Search results

1. Cajunchuck

Dave at it again in Little Rock

T This guy is still at it? I had to flag this ad twice today. Sheesh get a life.
  2. Cajunchuck

S.M.S.L. SU-9, Impressions After 1 Week

Very possible based upon how it sounded. I am by no means a pro listener but the old D30 easily beat it in my system. In any case, it's going back. The shenanigans by SMSL on the ASR forum left me with a bit of distrust. I would love for them to test one of the "fixed" units.
  3. Cajunchuck

S.M.S.L. SU-9, Impressions After 1 Week

Well my SU-9 is going back. Received it last week and from the initial listen I was a bit underwhelmed. Compared to my old Topping D30 it sounded terrible. Zero soundstage at all. All the sound coming from the middle. Gave it a good try all week but never really impressed me. Just boxed it...
  4. Cajunchuck

Suggestion for Floor Stander under $800

I don't understand JBL and these "sales". Being that the quarterly discounts are now widely known, who would buy a set at full price?
  5. Cajunchuck

Upgrade from Topping D30

Ordered an SMSL SU9 from Amazon last night. Seems to check all the boxes for my needs. Too bad I read about the “issue” after the fact. Hope I receive one of the fixed versions.
  6. Cajunchuck

Upgrade from Topping D30

For some reason the Topping D30 Pro is shouting at me. Since my budget is $500 it may be a decent choice. Any opinions on this one?
  7. Cajunchuck

Upgrade from Topping D30

Thanks for the suggestions! Regarding my system, let me preface this by saying that I am by no means experienced with a large variety of gear. I live in south Louisiana, which I jokingly call an "audio desert". All the hi-fi stores around here went the way of the dodo by the mid-nineties...
  8. Cajunchuck

Upgrade from Topping D30

After much thought and consideration I have decided that I would like to spend a few bucks on my stereo. My current system consists of a topping D30 running RCA into my Akitika preamp to a Crown XLS 1502 to a pair of JBL Studio 590s. Primary source is a Chromecast Audio streaming Spotify...
  9. Cajunchuck

Look what came in the mail today

Well it was only two that wouldn’t light up and everything seemed to work normally but I just couldn’t live with it. Emailed Dan and he sold me a new board with all the components for a very reasonable price. Made damn sure to build it properly. I’m just pointing out that for me the LEDs were...
  10. Cajunchuck

Look what came in the mail today

I built mine almost two years ago. I am still amazed by how good it sounds. Make sure the polarity on the LEDs is correct before soldering. I put all mine in backwards at first and ended up lifting the trace on the PCB in a couple spots trying to desolder them. Dan was very helpful in...
  11. Cajunchuck

Most noticeable DAC upgrade over a Chromecast Audio

I experienced a noticeable improvement over the CCA DAC when I hooked up my modest Topping D30. To my unwashed ears anyway. I feel it was a very worthwhile upgrade.
  12. Cajunchuck

Bi-amping Studio 590s

Yes and I already considered that issue. I know that high frequencies generally require less power from an amp so 100 wpc may be enough. I think this is one of those things I’ll just have to see for myself. Matching the two amps outputs shouldn’t be too much of an issue since the Crown has...
  13. Cajunchuck

Bi-amping Studio 590s

I'm not really sure which direction I want to go here. Thanks to all that gave suggestions. I am absolutely in love with the sound these speakers provide even with a cheap (but generally well-reviewed) "pro amp". I suppose that I am a bit bored and just want to tinker a little. I am also...
  14. Cajunchuck

Bi-amping Studio 590s

Any idea if the Schiit Vidar might be a decent choice? I’d really like to go with newer gear as I don’t have many resources near my area that can work on electronics.
  15. Cajunchuck

Bi-amping Studio 590s

I have been enjoying mine using a Crown XLS 1502 for a while but I feel they could maybe use a bit more sparkle and clarity on the high end. I am considering using the Crown on the lows and another, perhaps more refined amp for the highs. Can anyone recommend a good amp for this? Preferably...
  16. Cajunchuck

JBL Studio 590 owners chime in...

I love mine. Paid less than a grand a couple years ago during one of their "sales" and they just keep getting better. I have not found a genre of music they do poorly. I am powering these with an Akitika preamp I built with a Crown XLS 1502 and a Topping D30 DAC. LOL. Looking for a new home...
  17. Cajunchuck

What tickets are in your pocket? (What's the next concert you are headed to?)

KISS is coming to my town soon. Thinking of going see them (never have before).
  18. Cajunchuck

Cerwin Vega D9s - Big Disappointment.

Something is wrong with your D9s.
  19. Cajunchuck

JBL Studio 590, 580, 520C and 530 - 5xx Series On Sale!

Very strange. I had zero issues when I ordered mine back in November. Sound very nice as well. I would try again if I were you.
  20. Cajunchuck

What audio equipment did you at first think was Terrible, but now are in "awe" of?

Cerwin-Vega D9 speakers. They have been replaced by others but I still crank them up once in a while. For rock/metal they are amazing.
  21. Cajunchuck

AK member of the decade

Ultumax :jump:
  22. Cajunchuck

Craigslist people are killing me...

You guys and gals that have luck selling stuff on CL/FB/Letgo whatever are fortunate. Down here in the swamp all you get are broke teenagers offering to trade for junk mostly. I am actively making plans to eventually move to a more affluent area. For now I have given up selling pretty much...
  23. Cajunchuck

Bose .. love it or leave it .. but

Bose 301 series IIs driven by an early/mid 1980s Akai 65 WPC receiver at near-max volume really stunned me. The system was owned by a friend of mine that had won a Honda 125 3-wheeler in a Ducks Unlimited raffle then promptly sold it and ran straight to the electronics store. We were fourteen...
  24. Cajunchuck

Vintage Sansui with new Wharfdale Linton Heritage

Those Lintons have impedance characteristics that can be a bit of a challenge to some amps. I don't know much about your Sansui but I would research thoroughly before I committed.
  25. Cajunchuck

2nd PREAMP Suggestions?

This is the route I went (only it's the newer PR 102). Couldn't be happier with it.
Back
Top Bottom