Search results

1. ChristopherP

Dac to Dac?

Best deal out there. Several others said WIIM. I’d add WIIM Pro+. I just added one to my vintage Yamaha C2/M4 rig. I’ve upgraded the power supply to an iFi power supply, and used a good pair of cables. Together they probably cost more than the WIIM Pro+, but it’s worth it. The sound is...
  2. ChristopherP

DAC Filters

Thanks for sharing this.
  3. ChristopherP

AR ETL turntable troubles

Contact Dave Archibald at Vinyl Nirvana. He is located in New England. With his advice I am sure you can ship your table, and he can service it. He supports DIY and knows the community. He also does consulting which can save you significantly. I was able to get my AR The Turntable locally...
  4. ChristopherP

Nottingham Analogue Space Arm Wiring

I'm an AR guy, but there are a bunch of folks who may be interested in how your journey goes. Welcome to AK. :lurk:
  5. ChristopherP

Speed control for AC synchronous motors now that MH Cruise Control is discontinued?

As I said. KCC Scientific makes the thing. Take a look at the website. Mine has a pot because I requested it. If I’d gotten the base model, it would have just given rock solid power. I plugged mine in and it did what you said in your last line. Just My experience. Not a flyby night co...
  6. ChristopherP

Speed control for AC synchronous motors now that MH Cruise Control is discontinued?

In addition to those, it your table has a variable speed control built in, and you need stable power, https://www.kccscientific.com/audio-converters/ They used to make one with a +-12% pot on the front, which I have for my AR TT. They make rock solid power converters. A call to them got me a...
  7. ChristopherP

Recommendations for a custom cork slipmat?

Sleeve City has the Gemdandy mat. It's a product from George Merrill down in Tenn. It also avail at his website here: https://www.hifigem.com/rcc-mat/ I use it on my AR The Turntable with excellent results. I think in my rig it sounds better than cork.
  8. ChristopherP

Storing Records In Order

:lurk: looking for best practices too. I separate genre, then alpha order by what I call it. Not optimum, so I'm interested in what others say in answer to your question.
  9. ChristopherP

Jelco TS-550S or SA-750EB?

I agree with you on that. I have a scope and rock solid is required for both. When I had Pete put his in, I liked it because at the end of the day that's what it is. Set it for the cart. and forget it. Never moves. The photo is the one I probably would have looked at had it been avail. at...
  10. ChristopherP

Mark, I have the luxury of going to his place to purchase and install his VTA adjuster. It’s finicky and took him an hour or so to get right. After he installed it and listened in his rig, I found it worked(s) well. I thought that I would have not been able to get it in right on my own so...
  11. ChristopherP

I can't speak to the TS-550 arm. I have the 750 mounted on my AR The Turntable, fully refurbished with Linn springs. It has Pete Riggle VTA adjuster, with a Benz Ace L mounted. It's well balanced sonically, and sounds very good. I wouldn't hesitate to mount any arm from Jelco but I did...
  12. ChristopherP

Does WiiM have a good dac?

If you are happy with your DAC you need to could spend less on the WIIM Pro. I own a WIIM Pro + and am using it to update my Yamaha C2/M4 analog system. I did not have a DAC and the combo was too good to pass up at the price point. It’s fine to use only as a streamer of course, but everything...
  13. ChristopherP

Cartridge or stylus recommendation?

I have the Shure cart V15 type V. I’d replace the stylus as you suggest. The Shure motor if in good condition is just excellent. I have Grado’s as well as MCs. But my favorite MM in the stable is the Shure. JMO. Good luck with your decision. You have a very nice system. I’m running...
  14. ChristopherP

Nakamichi RX-505 Restoration Needed

I have a 505, very nice and well worth getting going. If you can't afford the service wait, save up and have it done by a pro tech. If you can get Willie to do it, then that is the the ticket. If not, check around for cassette techs in your area. Replacing the belts and cleaning are only the...
  15. ChristopherP

I joined the Elac Miracord 50H club!

I went through about half dozen different search terms. Also, looked on A-Gon, here at AK, USaudio, and Reverb. Use at least 45rpm adapter, Elac, Miracord, Radio Shack 45 adapter, etc.
  16. ChristopherP

No problem. They pop up from time to time. Took a couple of years watching eBay etc. they are out there.
  17. ChristopherP

Grado Cartridge Help

That is an excellent grade of Grado, probably closer to the top of the range. An 8MZ stylus of even a better stylus should work well with it. I doubt the Sumiko is compatible, but I bet Jico has a stylus which would work. JMO
  18. ChristopherP

Yes, there was a 45rpm stacker, one of these should work. I use the white one with my Braun P600 (in my thumbnail), a derivative of the ELAC automatic TT. The record removal technique is the same. Pull up and out the adapter, remove records. No clicks, latches, or fuss. No issues except you...
  19. ChristopherP

Dual 1229 - Worth Repairing?

Agree with those who recommend sending it in to fixmydual. I had one of these back in the day; stolen or I'd still have it. It's worth much more in sound value brought back to life by an expert. I'm pretty sure a clean and fully up to spec 1219 will outperform tables in the +1K bracket. JMO
  20. ChristopherP

Stereo Cabinet for Reel to Reel

I remember those days. (old guy) and yes, laying flat os certainly a good option. A I built my rack without RtRs in mind I couldn't do that, but a competent wood worker certainly could. The issue is weight. IKEA cubbies just won't hold up to it over time for heavy RTRs.
  21. ChristopherP

Stereo Cabinet for Reel to Reel

I came up with no inexpensive solution which didn't require major rework of my credenza holding my TTs. My solution was a Guitar Amplifier stand.
  22. ChristopherP

Tonearm automatic lifter and cueing lifter?

Audio Technica auto lift works one issue. I think they may have a cue lever as well. Only shake hands need this though.
  23. ChristopherP

69 albums - Left out in cold and rain for several weeks - what would you do?

I went through something similar. Sorry for your loses. I have a couple of thoughts. What I did was separate the albums from the sleeves, and the sleeves from the covers. I should have immediately washed them and stacked them til sleeves were available. As this was about 40 yrs ago I didn't...
  24. ChristopherP

NOT the same old phono pre question :)

Really sound operation if a little old fashioned web interface. Excellent service and support. Delivery as stated and solid products. I've had one of their TTs and preamps. All worked as advertised. Good luck with your search to play 78s as they were supposed to be played. It's a...
  25. ChristopherP

A tale of a Morin modified AR

He taught us all so much. You're right. Thanks for this.
Back
Top Bottom