Search results

1. Hamstall

Early Linn LP12

Oi Oi! LP12 serial 00091 has just turned up on the’Bay. Lack of back story suggests a deceased estate sale. Item number 126416868574
  2. Hamstall

What TT's do you folks have

Don’t want to try it, but the torque is immense.
  3. Hamstall

It was done decades ago by Philco, but the miniaturisation and refinement was relatively recent by DS Audio, a division of a computer company involved in the development of the optical mouse. Toshiba, Kenwood and a few others did them in the 1980s but different operating standards resulted in an...
  4. Hamstall

It’s simpler than you think.
  5. Hamstall

It’s a DS Audio 003.
  6. Hamstall

Technics SL1000R
  7. Hamstall

Ariston history

Hi Mac!
  8. Hamstall

The Celestion Owners Thread

Fab little things. I'd never be without a pair.
  9. Hamstall

When is an Ariston a Linn Sondek LP 12?

Cheers! Are we up and running again?
  10. Hamstall

“Hamish” is simply the Scottish version of “James”.
  11. Hamstall

Not sure about ‘wanting to bash Ivor’ per se, but his accounts of the genesis of the LP12 are various, varied and inconsistent. What do you think is the definitive story cre009?
  12. Hamstall

Or the other account from Ivor that Jim Kerr of Kerr McCosh came up with the idea.
  13. Hamstall

“Robertson Deck” 11
  14. Hamstall

It also implies that the ‘eleventh’ revision wasn’t as good as the twelfth. Which is incorrect. The RD11 had actually been marketed by C & J Walker and sold before the LP12.
  15. Hamstall

What does not add up though is since the first RD11 and first LP12 *is* without question, the same machine, why do we never hear Ivor saying “Yes, I designed the RD11. It was my idea”. If he has ever said that, I’ve not seen it. It would add a lot of credence to his story. Instead, he almost...
  16. Hamstall

Ivor’s son is perpetually a subject for ridicule I think. He appears constantly clueless with no grasp of his subject, despite being an engineering graduate. Ivor in contrast dropped out of his degree in engineering, talked as though he was Isambard Kingdom Brunel, yet in reality was probably...
  17. Hamstall

No.1 was Ariston RD11 No.1. It was offered to a friend of mine when he was looking for an LP12, but he failed to grasp its significance.
  18. Hamstall

The LVIII is superb, but the ARO works equally brilliantly, so do the AO Uniarm, TP Javelin and Moerch unipivots. A number of people report good results from Maywares. Just because Linn claim something 'works' and other systems don't appears to me to be another of their marketing red herrings...
  19. Hamstall

This is exactly what an engineer friend of mine says too. He designs defence systems, so almost certainly *is* a Rocket Scientist!
  20. Hamstall

Not me... but I think it was supposed to have been the pre-production prototype with the captive ball. Ariston RD11 SN 0000001 was a single-point.
  21. Hamstall

Thousands. And even when they had proper Linn stickers printed up for the serial number they carried on using the remaining yellow ones until they ran out, then a matching sticker to the Linn one was used in place.
  22. Hamstall

The Red Rocker and Red Button decks with the cut-off stickers are far more numerous than that. Well into the thousands. the deck Theophile posted would likely be around s/n 3000 with that power button.
  23. Hamstall

Beaujolais? Mmmmm!
Back
Top Bottom