Search results

1. S

Show us your flea-watts amps!

Thanks! Crafted the case from pallet wood using finger joinery.
  2. S

Show us your flea-watts amps!

SE El84 home brew converted from a 60's Roberts-Akai reel-to-reel power amp. Circuit is based upon Maggie 8601 with added phono stage, driving Hsu Research Hb-1 Mk2's. Love his little amp.
  3. S

New Audio Technica AT-LP120XUSB

Removing the preamp will open up the sound considerably.
  4. S

Magnavox 8601 picking speakers

Yes, I read that thread with interest and have in mind to give it a go as I have a stash of 12BH7's. Thanks for posting it up! Yes these speakers are pretty efficient (and cheap) and work well in smallish rooms (which our house has) and obviously sound very big in a closet. Never had room for...
  5. S

The subject is no less relevant tho. Lotta people tinkering with these little amps.
  6. S

Maggie 8606 and R15M’s in my “soldering closet”. Pure sonic nirvana.
  7. S

Line and Phono Preamp project to complement Maggie 9303 el84 Power Stage

Here are a number of phono pre's I referenced for a phono stage I added to a single-ended amp I built. I believe the first one, IIRC is taken from an HK A300 and is approximately what I ended up with. The last one is the classic phono stage taken from the RCA tube manual.
  8. S

Are the sealed brown paper capacitors worth replacing

You can find them at higher voltage ratings. I have sourced them primarily from Chinese sellers on ebay. I've got them in 400v and 630v ratings. Here's one...
  9. S

Are the sealed brown paper capacitors worth replacing

I've grown to really appreciate the tonal properties of polyester film (Mylar) caps. I actually prefer the little, green "chicklets" over the brown or orange. I also prefer them to the highly coveted PIO bumblebee caps for use as guitar tone caps (Hey, Hendrix used them!). They're also a heck of...
  10. S

Tube amp restoration

6. Don't work late at night when you're tired. (Ask me how I know.) Yes, perhaps start with a simple integrated...Scott, Fisher, Harman Kardon or the like and put up a thread for your project. You are in good hands here. I never fail to amazed at the depth of knowledge and electronic brilliance...
  11. S

Help with caps on 299c

Reversed polarity on the power supply filter caps could cause this. Check that the polarity is correct on each electrolytic cap. If they are not, the polarity reversal will have compromised/damaged them so you'll want to replace them.
  12. S

harman/kardon A30K recap: final stage help

I picked up another completely origainal A300 with it's original two-prong power cord. The previous two examples also had their original cords and hummed badly until I replaced them with three-prong cords grounded to the chassis. This one too, had the hum issue that is so loud you can hear it...
  13. S

1960 Stromberg-Carlson Signet 33 Guitar conversion!

Dude, that sounds awesome!!!
  14. S

Curtis Mathis?

Very cool that you got the whole package. To my knowledge these are quite rare. I picked up a CM power amp from one of these as a chassis-pull a while back. This amp was fairly stock save for having had the cooling fins on the PT removed. I converted it into an integrated stereo by adding a...
  15. S

This amp is no longer even close to original so I guess that point is mute. I too have had a lot of experience with vintage hi-fi and guitar amps that still had their original two-prong power cords and idled quietly. Yes, it could be the caps but it is also possible that it is simply the power...
  16. S

Have you replaced the power cord with a three-prong grounded type with the earth wire grounded directly to the chassis? I have two of these (A300's) that both hummed badly when I first acquired them and the most significant hum reduction to near silence was from simply doing this. Agree that...
  17. S

Letting a tube amp idle...Punishable offense?

I once discovered a small hi-if amp in my son’s room had been on for over two weeks while he was away on a trip. No damage to tubes or otherwise, tho I gave him an earful when he returned!
  18. S

Yes, it is good to have a variety of values for the cathode resistor to experiment with. I like to have increments of 10 ohms. So dropping from 250....240, 230, etc... If you determine the plate dissipation with the existing circuit that will tell you how far to go out. For instance, if the...
  19. S

Firstly, the attached scheme is not showing. Secondly, those are not cathode bias resistors, they are grid resistors and that change in value will not affect anything as 220K is a typical value and reference the grid to ground. If your intent is to bias the tubes "hotter" then you'll need to...
  20. S

whats the best sounding "small" speaker you've ever heard

Yes, the quality is amazing for the price and no, I use a Dayton Audio sub.
  21. S

whats the best sounding "small" speaker you've ever heard

Hsu Research HB-1 Mk2's are the best small speakers I've come across. I'll never sell them.
  22. S

When is the time to recapped the power supply of a tube amp

If the amp gets regular use, those caps will last most of the remainder of your lifetime, IMO.
  23. S

Good point. I usually do the same, particularly with 9-pin sockets. I find octal sockets seem to be a little easier to salvage and tighten up.
  24. S

Nice. I had a feeling it was of the golden era. The LS80's are also sublime instruments. I have a number of early 80's Tokai's myself. Two 100's and a 120. All solid flame tops from between '79 and 81. I look forward to hearing the amp after you're done tweaking and troubleshooting.
  25. S

That's a nice looking Tokai. Is it early 80's? What model? I've tried doing conversions like this but have found them to be more tedious than they are worth for the tone you will get from them. It is easier to gut the chassis (and existing circuit) save for the transformers and tube sockets and...
Back
Top Bottom