Search results

1. KevinJS

Mahler and his music

Somewhere to stash your current Mahler listening. Audio, video, concerts, oddities; whatever you have found. Starting off with the man himself, accompanying Christiane Karg via Welte-Mignon piano rolls. Das Himmlische Leben from Des Knaben Wunderhorn.
  2. KevinJS

RIP Murray Walker

Murray Walker, the voice of Formula 1, has died at the age of 97. https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/56388596 Rest In Peace, Murray. May the “murrayisms” never be forgotten.
  3. KevinJS

Travesty or triumph? Arrangements of the classics.

To my mind, anything that introduces the classical repertoire to a new audience is to be applauded. There are many instances of quite ancient music being given new treatment and one intention of this thread is to find some of them. But what would the original composer think? Would JS Bach be...
  4. KevinJS

What "World Music" are you listening to right now...and more.

I'm looking for several things in this thread. Pop and rock music in languages other than English, regardless of the nationality. Artists from non-English speaking parts of the world. An enthusiasm for music and a wish to share your discoveries. No holds barred. If Il Traviatore is popular, in...
  5. KevinJS

Handel's Messiah on Christmas Day 2018

Which version of Handel's Messiah are you playing on Christmas Day this year? Last year we had quite a few members playing the piece. Images would be great, as would any thoughts you have about the music.
  6. KevinJS

Performances by children, vocal and/or instrumental

What have you found that caught your attention? Any genre, any style. I know YouTube videos can disappear with depressing regularity, but let's give it a try anyway. Found this one while I was looking for further information on a Georgian choir that was featured on a recording I was playing...
  7. KevinJS

Desert Island Disks

Imagine you are marooned on a desert island, with no hope of rescue. Since 1942, the BBC has run a program asking various celebrities which pieces of music they would want with them in the event of being in this position, and the reasons for their selection. In 1997, John Cleese was the...
  8. KevinJS

Vinnie Paul of Pantera has died.

Vinnie Paul, drummer and founding member of the heavy metal band Pantera, died at the age of 54 Friday night, the band announced on Facebook. No immediate cause of death was provided. Rolling Stone
  9. KevinJS

Pics of your local live music venue

Where do you go for your live music? Let's see some pics of your local concert venues. This is the Winspear Centre, in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, home of the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra.
  10. KevinJS

Artwork in your listening space

This subject was entertained in the "What are you listening to right now" thread and hasn't been acted upon as far as I know. So how have you decorated your listening space? Is it a shrine to your favourite band? What adorns your walls? Here are a couple of my decorations. Images from the...
  11. KevinJS

Handel across the world

If you are playing any version of Handel's Messiah on Christmas Day, please post here. Some information that would be cool: - Your location - Your version - Images - Any comments you want to make about the occasion or the work Initial interest shows that we have most of North America...
  12. KevinJS

Compile an album

10 tracks, that's all I ask. Don't worry about the length of the tracks. For the purposes of this thread, a CD, LP or tape can accommodate whatever you want it to. Completely open. If you want Eminem and Pavarotti on the same disk, go for it. My first compilation album looks like this: 1...
  13. KevinJS

Your Musical Discoveries

Not particularly interested in age of recording here, but obscurity is what I'm looking for. Who have you discovered who has superlative musical talent, but is relatively unknown? I'll start the ball rolling with a young lady who I recently became aware of for the first time on the equivalent...
  14. KevinJS

Yes: A Musical Journey

There has always been a Yes, but the band has been through many incarnations, to the extent that one person's Yes is a far different animal to another's. Since 1968, 19 musicians have been members of the band, and still more have been affiliated in one way or another. Some have been fired...
  15. KevinJS

4'33" - Death Metal Version

John Cage's 4'33" performed by Dead Territory. http://www.classicfm.com/composers/cage/news/death-metal-band-4-33/
  16. KevinJS

Favourite female vocalists?

There is something about the female voice that is instantly captivating, and yet no two vocalists are the same. A piece of music by one can seem entirely different when performed by another. My tastes in music are pretty eclectic and the female voice is often belting out of my speakers. In no...
  17. KevinJS

Queen: A Musical Journey

In 1968, Brian May placed an advertisement for a drummer on the noticeboard at Imperial College, London. Roger Taylor responded to the ad and was given the job. Tim Stafell was the third member, and introduced his friend, Farrokh Bulsara, to the band, who became a keen fan. The band was known...
  18. KevinJS

Rush: A Musical Journey

This thread will detail the music of one of rock's most enduring bands. I intend to write a post for each album and explore some of what was going on at the time of release of each one. The work of Rush has been part of my playlist for many years, but I don't intend to make this thread a...
  19. KevinJS

Missing posts

There appear to be 40+ posts in http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/what-are-you-listening-to-right-now.278564/page-2563#post-10423584 that have gone missing or are unviewable. Page 2560 does not show the normal number of posts and 2561/2562 show none at all. Viewing the pages as a...
  20. KevinJS

Classical vinyl Edmonton Alberta

I have no affiliation with the business I'm going to mention. This post is to inform anyone who is interested about a massive pile of classical vinyl that I have been digging through for the past couple of days. Located in Stony Plain, just west of Edmonton, Alberta, Classic Replay has...
  21. KevinJS

Opinions sought: Dream Theatre collection

I need some opinions. What would members pay for this Dream Theatre collection? I am seriously lacking DT in my collection and this is available. Greatest Hits - 2cd Set Live In Tokyo/5 Years In A Lifetime - 2 Dvd Set Live At Budokon - 1 Dvd Score 20th Anniversary- 2 Dvd Set Live At Luna Park -...
  22. KevinJS

Desert Island Discs

Occasionally, one will come across a post claiming that a piece of music is a "desert island selection" This may leave people who do not hail from the British Isles scratching their heads. It's a reference to a long running BBC Radio series which had various celebs discuss which 8 pieces of...
  23. KevinJS

Edmonton Symphony: Carmina Burana

OK, I have a soft spot for the ESO. Years and years ago they teamed up with Procul Harum and helped to invent the "group and orchestra" genre. I think Deep Purple beat them to it by a couple of years, but they certainly helped to consolidate the concept. I also have a soft spot for Carmina...
  24. KevinJS

New Year's Day concert from Vienna

Not sure whether you allow links here, so I won't supply one. If you want to hear the New Year's Day concert, it is being broadcast by ORF Ö1 on 1st January 2017 at 11:15am CET, which roughly translated as 8:15pm PST/7:17pm MDT. Google ORF ö1 for the link and hit the Live button on the...
  25. KevinJS

Contents of my cave.

OK, where to begin? May as well kick off with what I'm listening to right now. Sources are an old Windows Vista PC running Foobar2000 and a 2012 MacBookPro running iTunes. PC is hardwired to a Cambridge Audio DACMagicPlus. Mac feeds an Apple AirPort Express via AirPlay and thence to the...
Back
Top Bottom