Search results

1. hiwattnick

The Official *Technics SL-1200* Owners Club

Hi there WPD, A cork mat is actually going to reduce static build up, but if you’re looking for an original Technics rubber mat, I’d check with Kevin at KAB. He’s got a ton of great upgrades and mods to really get a 1200 operating at its maximum potential. I picked up a Herbies Way Excellent...
  2. hiwattnick

As far as the tonearm oil damper possibly being in need of fixing, that vid will probably help out. You can also email Kevin at KAB too.
  3. hiwattnick

Hey there You could get a replacement stylus from JICO for the M97xE. A hyper elliptical or SAS. I own both carts and they’re both really good, The Nagaoka is a bit more lively sounding with a really nice all around sound, and the Shure has a smoother more balanced sound. If ya can, get em...
  4. hiwattnick

What TT's do you folks have

Beautiful turntable! Absolutely love the plinth with the different colored dovetails. Joseph has also done some retips for me, and always does a fantastic job. Gotta send him my DL103r as well to have a micro line stylus put on it. Anyway, wonderful turntable.
  5. hiwattnick

James is legendary when it comes to upgrading and fixing 1200’s. I’ve learned so much from him over the years.
  6. hiwattnick

Beautiful turntable!
  7. hiwattnick

Kevin and his company KAB single handedly took 1200’s from “just a DJ deck” to a true high end audiophile turntable through his upgrades and mods for this amazing turntable. I’m sure you’re aware that they were originally intended as an audiophile turntable, but DJ’s started using them because...
  8. hiwattnick

Nice! The MC30 is a classic. I dig Ortofon. If you’re looking for a tube phono pre, check out Tavish. They’re all tube based phono preamps, and their prices are a steal for what you get. They’ve got tons of loading options for MM and MC carts. They’re also really well made. The owner, Scott...
  9. hiwattnick

Looks absolutely beautiful! Love the SME arm on it. What type of cart and phono stage are you running? Ive got a KAB upgraded and modded 1200 M3D. Just mounted a Denon DL103r on a Jelco HS-25 headshell. Had to add the KAB 17 gram additional counterweight, but it sounds killer. Also going through...
  10. hiwattnick

Show us your cartridges and/or tonearms!

Great cart! I’ve got one in my collection, and it really does have a great sound.
  11. hiwattnick

What's your latest audio purchase?

Thanks so much for your response. Your answer was a lot of help. I unfortunately don’t have a dealer that I could demo a unit, but I’m not too worried. Tekton regularly uses Parasound amplifiers in their sound demos at shows, and the a23+ with 160 wpc of Class A/B power seems more than enough...
  12. hiwattnick

What's your latest audio purchase?

Hey there, Just curious about how you’re digging your Parasound A23+. I’m in the market for a new amp, and the A23+ seems to check off all the boxes. Are you running the balanced inputs into it from a pre or DAC? I’d most likely be running a Schiit Freya +‘s balanced outs into the balanced ins...
  13. hiwattnick

Tekton Owners Thread

Yeah, as @Pinkfloyd4ev mentioned, Just call up Tekton and speak to Eric. It’s always great when you can actually speak to the designer and CEO of a company. When I called to order my Pendragons, he picked up the phone and couldn’t have been more helpful and friendly, and he also gave me all the...
  14. hiwattnick

I’ve thought the same myself. Is there really no way to do both? Would something like a Q-Up fit in there better than a Fwend? I dunno. Haven’t tried one.
  15. hiwattnick

Thanks a lot, man! You’ll find one. An older SL1200 is somewhat inexpensive these days, but built like a tank! They’re super easy to work on too. Cheers, my friend and welcome to AK! :) - Nick
  16. hiwattnick

Technics SL1200 M3D w/KAB mods & upgrades
  17. hiwattnick

@chamaruco Woohoo! Congrats on the upgrade to an external PSU. I’ve heard Precision Sound Lab makes some great stuff.
  18. hiwattnick

Science! Lol
  19. hiwattnick

@Mr Boochie Great method for setting azimuth. That’s probably the biggest PITA to get right when setting up a turntable and after doing a rewire of the tonearm. At least right now, I just can’t justify the price of buying a Fozgometer, but I’ll eventually pick one up. They’ve gone down in price...
  20. hiwattnick

The Herbies mat can go directly on the platter, and if you do that you might wanna get a thicker version than the standard 3mm thick and get the 5mm thick one depending on how tall your cartridge is. I personally use another mat below the 3mm Herbies right now. As far as the DIN plate, it seems...
  21. hiwattnick

They do at least in SL1200’s, which have cheap tinned wire in the stock tonearms. It’s such stiff wire too. Replacing it with OFC litz wire causes quite a large increase in SQ. I didn’t think it’d make that big of a difference, but it ended up being probably the biggest and most noticeable...
  22. hiwattnick

Between our 2 links, I think he’ll be well prepared for the 1200 rewire. The Hoffman link is very helpful too. Btw, DoctorJa, I love how the Herbies mat looks on your AR XA. As you can see, I use one too on my SL1200.
  23. hiwattnick

Here’s a link that Kevin from KAB sent me on how to rewire the tonearm on a 1200, as they’re not fully complete on the KAB site. It’s a PITA, but the sound quality is very much improved especially if you buy the KAB rewire Kit. These are the complete directions, btw. The KAB site only has like 1...
  24. hiwattnick

Huh? What’s foo fooing?
Back
Top Bottom