Search results

1. EJB14

Harman Kardon A402 preamp gain

Hi all; I recently acquired an HK A402, and it is a beautiful little amp that sounds great and looks great. I followed much of the restoration thread on AK for this, replacing all of naughty list transistors, all the capacitors (found a few bad ones) and it is running great. This little guy...
  2. EJB14

Grado Reference Sonata 1 owners

You can use the default MM settings for the RS1 - it is a high output version of the Sonata (Reference Sonata 1)- . I ran it with 40dB gain and 10k loading, though Grado recommended 47k. The Statement Sonata 1 would require the higher MC like gain, but still the same 47k loading. LP Gear still...
  3. EJB14

New (to me) Herron VTSP-1A/166

Hi all; I don't post much, and have received fantastic help from other members here - I just wanted to give a shout out to Keith Herron over at Herron Audio (I am not affiliated with Herron in any way, and received nothing for this post). I was looking for a higher end preamp for some time...
  4. EJB14

Dual 721 in the house

Sorry for the late reply - So, not sure about the 721, but the 701, you don't adjust much (one of the reasons I like the later model Thorens 309 - everything is adjustable). However, with the V15III, it's all already setup for the most part. There is an overhang guage for the 701 I bought off...
  5. EJB14

Dual 721 in the house

Good question - I've toyed with a lot of things. There are whole threads on this elsewhere too. The biggest sonic improvements I've noticed are from different cartridges, and proper setup of those carts. The TP-92 arm on the Thorens allows for VTA and azimuth adjustment. Getting those two...
  6. EJB14

Dual 721 in the house

Nice!! That sure is a great looking TT - I am tracking my V15III at 1.25g; Love my 701. It's my 'reference table'; I use the Thorens for the Grado carts, and the Denon - but when I want to record an album, it's the 701 + the Shure V15III. Amazing stereo separation on that cart, and the Dual is...
  7. EJB14

Yes, it does move. Not sure that is an indicator though; now that this is being brought up, I do recall it moving before I sent it off to Joseph for re-tipping. I was able to move the cantilever up and down with light pressure from a tweezer. I am running now at 1.6g, and it moves when I put it...
  8. EJB14

Yes - thanks - I plan on playing with the VTA a bit via listening tests from here on in to dial it in; that pic is on paper, which is thinner that my records too..so I don't think it is going to need much either way.
  9. EJB14

Ok - have it mounted and in use, so don't want to remove it just now for super closeups, but - yes, it is sitting down more - took this pic this am - here it is resting on my paper protractor on the TD-309:
  10. EJB14

Nice!! Looks great!
  11. EJB14

No idea - he didn't mention that the suspension was glued - I think that was an assessment in this thread based on the pics. He did say the original was 'fixable' though.
  12. EJB14

So I worked out a deal with the seller who gave me a $160 credit to get the cartridge re-tipped; I took that credit money and contacted Joseph Long on the bay (cartridge_retipping-5) and sent him the cartridge which he re-tipped for me and he did what appears to me to be fantastic work. When he...
  13. EJB14

Thank you, thank you DaveyW and MarcMorin and everyone else. This is exactly the help I was hoping for. I am curious who did the re-tip. In any event, I am going possibly try to return it as it is obviously not as advertised.
  14. EJB14

Some Pics of my Grado RS1; Can someone tell me if this has been re-tipped? On my Grado Red, the cantilever appears to be attached differently. I am wondering if the original owner should have said 'never been used after the retip' instead of 'never been used'. It looks 'different than many of...
  15. EJB14

Thanks - yes one of the reasons I bought this cart was DaveyW's site review. I also noticed that I hardly needed any anti-skate, so that is a good sign as well that you had it the same way. My USB microscope is cheap and hard to work with, but I will try and get a pic of the diamond to compare...
  16. EJB14

Hi folks; I recently acquired a used RS1 and so far I am liking it, though I am not sure if I have the setup exactly correct because I don't have much a reference (please excuse the pun) to go with. This is my first Grado wooden cartridge. I have a Grado Red which sounds fantastic to me ears. I...
  17. EJB14

Upgraded my receiver

Yes - blue glow!! Very nice!
  18. EJB14

Are records to Audiophiles what the mechanical watch movement is to watch collectors...?

I'll phrase it in the words of my brother, who earns his living making music (a studio musician and owns a music studio). Vinyl just sounds better. And, for a while anyway, many years ago, I drove a 67 convertible XKE Jag. Yeah, there was pretty much nothing more fun than that. I still miss that...
  19. EJB14

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

I am envious. I have the Daniel Hecht Willow Windham Hill Record, but I would love to have some of the samplers. Good stuff and great recordings.
  20. EJB14

Eagles! Some tracks on this you don't hear a lot that are really quite good...Journey of the Sorcerer for instance..very cool instrumental.
  21. EJB14

Cheap antique store find - I do not like rap, but this lp is too much fun and a great recording too.. Moreover, the end of side two never ends on a heavy beat. Great track to break in a new cartridge..
  22. EJB14

That is awesome - I have a copy now in my shopping basket now at the Target website - was the Vinyl warped at all? I have lately been getting a lot of warped new Vinyl, and I end up sending it back to Amazon sometimes two times before getting one I can live with. I may try to purchase the Vince...
  23. EJB14

Good stuff. Amazing how good this sounds being 42 years old.. Of course, a great cartridge, table, preamp, amp, headphones, etc. make some difference too. It definitely sounds better now.
  24. EJB14

This is a great album - had to send two back to Amazon before I finally got one that wasn't too badly warped.
  25. EJB14

Time to get Back in...well...you know.
Back
Top Bottom