Search results

1. McGuyDF

How to safely pack and ship used McIntosh

if you are just moving but not shipping it, I've done it just by putting it in my trunk, with blankets and towels are around it, and driving carefully. Otherwise, best bet is to order a box set from McIntosh - it will be more expensive than the usual box sets due to the size and all of the...
  2. McGuyDF

McIntosh MT2 Turntable

I can attest to the value of the VTI. Great looking, functional, fillable with sand (which I haven't done b/c it looks like a pain) and CHEAP!!!!!!!! I have a 5 tire and it was under $400 shipped
  3. McGuyDF

My first Mcintosh piece

I would just get the mc2100 serviced, plain and simple. A service is $300 max - I just had my 2105 and c28 serviced for under $600 total before I sold them last month.
  4. McGuyDF

they're pretty dead on when they say a week. I ordered my MR77 box, came last week. Ordered my 2105 box last week, it'll arrive tomorrow. $55 for the MR77, $70 for the 2105 - wonder if the higher price on the amp box is due to it including a wood base or just a stronger box. We'll see...
  5. McGuyDF

and yes, still $55 for a preamp box from McIntosh
  6. McGuyDF

MR-77

I have an MR77 as well. I wasn't getting great reception, even with a magnum dynalab, took it in to a local guy for service - $139 later, amazing difference! love it
  7. McGuyDF

McIntosh MT2 Turntable

so, from what I understand, this was originally supposed to be priced at $2500, clearly it isn't now. And it's actually a ClearAudio "Concept" based table - which you can get for a lot less money from ClearAudio.
  8. McGuyDF

2105/C28 prices going up!

yeah, saw the same person selling a 2105, C28 and MR77 for $15k on ebay, it's probably still there. I happen to have this exact setup, and I bought my stuff off ebay a year ago and maybe, maybe paid $3k for all 3 pieces, including shipping and including the additional funds for 2 walnut cabinets...
  9. McGuyDF

Help with pre amp choice

have you thought about the C28? I have one and it has a great phono stage, for MM carts only obviously.
  10. McGuyDF

Turntable cable

I'm now getting a hum on my VPI Prime Scout - brand new. everything is grounded. hum is only when I switch over to the TT on my McIntosh C28. TT is connected to an MP100 phono preamp. when nothing is playing, you can hear the hum as you increase the volume. annoying as hell. Can't fix it...
  11. McGuyDF

McIntosh XR50 Bookshelf Speakers

I never understood the term bookshelf. yes, I get it, but if they're rear porting, as most are, you can't use them in a bookshelf at all.
  12. McGuyDF

Mcintosh C28 restoration

order the glass now regardless so you're in the cue for it.
  13. McGuyDF

Ever sell a McIntosh Piece by Piece? Why?

love my MR77 - paid around $500 and just had it serviced for $139 - listening to it now actually - fantastic piece.
  14. McGuyDF

Electronic Engineers - Chicago. Anyone ever used them?

well, you have to recall, I have my magnum dynalab antenna located INSIDE my house, by a window. that having been said, the sound is 100% better than before. I could not pick up anything in stereo before the servicing of the unit. Now I can get 90% of the stations. Depending on the time of day...
  15. McGuyDF

Mcintosh C28 restoration

Regarding the glass, call McIntosh ASAP, as they only do runs when they have enough orders, could be 3-6 months easily. I got lucky with a 2105 glass, someone cancelled their order the same day I called, $130 and I had it in a week. Or try audio classics, they may have one. I bought my C28 off...
  16. McGuyDF

he is definitely NOT a Mc fan! and he's pretty funny/vocal about it but he sure fixes the hell out of them.
  17. McGuyDF

Casper is nothing if not frank! he insulted the hell out of my C28 and then emailed to apologize and said he didn't really mean it. he's such a cool guy.
  18. McGuyDF

So, i took my MR77 to Casper at Stereo Rehab. I was not able to get any stereo stations in - mono was fine. I have a magnum dynalab antenna connected but it's inside my house by a window, so I know that's not the best setup. Decided to have the MR77 serviced, just for the hell of it. Dropped it...
  19. McGuyDF

MC2105 LED Lighting

you are correct about glass removal in general. It's replacing it that's touchy but also, I cracked the glass the first time when I just moved the unit. I think the problem then was that (a) it wasn't in a cabinet yet and (b) it might have been on the carpet and the carpet caught the front of...
  20. McGuyDF

MC2105 LED Lighting

the real issue is removing the glass - sucker cracks if you sneeze to close to it. already broke it once. if i was smart I'd order glass now for all 3 components just to have on hand...takes 3-6 months to get them
  21. McGuyDF

MC2105 LED Lighting

not sure what the 2105 bulbs are but the ones on ebay look like the one above...
  22. McGuyDF

MC2105 LED Lighting

not positive. by bayonet, you mean the ones that have connector on either side of the bulb? meaning they install "sideways"?
  23. McGuyDF

MC2105 LED Lighting

nice and bright. where did you get the LEDs? I've gotten them off ebay before and sent them back, not bright enough.
  24. McGuyDF

MC2105 LED Lighting

I'm in this boat now. I feel that my illumination is very weak, other than in a pitch black room, which it never is while listening. Wondering if I should go LED or just replace my current bulbs with new. Talking about 2105 which is obviously close to 40 year old!
  25. McGuyDF

Emailed Casper, very quick response. Might try to get to him tomorrow with my MR77 McIntosh tuner.
Back
Top Bottom