Search results

1. dcairns

Marantz SR-4000 - Water damaged transformer?

The SR4000 (1980's version), I have seen a few of them, all have metal caps over the windings so you don't see the windings like that. I have never bothered to open one of mine up to see what it looks like in there. I figured it was best to leave them in place and not mess with an unobtanium...
  2. dcairns

Because everyone needs a project... PL-530

You can find reproduction dust covers on ebay. They do not have the logo in the center, of course. I have one on my turntable at it is nice.
  3. dcairns

Is there a BluRay that looks OK in a classic system?

How about a Samsung DVD-HD841 The silver face is plastic, not aluminum, but still has the look. Pretty clean look to it, other than all the compatibility logos.
  4. dcairns

Marantz Service Manual error thread

The service manual for the SR4000 (from 1980 not the later AV receiver) has an error. On page 22 (23 of the pdf). Capacitors C801 and C802 are listed as 1,000 mF. That should be 10,000 mF. I have several of these receivers and they come equipped with 10,000 mF capacitors. 1,000 mF is way too...
  5. dcairns

Vintage 1980 Marantz SR 4000 -- classic Marantz?

Can you tell me where this second hand store is? I could use some more "paper weights" that sound this good. For what it is worth, broken SR4000's run close to $100 (including shipping) on everyone's "favorite" auction site. Prices tend to be high there, but a far cry from $10.
  6. dcairns

Vintage 1980 Marantz SR 4000 -- classic Marantz?

I am not an expert who can say if they are "classic" or not, but they do perform well. They do lack the "cool" lighting that earlier models had, but still have a clean silver face look. As for build quality, the wood (particle board) case is indeed poor quality and age makes it weaker. A...
  7. dcairns

Realistic sa-175 manual needed

I picked up the same combo. I tested the amplifier, with an 8 ohm load resistor and my oscilloscope and it comes out to about 3.3 watts clean 3.5 watts just before clipping, but the top of the sine wave getting kinda ragged. Running the frequency from 20-20k I see it has a "loudness" boost on...
  8. dcairns

High End Speaker Kits?

A bit off the topic of the high end speakers, but I just finished a pair of "Classix II" from Meniscus, they sound amazing. I put Marantz badging on them to go with my SR4000. If you want to try out a DIY kit for cheap, Parts Express makes the C-Note, only $100
Back
Top Bottom