Search results

1. BJJB Jr.

45 Year Rebuild of my Heathkit AA-1800 AMP and AP-1800 PRE-AMP

I don’t recognize that board, unsolder one end of that 10 ohm 3 or 5 watt, they can heat up. I think keep the signal with bypass. Definitely replace or bypass the pots. They are 100k, with 0 being full volume. Wattage out is fixed, so you would be losing an input volume control without...
  2. BJJB Jr.

So, got the parts, 8- 3300 / 3w wirewound, and 4-10 / 5w metal oxide resistors. Replacing all of these was critcal. They half the outer rail 106v, and provide the +/ - 50v inner rail. All old 3300 were way out of spec. Now, all test excellent, stable, Bias 35ma, Offset 0. So far, music levels...
  3. BJJB Jr.

Craig is the man. All 8 of those 3300 resistors test way out of spec. Did the 3w wirewounds. Also replaced both 10ohm with metal oxide 5w. Thx bj
  4. BJJB Jr.

Caution, DO NOT DO. I tried replacing that 10uf electro with a poly 10uf. It was the only change i made before another test. Used variac, and was drawing over 1 amp at only 20 volts. The 10ohm 5watt start heating up guickly. Shut down, swap back to the electro, and back to .2 amps at 20 volts...
  5. BJJB Jr.

Craig, you read my mind. I woke up this am and went right to them all. No they are not consistent. I get pairs of low, high ranging from 48 to 55, as the rails are 106v. I retouched the solder joints as I felt they were cold. After another test I got even wider gaps, 43v to 62 volts on on...
  6. BJJB Jr.

RE: Updates - Got a chance to play more today by replacing both input pots (100K), and the audio jumper cable inputs. Dialed in Bias & Offset again and all ok. Then while doing some other voltage tests I found an oddity on 1/2 of the right amp. I attached the circuit below. On the right is...
  7. BJJB Jr.

There are polar and non-polar on the board, 10/50v are non polar, 220/100v polar, 220/25v non, 100/100v polar. Of those only the C101 (10/50) inline of the signal and it is the first thing the board sees from the source. I would probably consider this as a plus, though the size is about 5/8" x...
  8. BJJB Jr.

Update - Completed the parts swap of all boards. Blue tape shows locations of caps on the bottom of the 2 amps. Both of these amps weigh in at more than 7 pounds due to the large solid aluminum heatsinks. As I replaced each part, I tested values in and out. C1 / C2 caps tested 13K and...
  9. BJJB Jr.

Both of these amps are hand me down family built circa 1979 / 80. I'm guessing a pretty early build based on the 0009 serial number. This AA-1800 amp actually scares me, with its 500+ horsepower, and no real protections, they can be prone to blowing out a whole channel if powered on before...
  10. BJJB Jr.

Miller Kreisel Satellite 2B Old vs New Inside Info

Forum ERROR ALERT - Want to let any new or old posters that the S-1B Schematic that I reposted from another forum is a complete error of print. I sent a copy to Ken Kriesel and am awaiting a reply from old records. First since this forum was truly about the S-2B speaker, and not the S-1B...
  11. BJJB Jr.

High-pass filter help

Old thread, but this filter is designed to separate the signal. You run your full range signal in, and then run the bypassed highs back to an amp, and to the sub. The sub is a full range signal, so you use the sub crossover to tune. The to amp output has the lows removed, so your amp doesn't...
  12. BJJB Jr.

M&K S-2b speakers - need new woofer - Help

did you ever get what you needed? I can offer some specs.
  13. BJJB Jr.

Update, in the final stages now of the second set, and I had a couple of 25 ohm pots to play with. With the original switches set to "off" position 1, I wired the tweeter pot in series with the Main + Input and the Special+ Input. I then wired the woofer pot in series with the Main - Input and...
  14. BJJB Jr.

Update, I pulled and tested all resistors. In the switch circuits, they were all in value range except for the 2 ohm 10 watt versions, which came in at 2.9 ohms. The next resistor up is a 3 ohm, so those are definitely too close, and will need replaced. On the board side, the 5 and 6 ohm...
  15. BJJB Jr.

Update, So, now that one set has been re-capped, I have been using it as a comparison to other speakers and to the other MK set. My second MK set now sound very bad compared to the new re-capped pair that has had time to settle in. I decided to recap the second set. This time I took some...
  16. BJJB Jr.

Spica TC-50 or Vandersteen 1

I have the Spica T50i, which have different woofers tweeters and crossover values. As stated above the 50i crossovers were matched to the woofer number. I recently did a re-cap, and found that every single cap in the 1988 speaker was way out of spec, all OVER value, some by more than 40...
  17. BJJB Jr.

HeathKit Amplifier AA-1800

HVAC - how much difference do you think the caps will improve the unit? Also, would we have to do the power sections also? It doesn't make sense to do the pre-amp without doing the amp does it? I have used Nichicon and Elna with good success. I have also completed a lot of 80's speaker...
  18. BJJB Jr.

RSL Rogersound Labs CG-62 Crossover Rebuild

You will also have to mark and disconnect the speaker terminal wires, because the crossover won't come out due to short wires.
  19. BJJB Jr.

RSL Rogersound Labs CG-62 Crossover Rebuild

Yes, you have to pull the whole black plastic off.
  20. BJJB Jr.

Hvac, did you recap your amplifier or preamp?
  21. BJJB Jr.

Thank you HVAC for the tip, I have always thought those little pots were an issue. Do you know the value of the pots in ohms? Oh, and thank you for the schematic. Update - I eventually got the repaired 1800 back from a shop in San Diego. $400 later and repaired. As explained to me, it...
  22. BJJB Jr.

I have not made any changes to the tweeter volume yet on the recap, but both of the KSC capped crossovers are done and still in testing and comparing with the MK capped originals. I have an MK sub that crosses at 125, and sounds great with the speakers in the special input set-up, but that sub...
  23. BJJB Jr.

Another update. Below is a copy of the schematic for the S1 series. The Red line is the core circuit that will bypass the tone circuit. For the most part I found the best sound of these speakers is in the core only, but this requires a crossover of approximately 125hz at the sub woofer. A...
  24. BJJB Jr.

Another Update - So it was time to re-install the crossovers, though at this time I have no conclusive evidence of how much of the poly-fill was originally in the boxes, I guessed at a moderate loose fill. Also I did not want to change the size of the internal box with the extra big capacitors...
  25. BJJB Jr.

Update - Well i got my parts in and went straight to the woofer section to test. Both 32uf caps taken out, tested at 38uf . In fact every single one of the 10 electros removed tested higher than the stated number by a minimum of 10%, most 15 to 20%. All of the Daytons tested within 1%...
Back
Top Bottom