Search results

1. ScottFan355

Repainting Yamaha NS-10m

Hello all! I scored a pair of these at a thrift but the cabinets ae pretty rough. Can anyone tell me what the proper paint and procedure is to make them look new again?
  2. ScottFan355

Preamplifier Tube Rolling

Hey everyone! Just trying to get some info on preamp tube rolling. I recently acquired a Nobsound ‘Shigeru Wada’ preamp and want to try some tube rolling. I posted the schematic and according to another ak member the negative feedback loop in my preamp will cancel out much of the differences...
  3. ScottFan355

Questions About Preamp Circuit

Hello all! I just had a few questions and wanted opinions about this preamp circuit. I know little about electronics though some of it is starting to seep through from osmosis while reading on these forums. I recently acquired this Chinese "Shigeru Wada" preamp which I believe is supposedly a...
  4. ScottFan355

LK-72 Scott Preamp Tube Positions?

Hello all! I’m sure this a bit of a noob question but try as I might I couldn’t find an answer on the net anywhere. If looking down on the four 12ax7s are the two on the left the phono tubes? I plan to try a bit of tube rolling and the phono is what I want to focus on. I also have another...
  5. ScottFan355

Decent Power Amp That Will Fit In A Kallax Square?

Hello all! I’m looking for ideas for a decent power amp that will fit in a kallax square, preferably with protection. I want to make the top all tube but I still use ss for movies or background music and there’s just no room for two monos, a preamp, and my sx-850. Looking for something...
  6. ScottFan355

Nobsound ‘Marantz 7’ Questions/Opinions

Hello all! I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these and I was wondering what people think in general as well as having a specific question. First off I understand that this isn’t a ‘clone’ of a Marantz 7, it’s a simple line-level preamplifier that is supposedly ‘inspired’ by it...
  7. ScottFan355

Preamp For Heathkit W5M

Hello all! I recently came into a pair of beautifully restored Heathkit W5Ms. At the moment my preamp options are to use my fx audio 01 or my Pioneer sx-850 as a preamp. The Pioneer seems to have more gain and ‘balls’ and let my speakers shine more (Hales Concept Two - 87 or 88db 6 ohm) but I...
  8. ScottFan355

Please Take Care of Essential Workers!

Hello all! This is a plea to everyone in the AK community to do all they can to show support for essential workers during this time of crisis. Examples would be tipping your delivery driver/takeout person generously, letting grocery and convenience stores know you are willing to pay more for...
  9. ScottFan355

Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 as Pre?

Hello all! I recently acquired a pair of restored Heathkit W5-m monoblocks and am looking for a temprary preamp solution (currently using them with a little fx-audio tube pre. There is a D1 for sale locally and I have a few question for those that are familiar with it. How does the tube out...
  10. ScottFan355

Restored Heathkit W5-M Reliability?

Hello all! I’m going to look at a pair of very nicely restored W5-Ms tomorrow and I’d like some opinions. The restoration appears to be top-notch, and it seems much of what can be done to address the reliability of the transformers has been done (soft start-up, 5r4 replaced with 5ar4, beefier...
  11. ScottFan355

Scott lk72 vs VTA ST-120

Hello all! I’m in a bit of a quandary. I have a (mostly) restored lk72 was that sounds fantastic in my setup. Truth be told, if sound quality were the only criteria I would call it a day and not post this. But I have an overwhelming desire to actually see glowing tubes in a sitting position...
  12. ScottFan355

Circuit Board Cage For Dynaco ST-70!

Hello all! Just wondering if anyone has ever found a source for, or has any good ideas about, a small cage for an original or modified st-70? I’ve been considering getting another dynaco or Latino build but the exposed circuit board is a huge turnoff for me. Both the appearance and the nasty...
  13. ScottFan355

HH Scott vs Conrad Johnson?

Hello all! Just wondered how people who’ve heard both would describe the difference in sound characteristics, imaging etc. I’m not talking about CJ’s super high-end stuff, more like the cav45, mv-50, etc. For reference I have a LK-72 (that I’m actually very happy with). Thanks in advance!
  14. ScottFan355

Pioneer SX-850 vs Realistic STA-2100d?

Hello all! I have a question, particularly for those who have heard both receivers. I have a line on a Realistic STA-2100d for a decent price. For some background I somewhat recently sold my beloved 9090db in a moment of crisis as well as to fund the purchase of a restored Scott lk-72...
  15. ScottFan355

Who Has a Hangover Today?

Started the night with two tequila shots and then made the wise move to go out in walking distance from home. Lots of beer and more tequila later I managed to wake up (late) hung over but with no headache. My friend wasn’t so lucky, she’s on her third ibuprofen. How are you all feeling today?
  16. ScottFan355

Check This Out

Thought I’d share with all of you what one of the local hi-fi stores is offering - no affiliation.
  17. ScottFan355

New Insight into ‘Tube Sound’

Hello all! I’m the proud new owner of a mostly restored Scott LK-72. At the sellers house I was a bit worried and was uncertain if I would buy it. The reason? With his speakers (an unusual brand I’d never heard of) the amp (well, the combo of amp and speakers) sounded like a caricature of...
  18. ScottFan355

Should I buy this LK-72?

Hello all! I’m trying to decide whether or not to pull the trigger on this Scott tonight. It’s been recapped and works fine but the seller is unsure what if any additional restoration has been done. I was wondering if any of you can tell from these pics what if anything additionally needs to...
  19. ScottFan355

Opinions On Jolida JD1000BRC?

Hello all! Just wondering what people’s impressions are of this amp? I’ve heard a smaller Jolida before and was impressed with the sound. This seems to be one of the only high-power tube integrateds that can be found on the secondary market for less than insane prices.
  20. ScottFan355

Cartridge Recommendations for U-Turn Orbit?

Hello all! Having been without a working turntable for months I made an impulse buy of a used U-Turn Orbit today. It’s the basic with cueing lever and came with the stock AT cart. My plan was to use this cart for a couple months and then upgrade but alas after I got home I realized the stylus...
  21. ScottFan355

Cambridge Soundworks Model Six - I’m impressed

Hello all! While visiting my local GW I came across a pair of these speakers. Looked at the back, saw quality binding posts, saw that they had some heft, drivers looked good so I thought for $20 what the heck. Took them home to try them out and - wow. These little things can really fill a...
  22. ScottFan355

Thinking About a DAC...

Hello all! I’ve been considering getting an external DAC for some time now. Most of my listening is done by streaming Spotify (I plan to go lossless as soon as it’s offered) through my Iphone 5s or my laptop that is a few years old through headphone to rca. My system is a recapped/restored...
  23. ScottFan355

Audiokarma Emoticons!

Okay, I have no idea where to post this but it’s driving me nuts! How does one accomplish the various AK emoticons?!? I’ve figured put a couple...
  24. ScottFan355

How Much Unclipped Power To Fry Tweeters?

Hello all! Any thoughts on how much unclipped power one can use before worrying about frying tweeters? Obviously it depends on the speaker but assume a robust higher-end tower with mid to high 80s sensitivity.
Back
Top Bottom