Search results

1. RuairiMutt

Marantz 1150 Left Channel Distortion.

Sounds like a good place to start. Still learning the ins and outs, which transistors would these be? I know this is dumb to ask, but still learning the finer details.
  2. RuairiMutt

Minor Update. It took awhile to arrive but I replaced the 2N4923 transistor hidden below the driver heat sync, H709, and while the one there was bad, it did not correct the issue. I connected up my DVM and checked the bias, Idle Current between J701 & J702 calls for 10mV at idle. I can't get...
  3. RuairiMutt

Presently, I'm attempting to repair a sick left channel on this extremely nice looking stereo. When it came to me for repair, the left channel plays, but with a lot of distortion. It had been previously worked on. Used components were used, which I went ahead and replaced with brand new parts...
  4. RuairiMutt

Marantz 2270 Relay & Voltage Issues

Correct. H810 was shorted. I replaced all three though as I had them, and I did all this other work, I saw no reason to not replace them all out.
  5. RuairiMutt

Okay folks, I solved the issue with this stereo last night after going over the schematics and getting my eyes on the correct version of the schematic, as this is a very low serial number, I had to observe the early modifications Marantz made to these to get them "right", which is why some stuff...
  6. RuairiMutt

EDIT: I looked at the revised schematic for these from Marantz. It applies to low serial numbers, 1001 to 4900. Mine is in the 3000's. It mentiones R783 and R782 as being 1K trimmers, which is what I installed in place of the burned out one.
  7. RuairiMutt

UPDATE! I got it working. Somewhat; I'm dealing with a recent diagnosis from my doctor for Crohns Disease. So I have not felt like working much, finally feeling better, so I got back to this pesky thing and figured it out. I'm not totally sure what is going on though with the circuit. It looks...
  8. RuairiMutt

I started looking it over, I found a burned resistor in the R786 position. 120Ohm 1W. Replacing it made no difference.
  9. RuairiMutt

Also redid the measurement between J813 & J814 as stated, still seeing -45.6V
  10. RuairiMutt

I use all quality Nichicon Caps from Mouser. Power supply is done being recapped. Still having the relay issue where it's engaged as soon as the receiver is powered on. I rechecked the left amplifier, black to GND, Red to J757 and I see NEGATIVE 45.6V.
  11. RuairiMutt

Okay. I checked J813 and J814 and I had to use regular DC Volts on my DVM. I see -45 volts. So if I am understanding this correctly, I need to be looking at the right amplifier instead of the left? And just as due process I'm going to recap the power supply entirely.
  12. RuairiMutt

Got it. I'm going to get the amplifier pulled apart and I'll report back my findings tomorrow. I read somewhere else about an issue like this; Something holding it to rail.
  13. RuairiMutt

Okay. I have a Champagne 2270 on my bench with a very unhappy left channel amplifier. As soon as the power switch is pressed, the protection relay clicks on. As far as I can tell no one has by-passed this, or messed with the circuit, but the instant power is applied to the unit, the protection...
  14. RuairiMutt

Sansui 9090DB "The Basket Case"

Yes I believe this was the issue. I went over and found a blown 2SA1209 transistor, which I do not have a sub for, so I ordered out the correct parts, and will be replacing these. I'm going to go over everything again, this time I'll be using MJ21193 and 94 complimentary pairs. The transistors...
  15. RuairiMutt

Sansui 9090DB "The Basket Case"

I barely know where to start with this poor pathetic thing. Let's start this with: I have it in for repair, and I made a massive, epic mistake; I started working on it when I was very tired and in a bad mood. It had cheap Chinese knock-off Toshiba outputs installed on the right channel. Fine...
  16. RuairiMutt

Odd noise coming from SX-1050 - chirping from receiver, not speakers

I'll add in some additional information as I am the tech that did the partial recap of this particular SX1050. While it was in my possession, I decided it would be prudent to upgrade the transistors, and capacitors on the main power supply, and the power supply board under the chassis. I used...
  17. RuairiMutt

1000a Weird Glitch

So I have recently completed a full upgrade and recap of a 4-pot Bias 1000a Tube machine. Replaced all 4 of the outs with NOS Tungsol Tubes, everything is adjusted spot on, also did the 10ohm 1/2 resistor upgrade to protect the tubes and the transformers. Planning to replace the diodes as well...
  18. RuairiMutt

SX1010 Static Issue

I've been slowly working though getting this SX1010 back to life, it was run pretty hard. I've already recapped and replaced out the transistors on the power supply to get that set straight. I also had to replace all the outputs on the left channel as there was a short, which was causing all...
  19. RuairiMutt

SX1050 Recapping

Bit by bit I have been going though a quality recap of my SX1050. It's worked fine since the day I got it, with the exception it would occasionally get light distortion on the left channel which I tracked down to the relay contacts being dirty (Tapping it would make it happen, or eliminate it)...
  20. RuairiMutt

Sansui 5000a DC issues

I'm certainly not going to be plugging speakers in to it with my volt meter telling me both channels have a solid 38VDC going directly to the speaker plugs.
  21. RuairiMutt

G6000 Output Transistors

Oh jeez. Nope. I got a better look. Some of the numbers are really faded. It uses PNP and NPN. I feel dumb.
  22. RuairiMutt

G6000 Output Transistors

Another one I am currently working on getting going again. This one looks as if it was run incredibly hard at some point. The plastic vents on the top are warped out of shape. You can tell it was run hot and hard with poor ventilation. Anyway. No relay click as you'd expect. I tested and found...
  23. RuairiMutt

Sansui 5000a DC issues

I've been doing work on a Sansui 5000a recently on and off. The issue it's had since the day it ended up on my bench is 38 volts DC on both speaker channels. I tested the transistors on both drivers and none test as shorted, and I went ahead and replaced all 4 output transistors with ON Semi's...
  24. RuairiMutt

881 FM Stereo Reception

I got this 881 for myself though a friend who is super savvy at finding vintage gear. It was non-working when I got it. After replacing the amplifiers, and rebuilding and recapping the driver and power supply this thing really brings down the house with how hard it hits. Amazing sounding unit...
Back
Top Bottom