Search results

1. noobydoo

a and r cambridge c200

Hello all. Just picked up a c200 for next to nothing and was wondering about users experience with this pre, I've seen mixed reviews but decided to grab it untested as I know arcam doesn't usually make junk. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thinking of pairing it with a vintage Audire 2...
  2. noobydoo

Hi Fi Vhs for Audio,

CS's are what you get when I meant to type CD's and didn't read my post before I posted it.
  3. noobydoo

Hi Fi Vhs for Audio,

Hello. Way back in the late 80's I had a friend who recorded his whole vinyl collection onto hi fi vhs video tapes using just the audio track. I seem to recall the quality was near that of CD's. Anyone here still us vhs for audio? Cheers
  4. noobydoo

Audire Audio Components

Hi. Thanks for the reply. It's a model 2. 100 wpc. 1 transformer. 2 caps the size of coke cans. No power button. I believe it was normally sold with the preamp which I don't have. Has a green led that stays on when power is on as well as 2 other leds that glow yellow, then red as you approach...
  5. noobydoo

Audire Audio Components

I currently have a model 2 that I love. There's one on ebay that is advertised as not working but I from it's description it sounds more like an end user issue. My question is if I do get it and the problem is more serious than I believe it to be are parts available, original or replacement to...
  6. noobydoo

Audire Audio Components

7. noobydoo

Audiophiles and Motorcycles

I'm not sure why but many of the audio enthusiasts I encounter are often motorcycle enthusiast as well. I don't mean just that they own a motorcycle but that many of them are collectors of motorcycles as well as audio gear. I myself was a motorbike enthusiast till I moved to a large city where...
  8. noobydoo

Old class A vs New class D.

I completely agree. As I mentioned I simply used it as a rule of thumb. Regardless of the THD numbers if you need really complex circuitry in order to achieve lower thd there is bound to be a tradeoff somewhere. I've always sought amps that were as close as possible to the straight line with...
  9. noobydoo

Just wondering, did you mean.01 or .1. Although there are obviously exceptions I always used .01 as a rule of thumb. This isn't because I claim to be able to distinguish the difference between say.01 and .06 but I did find , in general, that amps that had lower distortion figures tended to be...
  10. noobydoo

Oddly enough you're not the first to make this generous offer
  11. noobydoo

Funny you should mention the soda cans. The friend who bought the samsung system i referred to was over and I pulled the top off my audire model 2 to show him the caps. I held a sprite can next to them and proceeded to give him a mini lesson about capacitance and current :) I've been wanting...
  12. noobydoo

how much for the bridge? :)
  13. noobydoo

Very well put. As I stated earlier I was being somewhat provocative and was hoping to start a discussion. Mission accoplished :). None of my vintage gear is going anywhere, although I may consider adding a couple of class D(T) for a spare room system or recommend one to a friend who has limited...
  14. noobydoo

The amp in my
  15. noobydoo

Lepai lp 160. I'm obviously being provocotive. This arose out of a discussion I had with a friend who recently purchased a samsung home theater system that purportedly has 1000 watts system power. I tried to explain to him the concept that all watts are not created equal but it fell on deaf...
  16. noobydoo

to paraphrase Charton Heston, "when you pry it from my cold, dead hands" :)
  17. noobydoo

Hello all. So I just watched a review of a Lepai class D amp. This little thing supposedly puts out 160 watts into 4 ohms with low distortion, all at the price of a night out on town for 2. Should I be tossing out my Luxman 5m21 , which is only rated at 100wpc into 8 ohms to make room for a pair...
  18. noobydoo

GTA(greater toronto area)

Just wondering how many ak'ers are out there in the GTA and if anyone might be interested in creating an informal group to share experiences or even having the occasional get together to swap fish tales about "the one that got away at Sally annes" etc. Cheers
  19. noobydoo

denon 2807 vs yamaha 4600

The ad for the yammy says all the goodies, I messaged him to ask if that meant the remote and the mike. I have remotes for my 2300 and the 2500.
  20. noobydoo

denon 2807 vs yamaha 4600

Hi there, I have the option to buy either a denon avr 2807 or a yamaha rxv 4600. They want 125 for the denon and 200 for the yammy. Yammy is a bit more powerful and better with 4 ohm loads, denon is newer and has a few more features. I currently have a yammy 2500 and a denon avr 2307 Neither of...
  21. noobydoo

Luxman owners...

drool
  22. noobydoo

Cassettes On the Rise?

I meant to comment in passing that I NEVER heard a decent quality prerecorded cassette. My listening was restricted to music taped from vinyl on to metal type IV. Could easily cover the FR and dynamic range of vinyl. I even made copies of cd's for the car deck and most people thought I had a cd...
  23. noobydoo

Cassettes On the Rise?

We had a sealer at the store. If you've ever wondered how new records could have scratches and or thumbprints on them....
  24. noobydoo

Cassettes On the Rise?

Just picked up a mid level yammy dual deck as a throw in with some other gear I bought. When I worked in a record store back in the 80's I would make copies of all the audiophile discs that came in on maxell or BASF metal tapes. FR was a good as vinyl and I usually recorded without dolby so no...
  25. noobydoo

Luxman owners...

What you see in my photo is my eumig m1000 dc power amp. This was built by luxman for eumig, an austrian manufacturer known primarily for their 8mm and 16mm cameras. this was part of a rack system that included a tuner(t1000), pre amp(c1000) turntable and tape deck. It was working till recently...
Back
Top Bottom