Search results

1. Jibe01

Stripped a small turntable screw. How do I get it out?

I'm in the process of replacing the interconnect cables on my Sony PS-X5 turntable. I was removing some small screws & all were coming out fine until this one. The phillips head slot has started to strip & this bugger is in there tight. The manual says this is a PTPWH3X8 screw, I guess I'll have...
  2. Jibe01

Clapton is suing a Grandmother now

https://consequence.net/2021/12/eric-clapton-sues-woman-selling-bootleg-live-recording/
  3. Jibe01

Servicing small motor - need advice on removing strain relief component

Hi taking this motor apart to clean & re-lube. Can anyone tell me the best way to loosen the grommet/strain relief on the electrical cord in the motor housing? I don't want to destroy it.
  4. Jibe01

Ortofon 2M Blue - Cyber Monday deal

Saw the Ortofon 2M Blue for $118.94 on a site named Kenwebs. Odd though because they mainly sell women's clothing. Anyone have experience buying anything from them? https://www.kenwebs.com/shop/ortofon-2m-blue-phono-cartridge
  5. Jibe01

Randy Bachman fan finds his guitar that was stolen in 1976

A friendly sleuth saw it in a video from Japan https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/oct/16/randy-bachman-lost-guitar-gretsch
  6. Jibe01

Damn! Mick Jagger having a beer last night in a dive bar down the street from me.

The Thirsty Beaver Saloon is a well-loved dive bar in the neighborhood here in Charlotte, NC - about a 10 minute walk from my house - been there for what seems forever. A few years ago a local land developer owned the property around it, & when the developer tried to force them to sell out, the...
  7. Jibe01

Fell off a 3 story building, landed on his head, then took up the saxophone. Strange & inspiring

Came across this in BBC news today. At 16, fell off a 3 story building. On the way down, had a vision of himself playing an instrument, so he taught himself how to play the saxophone. Ended up at Berklee. https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-58465559
  8. Jibe01

Nanci Griffith,RIP

Just read the sad news. Such a gifted singer, songwriter
  9. Jibe01

DIY Phono interconnect project - Noob mistake, will it still work

I'm replacing the old phono interconnects on my Sony PS-X5 turntable, using Van Damme Pro Grade Classic XKE cable. Trying to use a low-capacitance cable. The cable got delivered, and it looks like I ordered the wrong cable. I'm trying to figure out if I can still use what arrived, or should I...
  10. Jibe01

New vinyl - How much warp is acceptable?? Frustrating

I started buying records in the early 70's, and on through the late 80's. In all that time, I don't think I ever bought a defective record. Quality control seemed to be spot on. I never had a problem, and it was a real treat to buy a much anticipated album, put it on, then sit back & enjoy. Now...
  11. Jibe01

SX-750 - Left Channel out, on phono only

I recently noticed that when I played vinyl, there was no sound coming out of the left speaker. I tested around and found: 1. Reversing the speaker hook up made the dead channel switch to the right speaker. 2. CD player hooked up to Aux. sounded fine from both speakers, no problems. 3. DAC...
  12. Jibe01

Low hum in a Friend's radio

A friend has asked me to help get her radio fixed. It came from her Dad, so it's pretty special to her. Its a Lafayette 99-35644WW solid State radio. About a year & a half ago I Deox'd the pots, and that did a good job of getting rid of the static. Now it has developed a low hum when it is...
  13. Jibe01

Akai X-360DS R to R, non- working - Value?

I got this reel to reel out of my Dad's garage. I have plugged it in, but nothing happens. I checked the fuse & it is working. I have cleaned and restored the exterior. I've got the wood in good shape with Restor-a-finish, and wax. I don't have the time or inclination to try & diagnose/restore...
  14. Jibe01

Akai X-360DS Reel to Reel - What to do with it?

So I got this reel to reel from my late Dad's garage. I've cleaned it up, restored the wood, but I cannot get any life out of it. I've checked the fuse, and it is ok. I have limited time to diagnose and fix. And I don't need to add a RtoR to my collection. I had interest from a local guy who...
  15. Jibe01

Returning defective LP - Who pays?

I purchased a new album from a private seller on Discogs recently, and was disappointed to find a manufacturing defect in the grooves that makes one song unplayable. The seller tells me to return it & he will replace it. All good so far. But in this situation, who typically pays for the cost of...
  16. Jibe01

Pioneer SX-750 - Connecting to Tape function for CD player - Opinions?

Looking for opinions on this. I have a Pioneer SX-750 receiver. I was streaming music from my laptop to it through the receiver’s Aux connection. I wanted to connect my CD player the receiver, so I connected the CD player to the Tape 2 connection in back, so I did not have to unplug the...
  17. Jibe01

50 years ago tonight you could see Led Zeppelin for $7

Saw this posted on a local website today. I was too young for this one
  18. Jibe01

Panoram, early video jukebox

Never knew these existed until now. Video even gIves a brief view of the guts inside
  19. Jibe01

Quarantining in Italy

20. Jibe01

Yamaha Receiver - Why it cuts out under load

I'm thinking about purchasing this unit for very, very little money.. This is the description: RX-V2300 - High power digital sound processor is about 16 years old and NEEDS A CIRCUITRY REPAIR to stop the unit from turning off under load. Working remote included. Any advice on what could be...
  21. Jibe01

SX-750 - Closest Siblings?

I have an SX-750 that I will recap in the near future. AK has been a great resource of information for taking this on. But I know that typically, several receivers (& turntables, etc.) have a lot of problems in common, and are built very similar. So my questions is, what others of the SX series...
  22. Jibe01

Legendary record store owner, Bill Wisener, of Dallas, R.I.P

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/commentary/2020/01/11/bill-wisener-who-every-day-for-40-years-ran-dallas-last-record-store-died-saturday/?fbclid=IwAR1-wyMx-f3HlVHpcj4ZYkcoatcIiKyys-0o3GHI0xkT9VkF6cDuQTuwnPQ
  23. Jibe01

2000A - Problem with Copper Heat Sink F-1180 Board

I will be re-capping my Sansui 2000A soon, as well as replacing the noisy transistors. As I am working on the bill of materials, I noticed something odd on the Driver-Amp board F-1180, which has a layout out which is mirror-imaged down the center. I assume that the 2000X model will have this...
  24. Jibe01

Left Channel drops out when playing vinyl

I'm using a Sony PS-5X TT that I recently got back into working condition. Over the weekend I noticed that the left channel wasn't paying through the speaker. I switched to the CD player, and the left channel works fine through the speaker. I played another album, and the left channel returned...
  25. Jibe01

Shrink Wrap - Problem, or Saviour?

When I started buying albums many years ago, I always read that when you buy a new one you should remove the shrink wrap that it came packaged in. If you didn't, it would keep shrinking, and start warping the vinyl. So, through the years, I religiously did this, always worried that if I didn't...
Back
Top Bottom