Search results

1. Mr. G

How many vintage receivers do you have?

Nothing too terribly impressive, but here's my list... Kenwood KR-4070 (bought new in '78) Allied 335 (essentially a Pioneer SX-440) Pioneer SX-650 (had to have an x50 Pioneer) Nikko NR-300 (just bought and fixed, should be good for the garage) Pioneer SX-2300 (bought new in '88 because my...
  2. Mr. G

STK Module Failure : STK-465 Post-Mortem

Yeah, just used a Dremel fiber cutting disc.
  3. Mr. G

If you do so and have a similar failure, you'll see that the dies are not burnt or destroyed but just "loose" where the bond has failed. If you poke the bad transistors with a probe the dies have some movement and give to them, whereas the good output transistors are affixed solidly.
  4. Mr. G

Though I didn't check it with a scope, I would think, as you mentioned, the output would have been positive half wave on both channels, as both the lower output transistors were open.
  5. Mr. G

Recently picked up the audio bug again and decided to buy a cheap Nikko NR-300 receiver to fix. Initially, it had distortion on one channel and the other sounded OK. So I proceeded to give it a once over cleaning and re-soldering of any suspect joints. In doing so I also re-soldered all the...
  6. Mr. G

Always. Check. The. Resistor. Values. Don't. Trust. The. Label.

Just remember on resistors today red = brown = orange. That's all you have to know.
  7. Mr. G

What is with the new thing using a garden hose to clean audio equipment?

Since the phasing out of solvent type cleaners 25+ years ago, aqueous (water) based cleaning processes have become the norm for cleaning electrical/electronic assemblies in the electronics manufacturing industry. In most cases, water is completely safe to use to clean electronic equipment. The...
  8. Mr. G

Diode and resistor help for Tascam 22-4.

Based on available datasheets, appears that the DSA26C is a 2.6A 400V standard rectifier. You had asked about using the RL207 as a possible replacement. According to published data, the RL207 is a 2A 1000V device. While the voltage rating is plenty good, it appears that the current rating leaves...
  9. Mr. G

Sgt. Peppers 50th Anniversary Blu Ray Wow!

Thanks for making me feel old. It seems like not long ago I bought SP on a new high-tech CD to celebrate the 20th anniversary.
  10. Mr. G

What brand would you choose first: Rubycon, Nichicon, or Panasonic?

I've used all sorts of Panasonic caps from Digi-Key for almost 30 years now. I've never had issues with them. Other brands are good too, but I feel best about Panasonic.
  11. Mr. G

Show some love for recievers!

Worked long hours in '77 and '78 washing dishes to buy this - my first major purchase. It's been in retirement for many years. It endured the shame and humiliation of many years of dirt, dust, paint splatters and general neglect during this time. Recently, it was called up again for active duty...
  12. Mr. G

The Clip Lead Blues

As others have stated, they need solder... I've been using those style cheap jumper leads professionally for at least 20 years. From the factory, they are basically junk and will not hold up over time. However, if you simply disassemble the connections and reassemble them using solder...
  13. Mr. G

POll: For how many people does this kid's blog title reflect your life?

I would have voted #1 if it were worded a bit differently. I don't see anything sad about taking cast off junk and restoring it to its former glory. In fact, I absolutely love taking on projects where vintage stuff is brought back from the dead. I also really enjoy seeing/reading others...
  14. Mr. G

speaker magnets can effect health?

You'll be turned to steel in the great magnetic field.
Back
Top Bottom