Search results

1. marc mc

Securing Your Home Audio Equipment

I live an hour north of Toronto. Front door is rarely locked, back door is never locked. I have not heard of or know anyone who has ever had their house broken into.
  2. marc mc

What is it about tall skinny speakers..................

Elipson Collonne. Nuff said! Marc mc
  3. marc mc

Can you hear the difference...

A surprising amount of amps sound alike. A smaller number sound quit a bit different. A few sound incredibly better. Marc mc
  4. marc mc

Has Inflation Driven Up The Cost Of Used Audio Gear?

Mr Pig, Its no mystery It's all going to China. They go crazy for all of it. I live in Canada and everything has basically doubled. It's not audio guys up here we all have mountains of gear. An old Bryston 4B can fetch $800 and be gone in a couple days. I know a guy that has seen a warehouse...
  5. marc mc

Has Inflation Driven Up The Cost Of Used Audio Gear?

I can't speak for the States ( I live in Canada) but have been told by people I know who are big sellers that the hunger for big name audio is huge in China. They are crazy for Western anything and they have the cash to buy it at any price. A percentage of sweepers who used to buy and resell...
  6. marc mc

Exploring Options for Electronic Crossovers Again

I own 6 active crossovers but on my main active set up I use this. http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-TA-D88B.html I have all the modules including the impossible to find "0" module. With cutoffs for 50-80-100 cycles. It can be used for 2-3 or 4 way and has RCA's throughout. Marc mc
  7. marc mc

What makes a sub 'musical'?

My son plays his drum kit all the time. I can hear the kick drum. Who comes up with this stuff. Read Newman people. The rules of accurate bass in rooms is not theories and old mantras. All this stuff has been studied, measured and proven. Read it, get subs that can perform it, apply the rules...
  8. marc mc

Green Day, Sting, Stevie Ray Vaughan headline 2015 Rock Hall nominees

It's a buisness. They know they cannot please everyone so they use the controversy as marketing. I heard a DJ the other day go on for about 5 minutes about pretty much the same things being discussed here so it looks like its working for them to perfection. A buisness like the Hall of Fame...
  9. marc mc

What makes a sub 'musical'?

I recommend that anyone with a sincere interest in using subs for improved audio performance read newman's posts here and on other threads slowly and carfully. It is no exaggeration for me to say that they turned my thinking on its head and have resulted in massive benefits to my audio enjoyment...
  10. marc mc

Founder of Stereophile rails against Audiophiles for losing their way

I used to get blasted for saying that. Audiophiles don't want to hear their on a sinking ship. People tend to think everybody sees things for the most part like them. The idea that future generations were ever going to fill an entire wall of their living space with some big monstrosity of a...
  11. marc mc

People disparaging vinyl records

IMO the non-norm today is CD's. They are suffering the fate that LP's suffered 30 years ago. I am cleaning up on cheap CD's like I did with vinyl all those years ago. The mainstream is now downloading free and dropping CD's off the cliff the same way they did with their records. I brought a...
  12. marc mc

People disparaging vinyl records

Forget about a guy in a bookstore in 2014! Back in the 80's the high end audio community set out on the total destruction of vinyl. Many here might not know that when CD's came out and the big companies were all on the bandwagon, vinyl was buried in a shallow grave by our hobby. I was in...
  13. marc mc

anyone collect braun gear?

Here is a couple shots of my Braun LV 710 active crossover plates. These are Tri amp plates with the crossover built all in one. The drivers connect direct to the leads for bass, mid and highs. These plug into the wall. They have adjustments for the bass level and the mid/highs. plus overall...
  14. marc mc

Ads question

Are yours passive? Have you run your 910's with the bi or tri amp cards? Marc mc
  15. marc mc

What have you learned from AK?

I learned about the clear and obvious advantages of multiple subs. Which I'm glad to see is slowly gaining ground on AK. Marc mc
  16. marc mc

Do You Buy Sight-Unseen Online?

We have a great site here in Canada. The feedback system and close community make things very safe. Too many people know too many other people for any hooligans. We are all friends through other friends. If you screw up your DONE! Marc mc
  17. marc mc

What vintage speaks do you have that were made locally to you?

Hanson, Clements, Dayton-Wright, Delta 15's, Energy 22's. All made 45 minutes from where I live. Our Government spent a bunch of money and the NRC produced some mighty fine speakers in Canada. The list is some of what I own. The total number and names that came from Floyd's research is a mile...
  18. marc mc

What unknown speakers do you have that have you grinning?

Hanson-Zylberberg Technologies Speakers. These are something very special. Made in the early 80's in Willowdale Ont. I have the Hanson Monitors and the later version RST II's with the external crossover. marc mc
  19. marc mc

Bi-amping without electronic crossover. Why?

Hey it is what it is. The system in my sig is as straight as it gets. Peter McAlister is a buddy that lives 10 minutes away. My downstairs system is a monster and both do what they do. marc mc
  20. marc mc

My main system is 4 way active and uses 6 amps, and 3 preamps. with the main speakers made up of 8 drivers per side. Lots of fun setting it up. marc mc
  21. marc mc

All true. I use this one http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-TA-D88B.html I also have all the models including the insanely rare "0" module with its 50-80-100 Hz cutoffs. This is the heart of my 4 way active main system which also has 4 subs and uses 6 amps. I have said many times that IMO...
  22. marc mc

Ever buy an LP just for the cover...

When I was a little kid I loved snakes. I wanted Alice Cooper Killer for the Boa picture. The first time I heard Under My Wheels, I was an instant rocker. I was 6. Marc mc
  23. marc mc

Is it naive to pay for music and books in 2013?

I don't actually know how to download anything. But clearly believe that If something is copy written and you take it without paying for it, you stole it regardless of self justifying excuses. Once upon a time everybody knew that. Marc mc
  24. marc mc

Can you remember how and where you good hooked on true audio gear ..

Arthur Salvatore got me into audio at his store in the early 80's. Marc mc
Back
Top Bottom