Search results

1. toneriderMUC

New to me Au 777A and restoration questions

I finally got hold of the rare bird that is the Sansui Au 777A. In the past years I have seen the amazing rebuilds (Smurfer! Leestereo!) and also followed Smurfers journey in comparing the humble 777A to a lot of other contenders. I was able to score a unit in pristine condition. Its almost...
  2. toneriderMUC

Yamaha NS 690 II rewiring - worth it?

I have a lovely pair of Yamaha NS 690 II that are very dear to me. I plan on keeping these until I run in a pair of NS 2000 (which is gonna be the distant future... :D ) and I will now upgrade in series mid (18uf) and tweeter (2,5uf) caps to something very decent (jantzen Alumen Z and Mundorf...
  3. toneriderMUC

Sansui BA F1 restorations and questions

The Ba F1 is my first foray in Sansui separates and I scored a really nice unit. Pics will follow when its daylight again :) I am pairing it with a Conrad Johnson PV12 tube preamp and let me tell you - that is a very delightful combination. The BA F1 is in full working order but hasnt been...
  4. toneriderMUC

AU G90x Restoration - anything worth doing except caps? Resistors?

I really really like my G90x, its the best amp I've ever had (and that includes also modern ones like the Vincent Sp 331 and the Yamaha A-S 2100) and I guess I am gonna keep it for a while. So I have decided to grant him a full overhaul. I will recap the whole unit using Elna Silmic II and Wima...
  5. toneriderMUC

How to best the Sansui X-Balanced amps?

I am writing out of curiosity. I own and adore an Au x701, which not even is one of the highest Alpha models - quite in contrary. (Still, I heard side to side to an Au 607mrx and preferred the x701. The mrx was more straight wire perfect, but the x701 has more soul. Its like a silken velvet...
  6. toneriderMUC

Kenwood KD 770D - Denon DL 103 or Dynavector 10x5?

I helped myself to a wonderful Kenwood KD 770D and need a new cartridge for it. The 770D is suppused to have a medium mass tonearm (17-20g). I am currently using a Sansui Au x701 integrated with MM and MC (100 Ohm fixed) inputs. I like switching amps and therefore would like to stay in the...
  7. toneriderMUC

New PrimaLuna Power Amp - constant static crackling

I have a new PrimaLuna Prologue Four power amp and I have a problem that so far I couldnt solve: there is a constant metallic static crackling / tickling in the background. Observations about the noise: Power Amp: PrimaLuna Prologue Four Preamp: Nakamichi CA5 - noise is the same across both...
  8. toneriderMUC

Preamp choice: Sansui C2101 or Nakamichi CA5 ?

For my new PrimaLuna Four tube power amp I am searching for a capable preamp with very good(!) phono MM section. Until now I have a Sansui Alpha Integrated (Au X701) and love its smooth and detailed sound. In a preamp I would like to see a detailed, accurate and yet very musical presentation...
  9. toneriderMUC

Sansui 1000x - constant static white noise/hiss in one channel

I have a beautiful 1000x receiver that has reached me in working, but unrestored condition. When I got it, there was a lot of noise on both channels and sound was clear, but way too bright and very harsh - it was in desperate need of a refreshment. I cleaned it inside and outside, replaced...
  10. toneriderMUC

Tannoy Revolution XT 6F, Wharfedale Jade 5, or: how small are 6" ?

I am currently trying to decide between Tannoy Revolution XT 8F, the smaller Tannoy Revolution XT 6F and also the Wharfedale Jade 5. From everything I have read the XT8F is the overall more coherent speaker while it also has substantial bass. As my listening room with 18 square meters is on the...
  11. toneriderMUC

Shure M91ED & Jico SAS - omg!

So I have this M91ED on my Dual 502 turntable and I really like it. As usual in this hobby, I was pondering possible changes and improvements - and finally, after a couple of years of waiting, finally got a Jico SAS. I was always wondering, will I be able to hear the difference from a 200€...
  12. toneriderMUC

Sansui 1000x restoration - Suzuki cap replacement

My newly acquired 1000x needs a recap and restoration. I am currently making a parts list for mouser. I will also replace all 2SC458LG transistors, but I was very surprised to find SUZUKI (oil?) caps in the 1000x. I always thought their use was restricted to tube equipment back then. on power...
  13. toneriderMUC

Experience with Troels Gravesens crossover kits?

