Search results

1. MFGuy

Why are Some Tonearms Straight and Others S Shaped

I always wondered why there were two basic types of tonearms and whether there is an advantage to either one of them over the other. I won't go into linear tonearms since they appeared to be a fade. And why most new consumer TT's have straight arms. Just wondering...
  2. MFGuy

Quality of RTR Tapes

I recently purchased a Tandberg RTR. I've owned cassette decks in the past and know that tape types differed in sound quality. When purchasing used RTR tapes, does that matter... Any help or insight into this would be appreciated.
  3. MFGuy

I Need a "New" Cartridge for a Vintage Dual 1219

I'm looking for a cartridge. It would be running through the Dual into an Advent 300 receiver and then through Dynaco A-25's. So, it doesn't need to be a GREAT cartridge but I want it to be a good one. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  4. MFGuy

Tandberg 3600 XD - Was this a Mistake?

I just purchased a 3600 XD cheap and I'm wondering if I none the less made a mistake. I knew the mechanism worked but no sound output. I intend to take it to my local shop for evaluation. I noticed on the bench he had a Tandberg receiver and stated that they are a bitch to work on cause they did...
  5. MFGuy

Grado MD-43+ Worth Keeping?

I recently picked up a Dual 1219 turntable which came with a Grado MD-43+ cartridge. The stylus was trash. Is it worth trying to find a new stylus or should I buy new? Also, I don't know much about this cartridge even though I've attempted to hunt it down online. Any advice would be appreciated.
  6. MFGuy

New Turntable Decision

I'm shopping around for a turntable for a friend. I haven't purchased one in 40 years and my Dual is still working fine but I haven't kept up with the latest. Does anyone have an opinion on either the Audio-Technica AT-LP120XBT-USB vs. a comparably priced Pro-Ject table or something else around...
  7. MFGuy

Turntable Dust Covers - Do They Pick up Resonance from Speakers?

I've gotten feedback from a local dealer in very high end equipment. I asked why the belt and the motor was exposed. Would this cause dust buildup? Their answer: "Carefully using a swiffer type dust cloth works well...Some turntable designers eschew the use of a dustcover because they are known...
  8. MFGuy

My third pair of Advent Speakers - Econowave them?

I can't believe I just bought a pair of New Large Advent speakers. I thought it was a good deal at $100. Now I have 3 pairs of Large Advents (2 pair are OLA). And yet I still have a pair of KLH 5's that need a total crossover rebuild. I was thinking I could convert one of the Advent pair to...
  9. MFGuy

KLH 5 Purchase and Question - Why 2 Mid's

I recently purchased a set of 5's which I will work on this winter. One burning question I have...why are there 2 mid's? I would think that one would do. Is there any issue with the design of the mids or the crossovers that KLH engineers felt required 2 not 1?
  10. MFGuy

Turntables - Help Me Understand

I'm attempting to get my Dual 506-1 up and running again. I've reviewed threads here and elsewhere to help me. But a few things puzzle me when I read about turntables. It was my belief that the purpose of a turntable was to spin a disk at a consistent speed with as little background noise as...
  11. MFGuy

KLH 17 Strange Inside

I recently purchased a set of 17's to complete my collection of equipment I've owned through the years. They didn't sound very good (I expected that) and am going to replace the caps. This is what I found when I opened the cabinet. It looks like some critter has been inside mucking up the works...
  12. MFGuy

Considering...Marantz 2270 or McIntosh 1700

I'm very happy with my 2270 but have the opportunity to pick up a MAC 1700 at a reasonable price. I have the extra $ to spend. I just don't know if it's worth it other than just to say I have a MAC. I know the power output is very different 70 vs 40 or so. I'm also running low efficiency...
  13. MFGuy

KLH 23 Recent Purchase - Advise

I just picked up a pair of 23's. I was originally looking for the 17 to complete my inventory of previously owned speakers. However, I had a chance to pick up the 23's locally at a reasonable price (by today's standards). I have been told that I should recap the crossovers and redope the...
  14. MFGuy

Quality Recordings and Where to Find Them

OK, I've got the system I'm happy with but I'm not so happy with the recordings and/or playback equipment. System is Marantz 2270 with DLA's and Dynaco a-25's on "B", CD player is Sony NC 615. But the quality of the recordings vary greatly and ruin the experience. Any advise would be...
  15. MFGuy

Marantz 2270 with 8 and 4 ohm Speakers

This is probably more of a general question than one specifically for my Marantz. Is it OK, or safe, for 4 ohm speakers (double OLA) and 8 ohm speakers to be on at the same time...speakers A at 4 ohm + speakers B at 8 ohm?
Back
Top Bottom