Search results

1. T

Does Garrard have the worst wow & flutter?

Yes, my bearing does rest on an o-ring. No effect on wow and flutter, though if you have debris from the disintegrated washer, you should clean it out. Since you're not seeing any problems, the differential diagnosis is that there's no debris so leave well enough alone. The main thing with the...
  2. T

Thanks for the add'l suggestions. It's not the measuring device; I confirmed speed and wow on two different phones. I also did the count the platter rotations to 100 for 3 minutes, Here are my two theories: 1) Since there is "wow" and there is "wow," instead of looking at the wow as a series...
  3. T

Yes. Tried three different ones. Oiled and reoiled. Also tried several different thrust washers.
  4. T

Well, it beats the heck out of me. No matter what I do, I can't get the wow on the SL-72B I'm restoring better than 0.21% (supposedly RMS, in the wow tt app). I am usually getting around 0.26% . (The SL-72B wow should be 0.07%, which is the Julian Hirsch measured figure from Stereo Review in...
  5. T

I'll check the thrust bearing. Thanks again.
  6. T

Thanks, @gadget73 . I am getting another platter to swap in. I had thought this is a potential source of the problem, too. I wrote this in my thread starter at top: "The next thing I'm trying on my SL-72B is to swap in a new platter, on the theory that the periodicity in the wow screen grab...
  7. T

Thanks for the question. I had intended to address this in my original post, cause it's important: Interestingly, when I listen to my SL-72B with the measured 0.26% wow, I don't hear anything that sounds off. No warbling. Now, I'm not a musician and I don't have perfect pitch. I dug out the...
  8. T

Yep. Hockey puck of electrical tape around the spindle and then phone on top. Plus, I cross-checked the wow on the RPM Turntable Speed app. (Free version cause my trial expired. I really should pay the $15. I actually prefer it to the RPM WOW app.)
  9. T

That's a salient observation when I think of my own experiences and frustration with Garrards. I did try a couple of passable idlers I have in my parts bin, but both are bit grip-challenged -- they rotated the platter just fine but stalled out on the auto cycle. So I should really try another...
  10. T

Curious about everyone's experiences with wow & flutter on vintage TTs. I am asking because of my recent experience restoring a gently used Garrard SL-72B. I can't get the wow below 0.25%. I am using the Turntable Speed (RPM WOW) app on iPhone. At first I thought this has to be me. Then I...
  11. T

Dual 1229 Motor Question

I have used the new aftermarket AV idler on my 1216 restoration and I can verify its quality. I had had a retread idler, but it wasn't stiff enough and performance was poor. I didn't touch the platter bearing, because I'm a Garrard guy and the Dual bearings seem to me to be harder to assess...
  12. T

Garrard SL95 Restoration

What if anything have you done abt the cart azimuth, which is supposed to be off (by design error) on the SL95? (It's correct on the SL-95B; it's the OG SL95 that's supposed to have this problem.
  13. T

Garrard SL95 Restoration

I've worked on a bunch of SL-95Bs. Those uckers are ALWAYS running a bit slow. One has to attack every last point of friction to get them to run at speed. When one does this, they will run nicely at ~33.43, which is where a changer that's supposed to be able to handle 5 records on the TT...
  14. T

My Garrard Lab 80 Obsession

OK, I have installed the new SL-95B grommets fabricated by @tothmes . Here are three pictures: 1) the new grommets sans clips, showing how they grab the SynchroLab II motor 2) An underside view of same. Note the red line I've added. You can see two of the grommets. The harder one is more...
  15. T

Garrard Model 770 'Reverse Unimech' Review

Did your on/auto and speed/size selector switches (the plastic portion) break off when you tried to use them? That's a problem I had w a Unimech I tried to restore. It's cause the plastic lever needs a long extension underneath the deck to reach the (relatively small) unimech chassis. So the...
  16. T

Powerful Dual 1000 motors

Speaking of the Dual 1216, here is my recently restored TT. (Beatle's Rubber Soul is playing.) If you notice, the single-play spindle is not accurate; I've repurposed (and inverted) a spindle from a Garrard SL-95B. The cart is a Shure M44E tracking at 2 grams. I do like the heavy platter, and...
  17. T

Thanks very much, @tothmes . Looking forward to seeing the new mounts!
  18. T

The Notorious Cartridge Question

I wonder how the favorite cartridge voting breaks down by age. I'm a senior, and in the 1970s and 80s we used to think that Audio Technica sucked. That's why I still think that, even though they have obviously improved. My guess is that it's the under-50s who like A-T. Anybody care to comment...
  19. T

Hi, I have the same take on this as @muchachos . You have visible pitting (most pronounced under the tonearm and in the lower left corner, though probably all the top place, I just can't see it in the photo), which means rust. If you spray paint over this, the rough surface will still be there...
  20. T

Agree 100% with @muchachos . ( @T68 , I don't believe it was exposed to any violence, except that which it endured at the factory in Swindon.) (Also tagging @vmedia since this relates to his issue.) It is my belief at ALL the high-end Garrards of that era ring. I restore SL-95Bs and every...
  21. T

And I'm thinking maybe you're too lazy to read the thread before commenting. If you had read it, you would understand why I replied the way I did: HINT: It was cause tothmes specifically asked me about the behavior of the grommets sans c-clips. (There is a picture earlier in the thread of the...
  22. T

@HamboneF18 : If you go and read the whole thread, it will show that the question was whether the grommets were grabbing the posts properly (as opposed to the pillars hanging down off of the c-clips). I have washers and c-clips in my post earlier in the thread.
  23. T

So, first off, I want to thank @tothmes . I don't take any of your stuff as criticism. You are clearly an ethical guy and I am glad that we can work thru this issue here with the vintage TT community. I certainly don't know any people in my personal life who I can talk to about Garrard...
  24. T

I hooked up the SL-95B I was talking about above. I'm running an old Ortofon VMS-3E thru the preamp section of an Advent Model 300 (visible in the picture). I am able to track it at 1.5 g in the Garrard, no problem. There's really no problem with rumble that I can discern. (It's there, you can...
  25. T

The motor pillars ARE being grabbed by the grommets (I know this because when you remove the c-clips, you have to pull on the pillars very hard to get them out of the grommets). Also, the pillars are pushed up as far as they can go, but I didn't get any click; it's not clicking into any detent...
Back
Top Bottom