Search results

1. B

Quicksilver Monoblock, B&W Diamond speaker, Tube Blow

When an output tube of a tube amp fails, and you hear a pop, what are you hearing? The tube, or the fuse?
  2. B

Thank you. I also use a solid state amp for the diamond speakers, as they are dynamically very capable. But say I were to use a higher powered tube amp like the ARC D125, the failure mode remains--tube blow = loud pop. The crossover bit makes sense, as the component will prevent lower freqs...
  3. B

I have a set of monoblocks (takes EL34, 8417, or 6550 tubes) which I want to hook up to the Bowers & Wilkins 805D speakers. When my output tube failed in the past, my L100 speakers produced a very loud pop sound that I fear might damage the $1k diamond tweeters aboard the B&W speakers. Of...
  4. B

Audio Research SP11 vs Luxman CL-35 MkIII

CohibaJoe, I believe you will you enjoy a CL-35. I was particularly attracted to the step volume and tone controls. Not tubey IMHO. I am local in Jersey City, if you want to give it a listen.
  5. B

Audio Research SP11 vs Luxman CL-35 MkIII

Greetings. I am looking for feedback from those that have heard Audio Research and Luxman gear in their experience. I recently acquired an SP11 hybrid preamp with stock tubes. Plugged it in to the main system in place of a Luxman CL-35 mkIII, and instantly noticed a difference in imaging and...
  6. B

Post your vintage audio racks

how did you come about racking the Phase Linear components into the rack? I see no holes were drilled. Did you use shelves?
  7. B

linear phase 700 amp. opinions needed....

Northwinds said, "These amps will drive very low impedance loads but at higher volume levels require fan cooling." How about running a stock PL400 II into a nominally rated 4 ohm speaker with dips to 2.8 ohms (low midrange), in a home setup? I am seeking opinions on this potential setup, as I...
  8. B

Phase Linear and Sonus Faber

Thanks again. Should I WOPL up the phase amp, is it still advised to use cooling fans for high current applications?
  9. B

Thanks and I agree. I should look into WOPL conversions, I see significant upgrade opportunity and suppose better capability to drive high current speakers.
  10. B

Hello all, I would like feedback and opinions on the pairing of the Sonus Faber Cremona (floorstander) and Phase Linear 400 ser II. I am researching the Sonus Faber Cremona to potentially acquire for my tube setup, but would also like to utilize them with my solid state, Phase Linear setup. I...
  11. B

choosing a premp

I had the PL 4000 briefly but ultimately opted to switch onto the PL 4000 ser II. Both units sounded great after a servicing of the caps, including those in the signal path! I might add that the PL has a (tolerable) noise floor to it, no biggie. What drew me to the PL preamps were its dual...
Back
Top Bottom