Search results

1. Mark Davis

Does EFB benifit a early serial number Fisher 400?

I am starting to restore my second Fisher. 400. On the first 400 I installed IBAM but did not include EFB. I thought I read somewhere on this forum that for the early serial number models EFB didn't do much for them with IBAM installed. Is this correct as I can't find it now. Does...
  2. Mark Davis

Fisher 400 Restoration question

Hello I am beginning the restoration of a Fisher 400 serial # 34129S. I have cleaned and Deoxit the unit. I have Tested the Tubes. V3 and V5 were giving me some questionable readings. I am using a Hickok 532 I hooked it up to a dim bulb tester connected to my Variac. Everything looked good...
  3. Mark Davis

Majority opinion on Fisher Ero Fol II Capacitor

I am getting ready to do the restoration / modifications on my second Fisher 400. The first one I did most all of the modifications Dave Gillespie listed in his 400 restoration. It came out beautiful and sounds great. On this one I am debating if I should leave the Ero Fol II Capacitor. I...
  4. Mark Davis

On / Off / Volume Knob

Ok on my on the new estate sale Fisher 400 Serial # 34129S. I have noticed the volume knob is different from my 1st Early 400 Serial # 15350E. I thought it might have been replaced as the little notch/tab on the on off knob lined up at 1:00 in the off position instead of 7:00. I would like...
  5. Mark Davis

C76 Barrier Insulator

I just picked up another 400 and am planning on doing the modifications and upgrades like I did on the first one. I did power it up with a DBT and Variac nothing came on. I noticed can cap C76 (Cardboard covered one) was very loose in the socket so I shut it down. I already ordered the new...
  6. Mark Davis

Unity Gain Buffer install questions

First off I have done the majority of the modifications recommended by Dave Gillespie for the 400. I have been using it for close to a year without any issues. It sounds great! I have some questions about the Unity Gain Buffer Modification. I have built and installed Dave Gillespie’s UGB...
  7. Mark Davis

Fisher 400 Phono Volume Question

With the selector switch set to phono will the volume be lower than when it is set to AUX or FM Stereo? Seems like I have to turn the volume up much higher for phono than AUX or FM. I have a Thorens TD-166 MKII with a Sumiko Pearl Cartridge. The spec for the cartridge is 4.0 MV Output voltage...
  8. Mark Davis

Fisher 400 Date by serial #

I thought I saw a thread one time stating the date of manufacture by the serial number. Does anyone know where I can find this? I just purchased one with serial number 34129S. I would also like to have the manual. I have a manual fisher 400 from 10001 to 19999 serial #. I am not sure how...
  9. Mark Davis

Fisher 400 Cabinet Build Veneer

Hello I have plans to build a 400 cabinet from some plans I downloaded off this site. I have a question about what type of Veneer to use. I have used the 3M PSA Veneer (Peel and Stick) on some Radios Cabinets in the past. They turned out well and have held up but not much heat is generated...
  10. Mark Davis

Fisher 400 Left Channel Hum in Phono

I recapped and have done a lot of Dave Gillespies recommendations to my early serial number 400. I have been using it for Vinyl records daily since March 4 2023. Yesterday I out of nowhere I started getting a HUM in the left channel. A Very loud hum. I thought it was intermittent but it...
  11. Mark Davis

Sony STR-6046A LED Stereo Light.

I have a question regarding the Stereo lights function. I would assume when on FM and you received a strong stereo signal the "STEREO " Light would illuminate. Mine would come on very little and it would need to pretty precise for it to come on. I replaced everything with LED and now it is...
  12. Mark Davis

Fisher 400 Early serial # 15350E / EFB,Power Amplifier, Unity Gain Buffer Mods.

