Search results

1. jkaley

Mc225 mechanical power transformer vibration

Recapped an original Mc225. Before starting the job, I noted the power transformer was buzzing and thought new Authenticap cap cans and electrolytics would solve it. Finished the job and power transformer was still buzzing. Plugged it into a DC blocker to make sure no DC was getting to the...
  2. jkaley

Bearing well lubrication question

I'm working on a late 50's Canadian Microlab 12H turntable. At the bottom of the bearing well is a simple domed plug (thrust bearing?) held in by a c-clip. Is this designed to be lubricated with grease instead of oil? I've put some sewing machine oil in the well, and it easily seeps by the...
  3. jkaley

Tucker99!

Great transaction for a Shure V15 III. He took the time to test and evaluate the cart before the sale. Recommended!
  4. jkaley

Scott LK-48B Assembly manual

I was going through some audio manuals and realized I have the assembly manual for the Scott LK-48B/222D. I scanned it and it was added to the archives. If anything, it shows the factory balance/bias procedure. Here...
  5. jkaley

Scott 296 heater voltage

Working on a Scott 296. Looking at the schematic, it say -47 Vdc to feed 5 12ax7’s. (The 5th 12ax7 is a phono level stage) According to my math, -47/5 = -9.4 Vdc which is -4.7 Vdc per heater. Nominal is 6.3 V. Is -4.7 V on the heaters too low or no problem?
  6. jkaley

Thorens 160 question

I'm currently balancing an Thorens 160 MKI and am having an issue where the platter becomes un-leveled by simply adding the belt. Without the belt, the platter is perfectly level, when I add the belt and spin it for a minute to self-adjust the belt, the back of the platter is now 3/32nds lower...
  7. jkaley

The 35 year repair

Summer 1984. I just graduated high school, and my band was playing at a grad party. Half way through, BAM!, everything took a power hit and all amps were dead. We didn’t know how to fix anything, so we packed the gear and stayed to party. The guitar player took his solid state Peavey to a...
  8. jkaley

270ohm or .270ohm?

Can someone please tell me the written value of this resistor? In my brain, .27ohmK = 270ohm. The schematic simply says, .27 5w. It reads .3ohm on a meter. Thanks!
  9. jkaley

"Reforming" output transformer

Hello and a good day to all. I have a Mcintosh 225 output trandformer that has an internal short from the HV center tap to ground. As I was looking into rewinding options, I had an idea that may be crazy, but wanted some opinions. Since the OT is potted with tar, i wonder if the tar has gotten...
  10. jkaley

Scott 222c project

Gentlemen, please go easy on me as this is my first Scott 222c project. A friend dropped off his 222c reporting humming issues. Being more of a guitar amp guy, I went ahead and replaced all electrolytic and bypass caps. No DC leakage from coupling caps. Still humming as before. Replaced...
  11. jkaley

Scott 222c transformer Q's

I'm getting some odd voltages from a Scott 222c. Can someone please look at the attached photo and tell me if these are normal. Seems to me, there shouldn't be any AC going to the preamp tubes, and this may be the source of the amp hum. Thanks!
  12. jkaley

Scott 222c power supply

First Scott amp I'm working on. What is the correct value for the AC capacitor to ground? The original circuit has a .01/10KV (10,000pf?) and the modified, 3-prong has a 10n/1KV? The unit I have has a IEC 3-prong. I'm attaching an original and modified schematic for reference. Thanks! .
Back
Top Bottom