I am thinking about getting Troels crossover kit for my JBL L112, it sounds really promising. Before, I am trying to find reviews or experiences with them, but information is scarce. He seems to know what he is doing, but has anyone tried his crossover kits?
  14. toneriderMUC

JBL L112 - as good as the Yamaha NS 690 ?

I've been using the Yamaha NS 690 II for almost ten years now. Many amps have come and gone, but they stayed. They stayed, even though I have a love/hate relationship with them. I love the incredible dynamics, resolution and effortlessness that they have. I dont like their reproduction of highs...
  15. toneriderMUC

Sansui Au x701 - identifying of resistors

My Au x701 is also suffering from the dreaded glue corrosion and I'd like replace all affected parts when I am removing the glue. I have already found original replacements for 2SA1145, but I have trouble with the resistors. Problem is that I am not used at all to read color codes and there is...
  16. toneriderMUC

Where to go from the Au x701? Less clinical, more attitude!

I am currently running an Au x701 through my Yamaha NS 690s and it is the best amplifier I have ever owned. It plays effortless everything I throw at him. Classical, Jazz, Heavy Metal - it doesnt matter, he doesnt break a sweat. Its incredibly fast and incredibly detailed. And... incredibly...
  17. toneriderMUC

New to me: Sansui Au 70 - where to mod and improve?

I finally managed to get hold of some Sansui Tubes - a wonderful example of the Au 70. The previous owner had it serviced at a tube tech. It has all electrolytics replaced, new tubes and is cosmetically in a fantastic condition. Ah, but here is some pictures. The front is in an almost mint...
  18. toneriderMUC

AU 7500 - warbling noise on left channel in phone stage

I have acquired a somewhat beaten up AU 7500. It plays nice using the Tuner and Aux in, but has severe problems in the phono stage: When selecting "phone" input, there is a strong warbling static noise on the left channel. A bit like some rumbling wind blowing through the speaker. The right...
  19. toneriderMUC

Sansui AS 200 Speaker restauration

Well, I was able to get my hands on a pair of As 200 speakers. They look a bit beaten up and I want to give them a nice allover restauration! They are functional and sound really nice and laid back, but I also feel they need a bit attention on the technical side. The front grills are full of...
  20. toneriderMUC

Missing bulb for Sansui 310 Receiver

On my Sansui 310 only part of the scale is lit. The needle is lit while the meter remains dark: I had a look the meter and there seems to be some kind of holder with two wires leading there, but with nothing in it. I guess, this is where the lighting should happen.. :beatnik: What kind...
  21. toneriderMUC

Rule of thump to identify Caps in signal path

I was wondering, when recapping, if there is a rule of thump of how to know where more expensive caps are useful (e.g. Silmic, Muse KZ, etc) and where the more basic stuff (Panasonic FC, etc) is enough since the impact on sonics is not given. I am not able to "read" the board layout and know...
  22. toneriderMUC

Sansui Au X-701 - low volume?

I was incredibly lucky to score a Au X-701 for an incredible 230€. its everything everyone claims it is, plus this unit arrived also clean and basically scratch-free. Sound is very clean and liquid, effortless and detailed. It really sounds great. So why am I writing? One thing is troubling me...
  23. toneriderMUC

Sansui 310 recap - whats up with the Suzuki oil caps?

Hello :) As my first restoration I want to recap a nice little 1973 Sansui 310 Receiver. I got it cheap and dirty, but after removing dust and grease, it really shines again. Want to do a full recap and already got a list of the needed caps. I also found four "Suzuki Oil JCP-A" caps of the...
  24. toneriderMUC

First Sansui! Au 555A ...and underwhelmed.

I finally scored my first Sansui. An Au 555A in PRISTINE condition. Apart from one minor scratch on the wood, this little sweety looks basically like new. It is all original and has never been serviced. Its not only in mint condition, it also came along with all the original papers in unused...
  25. toneriderMUC

First DIY: Yamaha NS 690 II recap

As my first project I want to recap my pair of Yamaha NS 690 II speakers. Parts list is as follows: 3,5 uF 100v MPM Nichigon -> This is a mighty fine looking long cap made of shiny metal Could be replaced with: ClarityCap PX MKP 3,6 uF 250v 2,5F 160v -> Will be replaced with Jantzen Z Standard...
Back
Top Bottom