Search results

1. 5

How many speakers do you have and what are they?

I have posted before, but here is what I am listening to right now. Szabo 626 medium towers from Kitchener/Waterloo in Ontario, Canada. Still brilliant sound. John Szabo was a genius. In 14' x 26' great room. Pro Linear Stage 4 from Vancouver, BC, Canada. Side-by-side comparison with the Szabos...
  2. 5

Jamo Speakers, Vintage and Otherwise

The ones I know of are the JAMO Art, but they are more like 4" deep, and I am not sure of the paintable aspect of them. Hope this helps.
  3. 5

Has anyone found a pair of speakers and said "I'm done"?

I like this thread, and so many opinions have been raised, and all totally valid. It offers insight into so many different speakers out there. And it still boils down to (as I have said before) how any speaker hits your own ear. And that's perfect. That's how it works. I'm still stuck on my...
  4. 5

Infinity bookshelf works and then doesn't.

Funny, but I just picked up a pair of Infinity Primus 250 speakers and one of them has no tweeter output. The tweeter is fine; I pulled it and powered it up just fine. So probably something on the cross-over. Remember, the Primus series is made in China. Damn good sounding speakers, but maybe...
  5. 5

Sansui sp 2000 - should I add brake fluid?!

I have used ArmorAll on a couple of accordion-type surrounds wit good results, ie: Acoustic Research 17 speakers.
  6. 5

Speakers probably considered crap, but you think are excellent?

Or......I could just sit back and appreciate my Szabo 626 speakers which hit my ear perfectly and not get involved in all sort of machinations to find that perfect sound. Not that I won't compare them in the future, but right now I am where I want to be. And the next listener is going to be...
  7. 5

My First Pair of Szabo Speakers

I don't know what area you are in, but a pair of Szabo 424 speakers with the bass extenders came up in Kitchener/Waterloo, ON, Canada about two weeks ago but I was not able to get to them. Too bad, it would have been great to own them.
  8. 5

Yes, R.I.P. He was 81 years old I think. A good life. Do you have the 'bass extenders' for the 424 speakers? It would be neat to have the full package.
  9. 5

I think you are on the right track, because I looked at the Szabo 622 and they seemed to be just a shorter version of the 626. Regardless, enjoy your journey with these. You will be pleased, i think. And try to find the eulogy (John Szabo) given by his daughter on his death in 2011. Gives an...
  10. 5

Google 'Q Components Canada'. Sorry, I can't post a link; not very savvy with that! Best to talk to them in person. Very knowledgeable and will direct you to the right components. Worked for me.
  11. 5

Vintage Amplifiers to drive 4 ohm speakers

Through the years I have had excellent performance from many pairs of speakers driving them with Harman/Kardon and NAD power units, both int/amps and receivers. And all of them under 85 watts/channel. I currently run a NAD 356BEE int/amp and really don't worry when I am hooking up a pair of 4...
  12. 5

Yes, Q Components! Turns out that one of my woofers had a 'rub' so I reached out to McBride Speakers to get suitable replacements. I wasn't disappointed. One of my smoothest on-line/phone transactions ever. Knowledgeable person on the other end that knew exactly what I needed and spec'd the...
  13. 5

The rarest speakers you own or have owned?

Still on the Szabo 626 pair, and opinion is unchanged. Great sound and probably one of the rarest pair I have owned. Added another rare pair to the collection, though. Sony (yes, Sony) APM 141ES mini towers with the square woofers. 3-way, made in Germany and quite heavy. Great build quality, and...
  14. 5

Tried some diferent speakers today

Bottom line is that the OLA Advents will get a run-for-the-money from a lot of the Paradigm 3se/5se/7se/9se/11se speakers. The Paradigms are just very good speakers. That doesn't make the OLA a bad speaker, just from a different time. And they were the standards in that time, along with Dynaco...
  15. 5

So, What Have I Bought (Infinity) and Can I Use them?

Today I picked up a pair of Infinity KCS EMIT-N MK II tweeters, new in the box, with brackets.Turns out they were intended for automotive use. Paid next to nothing, so no concerns. Question is, can I use them in my Infinity RS3000 as an upgrade, to tap into that EMIT sound that everybody talks...
  16. 5

Best speaker score under $100

Some of the latest scores: HPM 40 for $25, 10 minute drive. Needing surrounds, some cabinet TLC Sound Dynamics 500 Concert Monitors, off auction, needing nothing. $35 Design Acoustics PS-10A from local thrift, needing foams. $30 Sonab B-31 towers from Sweden, excellent sound, needing nothing...
  17. 5

You are totally right. And the bottom line is how they will hit YOUR ear. Nothing else matters, no matter how much or how little you spend. The buck stops when the notes fill the room and hit your ear. Sonic bliss has no dollar value. I am very lucky as I can share my 'finds' with my wife as we...
  18. 5

And that is good. You rolled the dice and came up with something that totally pleases you in sound and performance. You are very lucky. I am also looking for my speaker 'nirvana', and think I am very close. I am watching for a stellar deal on a pair of Totem, Snell, high-end Infinity, etc., and...
  19. 5

Yeah, I understand what you are saying, but I am not sure my ears can distinguish the difference between what I am playing with at the moment, and feeling very satisfied, compared to 'higher end' speakers. And I would be very unhappy if I dumped a lot of coin into more expensive speakers and...
  20. 5

Oh boy..I just bought a pair of speakers many seem to HATE

As OvenMaster said, ‘If you like ‘em, that’s all that matters.’ Everybody’s ear is different. I have taken on a pair of HPM-40 that need a refoam, and judging from some of the comments here, I may not like them when I hear them. But I will listen to them when they are done, and decide then...
  21. 5

“Energy” speakers....what’s your take on them?

Any Energy speaker is always on my radar, although I shy away from the off-shore ones. Just a personal thing. I just moved a pair of ESM1s speakers that had fabulous sound. Same stitched woofer and tweeter as in the PRO22, kinda like a poor-man’s version of the famous PRO22. I have had ESM2 and...
  22. 5

How many run a subwoofer w/ their 2 channel stereo?

I use a sub. And there have been quite a few through the house, as I have bought and sold a few. Basically, I stopped 'chasing bass', where a really good speaker is condemned for its lack of bass response. I now judge speakers on their mid-range and treble capabilities. I am a hound for the mid...
  23. 5

Avanti tower speakers

Some pictures of the pair of Avanti V-1203 that I had. As I said, they didn't sound too bad at all.
Back
Top Bottom