Search results

1. quatsino

RCA Mystery Format

Thanks all for the links and info - much appreciated! First time I've ever run into this format - very neat indeed. My friend has a bunch of spare stylii and some CED discs but he threw the player out long ago. I'm going to check into this a bit more...
  2. quatsino

RCA Mystery Format

Guys, I've talked to 2 people recently who laid claim to a stylus operated video player made by RCA. Apparently the format was black vinyl LP style discs. This is slightly pre LaserDisc. I can't seem to locate this technology on the internet...
  3. quatsino

cleaning lp COVERS?

I've used Goo-Gone with some success. Here's a great tip to keep your album covers looking like new and preventing them from getting scratched - automotive wax! Try a good carnuaba wax such as Mothers - a light coat on your covers and then shine up with a clean rag - same as your car...
  4. quatsino

The cars we let slip away....

Cars of Ours Interesting thread. I've had about 35 cars, trucks and bikes. At the time of owning them there were some I truly liked and several that didn't last too long because we could never "connect" somehow. Losers included my '67 Cougar, '76 and '80 Delta 88's, '90 Taurus, '88 Jeep YJ...
  5. quatsino

Excessive idle HUM on my 881

Thanks for your replies....not too much change to the environment as far as different electrical loads around here, however dirty power is possible. I'll check into this. Seems to me that the degradation is gradual however so caps are also a distinct possibility. X - the 881 is sweet - a...
  6. quatsino

Excessive idle HUM on my 881

I've been using my Sansui 881 exclusively for awhile now. Noticed it's developed a bit of a 60Hz HUM at idle (volume at 0). All modes, Aux1, Aux2, phono, and AM are at about the same level with FM slightly louder. The hum is now loud enough where I'm now thinking of switching over to another...
  7. quatsino

Volvo Since Ford Bought Them

Taurus SHO Interestingly the early 90's SHO Taurus was equipped with a Yamaha V6 of about 220+ hp. Good free-revving engine - motorcycle technology and all...
  8. quatsino

Cop fills up with engine running

Gasoline Vapour Ignition Gasoline vapours are dangerous. Ignition off while fueling is the original forecourt rule. Check out the attached - in the 4th video the tanker driver does everything wrong and pays for it with his life. The truck is branded Shell. Shell is very strick on public and...
  9. quatsino

Volvo Since Ford Bought Them

Freestyle and Taurus X I have a 2007 Ford Freestyle (crossover wagon). These cars were introduced in 2005 and were updated to the 2008 Taurus X. Primary difference between the two is powertrains where the Freestyle ran the Duratec 30 DOHC V6 and CVT transmission and the TX runs the new 3.5 V6...
  10. quatsino

Sanyo JCX-2600K Startup Issue

Click the power switch on my 85wpc Sanyo JCX receiver. Lots of buzzing and nonsense - including the dial light dimming for about 1 second as the protection circuit clicks in. Looks and sounds like the circuit protection switch is burning/arcing before contact. Is this just a matter of...
  11. quatsino

How much is a mint pioneer sx-1080 worth?

Imagine that kgginslc masquerading as an old lady...
  12. quatsino

Guess

U-n-r-e-a-l...:thmbsp: One good thing, I showed my wife the pix and she's OK with my stuff now!!:yes:
  13. quatsino

SX 1010 running hot

I have a Technics SA-800 that's run hot from day I bought it back in '79. It's no different today. If I run it at 1/4 volume it gets hot and that's all there's to it. Just make sure that it can breathe - that's all. All my other receivers seem to run a lot cooler. The Sansui 881 which I normally...
  14. quatsino

Guess

What is it? Powerman - My guess is that this rig is for a big Church? Like what is it - what kind of speakers are begging for mercy at the other end?
  15. quatsino

Best Tuner inside a Receiver?

My Sansui Seven receiver tunes FM stations without any antenna just a well as most of my other receivers WITH an external antenna. Interestingly I hooked up my Creative Zen Stone (a tiny MP3 player with a built-in FM circuit) to an AUX port on my Sansui 881 and switched back and forth between...
  16. quatsino

Sansui QS 500?

I have a recapped QS-500 that I like to play with once in awhile. My Sansui Seven is a great candidate for the quad treatment. This is the only receiver that I have the has a "Quad Adaptor" switch so that you don't have to plug the QS in via a Tape port. The Seven owners manual actually...
  17. quatsino

How are rising fuel prices affecting you?

My commute is 3 miles one way and I drop my wife off at work and pick her up in the same area. I made the choice for this commute vs a "house in the valley" many years ago. Commuting here in the Lower Mainland (as elsewhere) is mostly insane. On the other hand I've always had a "road trip...
  18. quatsino

CR1020 Left Channel Distortion

I rotated my very nice looking Yamaha CR1020 receiver into my main system and DANG if we ain't got a LOT of left channel distortion once it's warmed up. The distortion can be heard through both left speakers (A and B and A+B) at any volume above very low. Source is good - all else is good. My...
  19. quatsino

Magnat Victory 6 - Pwr rating question

Just picked up a pair of made in Germany "Magnat Victory 6" towers. The power rating on the back indicates 110W @ 4 ohms and 180W @ 8 ohms. I'm trying to understand how do you change the resistance of a speaker? These units are bi-amp capable which I will look into. They're nice speakers...
  20. quatsino

Worst Car Challenge

Score So Far... Well guys, it's obvious that Ford had some problems in the past - sure hope to heck they've picked up their game since. Score so far: Ford: 12 GM: 8 Mopar: 1 Import: 4 plus 1 Aussie Dishonorable Mention: AMC: 1
  21. quatsino

Technics SA-818 Receiver from 1980

From the 1980 Technics Brochure: SA-818 New Class A, quartz synthesizer receiver 110- watts per channel minimum continuous RMS into 8 ohms, both channels driven from 20 ~ 20,000 Hz with no more than 0.005% total harmonic distortion. Synchro-bias in new Class-A design eliminates switching...
  22. quatsino

Yamaha CR-1020 transformation (bandwidth warning!)

Nice Yes - no kidding that is a nice case. I've included a pic of a factory case (SN-06788) just for comparison...
  23. quatsino

Technics SA-818 Receiver from 1980

Anyone own or remember the Technics SA-818? This receiver line included the SA-101,02,03,04 and 505 which seem to be a continuation of the SA-x00 line which ended in 1979. The SA-616 (80wpc) and SA-818 (110wpc) were new however boasting a "new Class A" amp and "Quart Synthesizer tuning". 1980...
  24. quatsino

Worst Car Challenge

Pick the standout worst car you've ever owned and let's get 'er posted. In my case I've owned 30 vehicles but the one that takes the prize for worst would have to be "Kate". Yes my only car that ever had a name - as in "Kate, Kate the Delta 88". I bought this 76 very used because I wanted one...
  25. quatsino

Ford Edge

Ford is Fine NEW QUALITY STUDY SHOWS FORD IS SECOND TO NONE (Ford/L-M News) When it comes to initial vehicle quality, no automaker performs better than Ford. The quality of Ford, Lincoln and Mercury brand vehicles soared to the top of the charts equaling that of Toyota and Honda...
Back
Top Bottom