Search results

1. B

Empire Turntable Identification Prior to Purchase

A few days before thanksgiving I received a text message from a friend that included a single pic of an empire turntable. Apparently it was discovered by abother friend that was cleaning out a house of a deceased relative. Due to holidays and conflicting schedules with work (he travels...
  2. B

Garrard Zero 100 Rebuild Issue, Cueing Alignment

I recently acquired a Zero 100 turntable that was pretty much locked up solid due to the solidified grease. Since I’m not a stranger to servicing highly mechanical tables (I have quite a few Duals) I gave it a go but I’ve never actually worked on a Zero 100 before. I tried to isolate each...
  3. B

Garrard Zero 100 Tonearm Wiring Question

I’m in the process of servicing a Zero 100 turntable and ultimately will need to rewire it. This is an early table and has extremely brittle wires with intermittent contact. The casing was starting to harden and flake off when I received the table, 2 of the wires were already broken off the...
  4. B

Technics SL-2000 Turntable, Dead Channel after RCA Cable Replacement

This thread is a follow up to my previous one regarding the same table. The factory RCA cables were in horrible shape so i ended up replacing them with some Mogami cable and new gold plated connectors. I was very pleased with the end result but i still have a dead channel! Swapping cables on...
  5. B

Technics SL-2000 RCA Cable Replacement Options

I recently acquired a Technics SL-2000 turntable in excellent condition with the exception of the connection cable ends. It looks like that was the only exposed part of the table during storage and mice/rats decided that's where they were going to pee on a daily basis. I've cleaned them up as...
  6. B

Sansui SR-4050C Turntable Restoration Questions

Over the weekend i was able to drag home a fairly complete system that belonged to a Vietnam vet (it was all purchased in country and shipped home minus the 4 Sansui speakers) which included the turntable in the title. It's an absolutely beautiful table and appears to be very similar to the...
  7. B

JBL 2345 Horn/2470 Compression Driver for Home Stereo Use?

I was recently contacted by a friend who knows that I have a nack for finding undesired objects a new home. He was, many years ago, a scientist by day and musician at night. Since his stage days are long behind him, he’s decided to clear out his home and make room for other things that...
  8. B

Sequerra Pyramid Metronome 2 + 2W. Thoughts and Reviews?

I'm helping a longtime family friend clear out his garage (we tackled the clothing/indoors 2 years ago) and uncovered a pair of these things buried underneath old furniture and roadie cases They look like the suffered some slight water damage and some of the aluminum edging is off but present...
  9. B

Who owns a Pioneer PL-A35? I need some help

Currently I have a PL-A35 pulled apart on my kitchen counter and hit a snag on the arm elevator mechanism. upon reassembly, I can’t remember how the larger V spring is oriented. I’ve got the service manual with me but it’s somewhat vague. Can anybody lift their chassis and snap some pics for...
  10. B

Kappa 8's Power Question/Amp Choice

My recent acquisition mint of Kappa 8's had me floating on a cloud but as i get closer to actually firing them up, i'm starting to get a bit nervous. Infinity has a reputation of making power hungry speakers, especially the Kappa series and there lies my question. My RS1b mid/high panels were...
  11. B

SR-838 Feet Replacement, What are your thoughts?

As of last weekend, i'm now the father of a beautiful SR-838 turntable. I was able to bring it home for a decent price along with a Quad Marantz receiver due to them both having "issues" So far, the table has been quite easy to repair. It had a slight speed wobble but that was corrected by...
  12. B

Mystery EQ Identification

Last weekend I ended up buying 2 lots of audio gear. One came as a surprise while the other was something I knew about and had to wait until a deal could be made. when I brought home the larger of the 2 lots, a few more pieces were slipped into the pile unbeknownst to me. I’m not complaining...
  13. B

EV Interface D w/ Damaged VMR Repair or Rebuild

Good morning everybody, as my title states, i have some Interface D speakers sitting in my garage that i would really like to get going again. They were purchased for a song but minor issues popped up that needed to be addressed. The first issue was mismatched woofers. The "replacement" was...
  14. B

Lancer 66 Variations, Did they all have ports?

