Search results

1. Guido57

Why listen to music genres one doesn't like just because it's Christmas time?

Any time I'm in the car with my family between Thanks Giving and Christmas I have to listen to "Christmas Favorites". I will admit that Andy Williams has a better singing voice than Bob Dylan, but I have no Andy Williams music in my collection. I have no desire to listen to Andy Williams...
  2. Guido57

6013 TR803 off TR804

Can anyone give me a good reason why someone would undo the physical connection between these two transistors? My guess is it was an attempt to solve a problem with the wrong answer. I might guess someone suspected noise was caused by the thermal interaction of the two transistors. My second...
  3. Guido57

Fisher 300 - any magic?

I recently picked up my winter project. While talking to the seller he mentioned he had a Fisher 300 that he may be putting up for sale in the not distant future. I've never had or worked on any tube equipment, just early SS. I'm not asking about monetary value, just how good can these...
  4. Guido57

5000a output transistors: Left/Right differrent

Have a 5000a with factory replacement 6013 boards. The left channel has RCA 40636 output transistors. Right channel has the original Toshiba 2SD118 outputs. I suspect the RCA transistors were put in under warranty along with the 6013 boards due to a fried left channel. I have a pair of 2SD118...
  5. Guido57

Has anyone else on the east coast heard or heard of the band "Box Set"?

They started as a band in the '90s. After the band broke up the two core members performed as an acoustic guitar duo for a while. Apparently the duo got back together and added a third multi instrument musician. First heard them at a mall store that was set up to sample the CDs they had for...
  6. Guido57

Noob vs NAD C-350

I can replace components and build up boards, but it is a paint by numbers approach. After replacing a couple of bulging caps in the power supply of an NAD C-350 I powered it up using a dim bulb tester. After a few seconds the light flashed bright, I heard a relay click, things went dark. This...
  7. Guido57

NAD C-350 Purple Caps

Opened up an NAD C-350 to replace the bulging purple caps. Does anyone know of other cap issues with these units? No other caps are bulging but some in the area have that brown glue on them.
  8. Guido57

Using Music App Volume instead of Pre-amp

For the past few days instead of using my passive pre-amp I've run my DAC directly into an amplifier using the volume control in KODI. Am I asking for trouble?
  9. Guido57

AudioSource AMP One/A to ESP Project 3A

I know the ESP 3a amplifier is old news in DIY but the small size possible seems to make it a good choice for tight spaces when one does not want to use a chip amp or class D. I kept a dead AudioSource Amp One/A out of curiosity hoping to get some insight into how amps work. After getting some...
  10. Guido57

5000a Phono Section Opinions Please.

My 5000a has a permanent place in my basement system sharing space with a couple of amps and a phono-less, at least at this point, preamp. I've been using the tape out of the Sansui to the tape monitor of the preamp to provide phono for the other amps. I will be replacing my current pre-amp...
  11. Guido57

Suggested DIY Pre-amps

I am considering replacing my Adcom GTP-400 with a DIY unit. There doesn't seem to be much love out there for the 400 and a slapped together passive pre made with a scavenged pot seems to provide better sound, though admittedly I've done no double blind tests. There are three projects I'm...
  12. Guido57

ADCOM GTP-400 Opinions

Can any one comment on sound quality of the phono and preamp section of the GTP-400? I know these have issues with the tuner but since I haven't listened to FM outside of my car for decades I have no use for the tuner section anyway.
  13. Guido57

Metal grill question

I bought some metal grills to give my tweeters some extra physical protection. Thing is the tweeters magnets are strong enough to hold the grills in place. Could this cause any issues?
  14. Guido57

Altec Lansing Santana 879A, any love or poor stepchild?

A friend is downsizing and offering a pair of these. Actually it's the husband of one of my wife's friends. Since it is a bit indirect because of that and wifey thinks I have too many speakers already I don't want to get to pushy about going to look at them. I wonder if anyone thinks this...
  15. Guido57

KODI made it easy.

After many attempts to access a shared drive on my household's main PC the best I could figure was the SMB version on the Windows PC wouldn't sync with the version on my Raspberry Pi. I tried many cut and paste solutions found on the web. None of those worked as advertised. In ancient times I...
  16. Guido57

Ripped Music beats the Red Book Original?

I recently ripped most of my CDs to FLAC files stored on a hard drive using Exact Audio Copy. I was expecting the ripped music to sound the same but it seems to me that the ripped files have more detail. Does anyone consider this possible considering my equipment: to play CDs I was using the...
  17. Guido57

Pi400 as music server instead of new transport

Considering the cost of decent CD players/transports I decided to rip my CDs to a hard drive and use a raspberry Pi400 as a music server (the pi4B being back ordered everywhere, though I know it could provide a better looking setup with the right case). Costs of the 400, an external drive...
  18. Guido57

Opinions on Optimus 1 Speakers

They look like they were a copy of an AR speaker. Anyone have an opinion of how they sound compared to any AR model, Large Advents or EPI speakers?
  19. Guido57

EPI 200 based Econowave?

Has anyone used the bass driver section of the 200, 8" woofer and 12" passive, or the Genesis Model II in an Econowave? I've read the bass of these systems is exceptional, with some opinions that the bass beats the Large Advent, but I am not a fan of the EPI tweeter (please, no trolling from...
  20. Guido57

NAD T532 worth it?

Worth $125, should I save for something new and/or just keep using my Philips DVP 1960 running through an external DAC? https://hartford.craigslist.org/ele/d/windsor-locks-nad-t532-dvd-cd-player/7367514744.html
  21. Guido57

Distortion: old speakers vs new

I've read several non AK posts that state "vintage" speakers have more distortion than those made today. One even mentioned 10% vs 0.5%. I've become wary of blanket claims, and somewhat weary of old vs new pissing contests but I believe there may be someone here at AK that can provide some...
  22. Guido57

Soundcraftsmen CD750, worth?

Found a Soundcraftsment CD750 disc player. Anyone know if this still might be reliable to use and what kind of offer might be appropriate?
  23. Guido57

NAD STEREO POWER AMPLIFIER 216

Anyone know about the NAD 216? Worth $200?
  24. Guido57

ADS 710 pricing for purchase

Looking at a pair of ADS L710 on local Craig's List. $550 with stands, 1 replaced woofer, 1 replaced tweeter. Seller says OEM, but woofer definitely looks different. Is this a bit on the high side?
  25. Guido57

Lii vs Audio Nirvana drivers

Wondering if anyone has an informed opinion if these companies make worthwhile drivers and which might be better?
Back
Top Bottom