Search results

1. loudnoises

What happened in here... Apt Holman pre

Picked up this old girl a few weeks ago, finally getting around to checking it out. Cosmetics not bad. All parts are there. Doesn't appear to have been modded. Bottom missing screws. Switch pcb missing all screws... It looks like somebody reworked the solder? Or is this how they looked...
  2. loudnoises

Ready to dive in, but distractions have appeared...

I've been gathering parts for an rh84 build for a while now. Just got everything together finally. Then an m7 fell into my lap. Then an aph-1050 appeared. Oh and I've still got the pair of 40s mononlocks that need everything and I've got very limited documentation on. And I've still yet to...
  3. loudnoises

Ar2 with bad tweeter- 2a midrange?

I've an ar2 with two blown tweeters and one with a good set. Found a set of 2a midranges. What if I put one in each with a good tweeter?
  4. loudnoises

I'm doing something wrong here...

Every now and again I find myself butting up against a wall, this is one of those times. Technics sp-25 in the probase. Has the pu-402 / s-220 piezo/syntec arm. General consensus is that the arm isn't half bad. Bearings seem fine, it's not as lively as others, but it's smooth moving. I...
  5. loudnoises

Crown dc300a

So I've a dc300a ii I used for a year or so with no real issues. Turnoff pop, but minor. Did low end duty for me, very nice lows and plenty of power. Then it started passing the occasional pop, and the shutdown pop got worse so I added it to the pile to be checked. I'm not finding anything...
  6. loudnoises

Making a box bigger.

So I've a lovely pair of Santanas, and often thought about putting the drivers in bigger boxes. The foot of the box is stepped in, so I could just make a 5 sided base and insert the existing box from above. But to connect the two spaces I would need to cut through the bottom of the existing box...
  7. loudnoises

The dreaded dynaudio 24w100 - foam in coil

I tried so hard. On my second driver, somehow I missed some of the old vent foam. It's fallen inside and is binding the coil. Any suggestions? Borescope and some bent tweezers?
  8. loudnoises

Magnavox micromatic tables - why?

I've a couple different micromatic tables. There's a lot of info out there on a couple models, but I'm coming up empty on finding some real comparisons. Are these worth the effort? I'm torn between refurbishing and just swapping in a newer table. They're early versions with the dual idlers...
  9. loudnoises

The best of each decade?

I'm my attempts to limit the number of tables in my living room, I've been trying to keep it to one per decade or so. One for the 50s, one for the 60s, and so on. I'm failing horribly of course, as the 70s-80s are flush with excellent options. Decade by decade, what would be your choice? Let's...
  10. loudnoises

Channel separation

Listening to a Stanton 750, claims 27db. Sounds a bit better than the shures in that regard. What's the ceiling? Does 30db sound that much better? Did anyone ever make a split cantilever system that played traditional lps? Or maybe a dual needle setup with one channel delayed?
  11. loudnoises

Dynaudio 24w100 surrounds

Need some new foams. Usually I find a few options, but I'm only finding one, and it's from a company I've not used before... Anyone have some insight on these?
  12. loudnoises

Speaker Id please - dynaudio somethings

Just a badge on the front. Backs have nothing. Heavy.
  13. loudnoises

Well this changes things. Sp-25

I was done buying tables. Too many here and too many disappointments, and the market is getting stupid for the good stuff. Well I'm still done, but I squeezed another in this afternoon. Price was very right. Plinth has some veneer issues, it's got no feet. Arm needs some weights and a bar but...
  14. loudnoises

Bic 960 spins too fast

Everything belt is cleaned with 91%, bearing fully cleaned and fresh lube. And now it's spinning too fast... The orange Bic belt doesn't seem to be the same as any other belt I've used, is excessive speed an indicator of an old belt? The 980 has a pitch adjust, the 960 does not sadly. It's at...
  15. loudnoises

Garrard tp12 tonearm on 4hf - sounds flat, where to start

So I've gotten the 4hf up and running, with a appropriate cart and stylus (I think). It's a Stanton 500 I believe, with a 4-7g tracking weight for the stylus. The arm tracks fine with this one at 5g, and sounds rather excellent on the lower end. But I'm not getting what I expect on the upper...
  16. loudnoises

New tonearm bearings - source? 5mm

I've been searching with little success. Aside from an auction with 3mm bearings, I don't see any? I'm hoping to find some 5mm bearings with a 60° pivot. Think they're 2.5mm thick. BAF5 *might* be a current part number, but everything I have found seems to be in Japanese or Korean... Or...
  17. loudnoises

Speakers with a thin triangular foam grill - long shot

Spotted in the back room of a thrift, couldn't get a closer look. Maybe 30"h 14"w 16"d. The grill looked to be one piece of foam, tapering to a point where it was about 3" thick on the center a is of of the speaker. Wood grain. Any ideas? Yeah I know it's not much to work with. Can't find a...
  18. loudnoises

It's so wrong, or is it? V15ne on m95glm

Had to clip the wings, but the old phansteil sounds pretty good. An alternative to an m95. The only drawback to this cart is the cantilever has to be at the old spec for length.
  19. loudnoises

Speakers in their natural habitats

Spotted these wild beasts getting some air. Luckily I was able to escape before they saw me.
  20. loudnoises

Amp chassis, copper thickness?

Slowly gathered the parts for my amp, and the missing last component is the chassis. I've stumbled upon a knockout set for tube amps, so I'm going to start from scratch. I've a bender so I can turn down two sides to give it a bit more stiffness, but what thickness copper sheet should I be...
  21. loudnoises

Preserving an old heathkit aj-43d

I've lucked into a fully functional, single owner (just missed out on the matching amp) heathkit aj-43d in spectacular condition. Everything works save one lamp. The sound is excellent, lovely and full. No scratchy anything, switches all work, all the circuits seem to be working as intended...
  22. loudnoises

Newer bozak speakers?

Just picked up a pair of dms-3500, built 85, listed in magazines in 1988, long after the company folded I had thought. Were they something else, and rebranded? They look kinda cheap, but they're not. Heavy, solid (veneer is crap), aluminum cones, and very respectable sound from my short...
  23. loudnoises

Stylus brush ID?

Was going to shop a new one, then I remembered I got this with the thorens I don't recognize the logo. Seems pretty nice. Mirror on the backside.
  24. loudnoises

Hh Scott 135 stereomaster control center

A mouthful for such a little box. There's not much out there, except it's full history detailed by the company. Is that... It for this little device? It seems to have some neat features. Variable loudness or volume, so a preamp or a tone control. Mono and reverse stereo. Not useless things...
  25. loudnoises

Cleaning cones and surrounds

So I've failed to protect one of my speakers, and the cats seem to picked one to sleep in front of, out of sight. There's a good amount of hair stuck to the old surrounds. There's no damage, but there is more hair than I like. There's also 50 years of dust on the cone. What's the safest way...
Back
Top Bottom