I have read and search all of the information I could find on these Mods. I will be placing a order for parts soon. I have read Dave Gillespie's Improving a 400 over and over. I am trying to determine if I have the correct values and changes for the early serial number unit mainly for the EFB...
  13. Mark Davis

Pioneer SX-440 Dropping channel

I have a SX 440 that I have deoxit a couple of times. I thought I had a dirty volume / balance knob. I now believe it is one of the toggle switches. It seems to lose the right channel in Stereo. But I have both channels when switched to Mono. I see no way of getting Deoxit inside these switches...
  14. Mark Davis

I could probably find The answer but I can't use the search function.

Does the EFB circuit and tone control Dave Gillespie created . Does it work on early serial number Fisher 400s. Serial#15350. If I recall it was designed for a later serial number unit. I assume it would but is it wired the same and do any values change?
  15. Mark Davis

Sony STR-6046A Instruction Manual

I am looking for the instruction manual for this rediever. I HAVE the Service Manual. Thanks!
  16. Mark Davis

KLH 17 Speaker Refurbish

I picked up some KLH 17 Speakers at a estate sale $15. I am in the process of ordering stuff for a recap. I am also refinishing the outside of these speakers. Couple of questions. 1.) There is a Gray caulk of some sort around the woofers. What should I use to reseal them when I am done with...
  17. Mark Davis

KLH 17 Crossovers Recap

I see where one of the Caps is a 8mfd. I was on parts express and they had 8.2uf. Would that be OK going a little over 8? I really didn't want to parallel two 4uf or some other combination. Also I was reading where someone suggested adding a 0.40 mh air inductor in the woofer line. Evidently...
  18. Mark Davis

Fisher 400 and two pair of Advent speakers.

I have read I can hook two pair of speakers to the Fisher 400. I have a set of Advent 1's and a set of NLA's (New Large Advents) both speakers are 8 ohms. They would needed to be wired in parallel and the 400 impedance wire connected to 4 ohms terminal correct? Is it best to run both sets of...
  19. Mark Davis

Fisher 400 Stereo Beam Question

I have a Early serial number 15350E 400. It would not surprise me that the estate sale I got this at were the original owners. I have done all the Mods that Dave Gillespie recommended for the MPX. Cap replacement and Voltage Drop Mod. From an alignment stand point the FM seems to be right on...
  20. Mark Davis

Fisher 400 Speaker Selector switch

Does anyone use a speaker selector switch of some sort to go between 2 different amps. I have my Fisher 400 and I also have a 1970's solid state amp. I have 2 sets of Advent speakers. I would like to be able to listen to vinyl through the one set of speakers with my Fisher. Since it can only...
  21. Mark Davis

Case with missing Metal Screen.

Does anyone know what the original screens pattern was? What color was it? I was looking at a case but it is missing the metal screen that goes over the tubes. I hate to spend a lot of money for a case but then the screen look totally different. I also am Debating on if i should buy one...
  22. Mark Davis

I have a working Fisher 400! Thanks for everyone’s Help!

I have a early serial number 400 Serial # 15350E. From one of Larry’s post I guess this is from 1963. This unit powered on but that was it when I got it from the estate sale. I have learned a lot and still have more to learn. I have done the following from Dave Gillespie’s A Reference 400...
  23. Mark Davis

Spare Tube Thoughts

What does everyone have on hand as far as spare tubes. The tubes in my Estate Sale Fisher came with it. All the tuner tubes are Fisher except for the 6HS6 which is Sylvania. I understand this is expensive and hard to find and you can substitute a 6HA6. Is it good to have at least one spare of...
  24. Mark Davis

Tape Monitor switch Electrically moved.

This is from Dave Gillespies "A Reference 400 Restoration/Modification" I am trying to understand (or see I can't tell from the picture) what is meant by "The Tape Monitor switch is electrically moved so that it appears at the same signal level as the Input Selector switch, and therefore has...
  25. Mark Davis

Fisher 400 Tape Mon bleed circuit

I am just wanting to confirm that the highlighted is what gets removed for the Tape Mon Bleed Circuit.
Back
Top Bottom