Search results

1. Guido57

OL Advent questions, please

You're on the right track. Those black caps with red ends are commonly a problem besides being well past their prime. Sometimes the little button inductors for the tweeter section can be a problem also. What are you measuring with? There are relatively cheap testers (<$20 last time I looked)...
  2. Guido57

The Two Biggest Falsehoods About Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekend Speakers

The lady doth protest too much methinks.
  3. Guido57

I've got to believe ZU's marketing is just better at getting under some peoples skins. For the record I kind of liked Heresy's when I heard them, though that was close to fifty years ago.
  4. Guido57

Douk Audio VU3 Dual Analog VU Meter

According to the listing the case is aluminum. So maybe just BC?
  5. Guido57

Okay, point to a review on ASR that compares motorcycle exhaust tuning to fart sounds . Brilliant. Competitive exhaust tuning is aimed at optimizing the flow of exhaust gases to improve engine output. No reason the same type of flow analysis, with different goals, can't be applied to speaker...
  6. Guido57

Horn, wave-guide, lens; whatever you want to call them there are probably infinite possible geometries with varying effects on sound. Whatever, some will hate them while others love them. There a quite a few speakers out there that generate the love/hate response, not just those with horns...
  7. Guido57

As to the specific set up for ZU's I could not say other than I found the stock "feet" to be a PITA and the carpet spikes not much better (no flats to grip with a wrench for adjustment). My solution was getting some carriage bolts to ease adjustment and lock nuts to secure the adjustment. Much...
  8. Guido57

Did you call them the first time they ran another sale after your order?
  9. Guido57

Speakers with questionable "upgrades"... post your findings here.

Never said I though they were good, just matching. (Okay, the mids might match)
  10. Guido57

At least the tweeters seem to match.
  11. Guido57

What gives? (counterfeit Sanken S-40W module in Lafayette)

If you put the printing on that chip into a search engine you should be able to find out what it is and from there possibly deduce what it is or meant to be doing. Edit: from what I've been able to find the S-40W and SP-40W share the same schematic.
  12. Guido57

Your opinion?

I'd say probably good. I have a 5000A on the bench now that pretty obviously had someone messing on the insides besides the tech that did the board swap. At the age of these units it is quite possible that someone stuck their fingers in where they shouldn't have.
  13. Guido57

Knowledgeable Vintage Speaker Experts Needed

Out of the first four I'd say go with whichever pair is in the best condition. IMAHO they may all sound different from each other. Subjectively speaking none will overall out perform the others though they may have different strong points.
  14. Guido57

CR-450 no sound, and blows fuses

To the best of my (limited) knowledge ohms should not have a negative sign in front. You are just checking that the transistor is electrically insulated from the heatsink. This would would be done with the power off.
  15. Guido57

Old Large Advents - Fried fried egg tweeter cause/replacement?

One member on AK has used Peerless "ring radiator" tweeters as replacements for the Advent tweeter and liked the results. These have a low, at least for a tweeter, resonance frequency, a characteristic shared with the Advent tweeter. They also have a similar physical profile to the Advent...
  16. Guido57

Stacked OLA’s

The important question isn't how much amp they "require", it's can the amp handle the impedance dips if one wires them in parallel; though if I understand correctly this is move of an issue with the NLA than the OLA. After that it becomes how loud do you want it and how large is the room...
  17. Guido57

Receiver WPC Question - Building A Vintage System On A Budget

At least, in general anyway, working on an integrated amp is easier than a receiver, though more involved than a power amp. Specifics may vary though. For soldering and such I bought a relatively cheap pair of reading glasses one number up from my prescription. 3.5 while my prescription is...
  18. Guido57

ADS L400's for sale - those woofers...

Yeah, not too sure what they did to the surrounds in Albany, looks like more going on than a bad glue job IMO. While those may (or not) be fixable they're double the cost plus the headaches of refurbishment. The L400's may not sound horrible but probably not right either if you really want the...
  19. Guido57

ADS L400's for sale - those woofers...

After looking at the Oregon Craig's list I would avoid both current listings for the ADS 400 (other one is not the "L"). I don't know what they've put in there but it is unlikely to be a good match, in my AHO.
  20. Guido57

What are your thoughts on Audyssey?

For my surround channels I feel it's the best way to balance the volume from speakers that are far from optimal in location. Not a fan of equalizers and don't like the tweaks Audyssey injects into music. The sound from my untweaked main speakers is much closer to what I get from headphones...
  21. Guido57

What are your thoughts on Audyssey?

Movies yes, music no.
  22. Guido57

Can You Resolve What Is Being Said???

And I thought Merman was a character from "Sponge Bob".
  23. Guido57

They spelled "demented" wrong.
  24. Guido57

Aging Receiver Question

$25 for someone to put a unit on their bench for inspection sounds like a bargain to me.
  25. Guido57

Receiver WPC Question - Building A Vintage System On A Budget

Perhaps I should have mentioned the AK forum "New Gear - Values" to find options other than PartsExpress. If you can provide a city you're near maybe someone will know where you can get the unit checked for a reasonable price. This "bench fee" can vary quite a bit, sometimes less but often more...
Back
Top Bottom