Search results

1. starcopy

stupid me got a Relistic LAB-300 turn table

Plenty of great info and options. If the ones highlighted in green are the chosen ones, I might be tempted despite the higher cost. My LAB 300 is super clean -- and I have very little invested in it so....
  2. starcopy

Also, happy to hear that my R47XT cart is "a great one." Had no idea.
  3. starcopy

You bet. Yes, the stylus on my newly acquired Lab 300 project has an unknown history -- and could very well be a record eater. Will not use it. But many of the stylii that I purchased new have been taken care of and are known good -- at least for testing and light use. Any suggestions on a...
  4. starcopy

BTW, I did not know that one would need a scanning electron microscope to determine the "health" and future usefulness of a stylus. Thanks. Makes sense.
  5. starcopy

Sounds right. I agree 100%. But wouldn't it be great to find an appropriate, untouched, mint stylus in your drawer just once?
  6. starcopy

So true. Is this the time to get a good microscope for use with my cell phone and check these needles out LOL?
  7. starcopy

Makes sense. I will remove the black plastic piece -- and reassemble the cart away from the headshell. Also, it did come with a green Shure X5 stylus -- needle condition unknown -- but the stylus does not show any signs of abuse. Thanks for your guidance.
  8. starcopy

Super glue makes sense -- it's super thin. A thick glue would be messier -- and might even impact the VTA.
  9. starcopy

Hey, Jens. Thanks for the reply on this Christmas morning. One good thing -- when I do a dry run and temporarily position the cart back in the black plastic holder, the cart does not slide front to back or side to side -- there is no play. Perfect fit -- so I can repeat the exact same placement...
  10. starcopy

Me thinks that I have to re-attache ( as in re-glue?) the actual metal cartridge to the black plastic piece (holder / sled) that ultimately gets bolted to the headshell? My terminology is probably incorrect, but how else than gluing can the black "holder" and metal cart stay together before...
  11. starcopy

Here's a pic. Thanks for any thoughts the group might have
  12. starcopy

I just picked up a LAB 300 in quite nice condition. I have a new belt. And I'm sure it needs oiling/lube in the appropriate parts. Also need to re-attach the cart to the black plastic "sled" that bolts to the headshell. The R47XT cart was glued in place but I am not sure what adhesive was used...
  13. starcopy

Stanton 681EEE vs. Stanton 500

So the Pickering D1500ATE2 is the stylus you recommend. And The Voice of Music is where I'll find it? Sounds like a good choice. Will order one this weekend. Thanks. I appreciate your recommendation.
  14. starcopy

Thanks for the pics and the stylus suggestion. Sounds like a good choice. I'll track one down.
  15. starcopy

I did know LOL. Had nothing to lose, right? Many thanks to you for responding -- and pointing out that it's the stylus not the cart that can harden with age. I do like the 500 cart and am testing various stylli that I have to see if any can still deliver. I've also been watching threads to see...
  16. starcopy

I have a very old Stanton 500II. We're talking decades old. Thirty+ years. Have enjoyed this thread but am afraid that my cart isn't as flexible (bad choice of words) as it was -- and should be. True?
  17. starcopy

Fisher Direct Drive Turntable speed issue

Thanks for the reply. I'll flip it over and look for some potentiometers. Good suggestion. I did see a video where a tt owner with this problem actually carefully ground down the metal spindle on the motor. It worked, apparently.
  18. starcopy

Fisher Direct Drive Turntable speed issue

Great info. Thanks for taking the time to share. My Fisher is a 220-X. Speed is steady, but runs either fast or slow (need to pull it off the shelf to recheck.) Might a Deoxit treatment help here? Prob can't hurt. But I'm thinking that rubber idler wheel could be worn a bit.
  19. starcopy

Fix and keep this Marantz MR-1135 receiver?

Hey, onwardjames. Good seeing you again. Yeah, I'm going to hang onto this Marantz. A very different-looking piece -- sort of an analog/digital lights mashup with a unique champagne faceplate. It ain't ugly. I'll keep an eye (and ear) on that slightly noisy hum/buzz transformer. Thanks to all...
  20. starcopy

Okay. I have removed it. Thanks for the warning. I built the dim bulb tester a few years ago. Has a 40 watt bulb. When I connect the tester to a known-good receiver, the bulb emits a faint glow -- as it should, correct? But when I connect that same dim bulb tester to my '80s Marantz receiver...
  21. starcopy

Hey, I haven't added to this thread in a while. New info: was playing vinyl with this receiver, sounding good. Just for yuks decided to "insert" my dim bulb tester into the mix. The light glowed brightly. Reversed the non-polarized plug with same results. Might have a problem. Any thoughts would...
  22. starcopy

Akai....anybody have a vintage unit? Need some opinions

So, pulled out my "needs-work" Akai AP-A2 turntable after benching it for a spell. As noted earlier, the lid looks terrific after intense polishing. So, I'm going to keep this TT and get it completely back to "fine." Here's what I have left to do: 1. Get the lid to stay up. It keeps drifting to...
  23. starcopy

I still have it. Plan to offer it to my daughter who is playing vinyl through a nice Pioneer TT, but also through a soundbar/subwoofer and cheap $15 preamp. If she does not want it I will find a new home for it.
  24. starcopy

MCS 3233 Tuning Meters

True, the meters are no big deal, But I would still like the meters on my MCS-3233 to work -- just to have it "fully" restored. The signal strengtth meter was the only bad meter. I tried (1) freeing up the signal strength needle, (2) resoldering the loose end of the copper winding to a very...
Back
Top Bottom