Search results

1. bronco

5AR4 Tube Trouble

My st70 destroyed several Russian and one NOS Mullard 5AR4 tubes. I put in a Toshiba about 7 years ago and no issues thereafter, they are one tough tube.
  2. bronco

Do you like the new format???

I'm sure the guys operating the site are well aware that the numbers are down as this was probably the biggest change I can remember since I showed up 10 years ago. Given the fact people are volunteering their time to get this right, and since this is the place where I actually learned how to...
  3. bronco

Do you like the new format???

I do not like it at all, clumsy and way too much space wasted. I have seen several forums change their format in similar ways and the views/usage declined significantly.
  4. bronco

Tung Sol 12ax7 resissues any good?

I have nearly every make and varient of vintage 12AX7, and would rate the new "Tung Sol" below every single one of them. However, the originals are one of the very best 12AX7. Just buy a decent testing pair of used vintage 12AX7 and enjoy them, they will most likely outlast any of the new...
  5. bronco

Power transformer secondary rating

Yes, I plan on running both the B+ and the 5v into the PS-4, as well as the 6.3v heaters so it will be at its limit. It is a really large transformer, keeping everything within the current draw of the Admiral amp hopefully it will run fairly cool.
  6. bronco

Thank you Douglas and Tom. I think I can configure the PS-4 in a voltage doubler configuration (again not using the center tap since this configuration would utilize only the + and - inputs to get 12.6v), at the expense of losing half of the amperage rating so I would have at least 1.8 amps...
  7. bronco

I have a question regarding a power transformer I am salvaging from an old Admiral 5N3 amplifier for a Glassware PS-4 power supply. I plan to use only the two green taps for + and - 6.3v (leaving the center tap unused) to get a 12.6v for the heater input on the Glassware PS-4 power supply...
  8. bronco

Help a brother out?

Interesting. I have a couple of made in Austria Mullard EL-84, but they are appear to be Tungsgram manufactured. They look much different than yours, these have two holes in the plate and a solid disc getter.
  9. bronco

Dynaco PAS 2 vs. PAS3x

If you are planning on doing any mods, or even just removing the tone controls, keep the PAS2. The stock PAS3X is rarer, more collectible, and will fetch more money when you sell it.
  10. bronco

Dynaco ST-70 mod poll

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. None of my other amps require any more maintenance than my ST-70. In fact, some of them are self biasing so they are less maintenance.
  11. bronco

Dynaco ST-70 mod poll

Then how do you explain the popularity of ST-70 modifications? I would rate my Curcio modded ST-70 amongst the best amplifiers I have listened to. A lot of people not fond of the stock ST-70 sound really enjoy it in modified form, including its EL-34s. I am sure all of our particular set-ups...
  12. bronco

Stromburg Carlson ASR-120 thoughts

I had the same experience as you with an ASR-120 amplifier. It was mainly noticeable in the pause between songs, or a quiet passage in music. Still, it was enough of an irritant that I ended up getting rid of mine. A shame, it had really nice highs, particularly with RCA 6V6GT blackplates.
  13. bronco

Dynaco ST-70 mod poll

It was completely dissasembled, and re-assembled with all new wiring, capacitors, resistors, and tube sockets. The only change in parts from the original specifications was replacement of the selenium rectifier with modern diodes. I'm comparing it to the many other amplifiers I have own/have...
  14. bronco

Dynaco ST-70 mod poll

Totally agree, I managed to make it only about two months listening to a completely restored, bone-stock ST-70. Mush is a perfect description: flubby bass and rolled-off highs. I rolled many output tubes in it, and could never tighten it up.
  15. bronco

Please recommend a vintage 12 ax 7

To brighten it up I would recommend RCA grey plates or Telefunkens
  16. bronco

New Tung Sol 12AX7

I have several each of round and square getter Tungsols. I do not hear a whole lot of difference between them. You sure are correct about the detailed sound, I think they are probably the most detailed of any 12AX7, but without any harshness. The tonal balance is flawless, as well. My...
  17. bronco

New Tung Sol 12AX7

I've tested nearly every brand of 12AX7, and I would rate the new TungSol near the absolute bottom of the barrel. Muddy and grainy with poor sound staging. Any vintage 12AX7, even the lesser regarded such as GE or Sylvania, are much better IMO. Vintage square getter Tungsol 12AX7? Now...
  18. bronco

7199 - 6u8a

Try to find some Tungsol 6U8 (both blackplate and grey plate are excellent), really nice sounding tubes.
  19. bronco

anyone had bad can caps from CE manufacturing?

I had one with one section that failed with less than 40hrs use on a Stromberg Carlson ASR-433. Also, I believe it was a CE brand replacement can capacitor on my ST-70, and that failed, as well. I usually just replace the cans with individual caps, wish I would have done so both of those...
  20. bronco

A few German/Telefunken 12AX7 types I hadn't seen before.

I have a pair of tubes identical to your Ultron, I have never seen another one before until you posted those. What do you think of the sound? Mine are the most bass heavy 12AX7 that I have heard, not particularly good sounding but I suppose in the right application they might be the ticket.
  21. bronco

Where to buy NEW tubes?

Another recommendation for Jim McShane, a genuinely nice guy to deal with
  22. bronco

Recommend some live albums

Gov't Mule - "Live at Roseland Ballroom" The Allman Brothers Band- "An Evening With The Allman Brothers Band, 2nd Set" Gov't Mule - "Live... With A Little Help From Our Friends"
  23. bronco

Best bass 12AX7?

RFT have the most bass of any 12AX7 I have listened too (currently have them in a preamp that sounded too thin for my tastes), followed by vintage Mullard short plates.
  24. bronco

General Consensus on Mullard EL34 Reissue

Give the Groove Tubes Mullard XF-2 copy a try. My favorite of the new manufacture EL-34.
  25. bronco

ST 70 Supper edition?

Doubles as a hot plate?
Back
Top Bottom