I've been in possession of some Lancer 66 speakers for some time that were part of a Fisher tube setup package deal. They were in neglected shape (refoamed in 1980) and definitely needed some attention to get going again. Since i've been busy with other projects, its taken me about 6 months to...
  15. B

James Loudspeaker Cinema 10 Subwoofer Info/Specs/Reviews?

Is anybody familiar with these subwoofers? I ended up taking one home over the weekend and can't seem to find any sort of instructions or specs for these. It looks very well built and has a massive surround for the 10" driver but i'm at a loss for connecting it to test. Searching online...
  16. B

ADS 1290 speakers, FREE in Temecula on CL

Currently mobile at work but i just saw these when i had a few minutes. Ad is a few hours old. (not my ad!) Speakers are a bit sunbleached and without grills but the drivers look great. If i wasn't 2 hours away, id be on my way. Hopefully another member can nab these.
  17. B

Cerwin Vega DJ Pro Audio Horde, Should I buy?

After spending a few hours working on one of my motorcycles earlier this evening, I spotted a driveway completely filled with huge DJ speaker cabinets on my route home Curiosity got the better of me so I pulled over and asked if the stuff was getting tossed or sold (there was a flat bed filled...
  18. B

Unusual “ID This Gear” Challenge

This isn’t your average ID thread as I’m not looking to buy whats in the photograph. I was going through some pictures from my grandparents (they just moved) and came across this picture. supposedly it was my Mom’s friends setup at the family beach house in Newport Beach. nothing looks...
  19. B

Safest Way to Clean IMG Cones?

I'm about to start rebuilding a few pairs of RS-1000/1001 mini bookshelf speakers but wanted so guidance on the foam removal process. The poly cones are completely rotten and will wipe off into a dusty powder (these are the easy ones) but the IMG cones were rebuilt with new foams X number of...
  20. B

Whats a Fair Offer on 1 Owner JBL L112s

I was was making my rounds today and happened to stumble upon a guy that did part time DJ work as well as a lifelong musician. We got to talking and he mentioned he had some JBLs upstairs that might possibly be for sale. We walked up and I was greeted with those wonderful white cones and...
  21. B

EPI M-110 w/ Cracked Rubber Surrounds Replace or Leave Alone?

Over the weekend i picked up some EPI M-110 speakers (my 2nd pair from the extended Burhoe family) and i'm looking forward to getting them into playing shape. At 1st and 2nd glance, they were in great shape with only some minor cosmetic flaws to the vinyl veneer. After wiping off the dirt and...
  22. B

7 Kappa Speakers w/ Replacement Midranges, What are These?

By a stroke of pure luck, a pair of 7 Kappa speakers followed me home this afternoon. Due to time constraints, I had only a few minutes to make them mine and didn’t catch the replaced mid ranges I popped them open to look for some clues but found nothing giving me any hint as to their origin...
  23. B

Fisher 500B Tube & Component Questions

Over the weekend I ended up buying a 500B for what I though was a fair price. It looked dirty but I could see the real jewel lurking beneath the dirty exterior. Since it was a very busy weekend, I just now had some time to look it over and write things down. My main questions are about the...
  24. B

Altec 15” Driver with Severe Sag, Can it be Salvaged?

I came across some interesting speakers yesterday that were in a home of a neighbor and I had some questions about them before making an effort to buy them. After asking permission to check them out, and finding a ladder, we popped the covers off to discover Altec horns and mismatched 15”...
  25. B

RCA RE-81 Record Player w/ Tube Amp, Can is be repurposed?

I was talking to a family friend this morning and we got on the topic of record recorders. She said that sounded familiar and showed me one she’s had for years that came from her distant relative. Turns out she’s got a RCA RE-81 record player and 2 speed recording unit in her garage but it’s...
Back
Top Bottom