooked up to a PC/MAC have enough power to give you line level out?

I have a Grace Design SDAC hooked up to a Mac Mini. I maxed out the Mac Mini's volume and the Mac is nowhere near as loud as the other components I have plugged into my amp. My Sony CDP-C505 CD chager is a lot louder, and I have a Raspberry PI, with a DAC HAT on it, that is also a lot louder...
Back
Top Bottom