Search results

1. eddie-baby

SMSL SA-98E: What is the dark magic?!?!

hmm that's interesting, we are really jacking the price up with that though, it does look very well built though and Im sure it'll have some improvement in overall SQ especially with the stepped attenuator in there, no crackly pot at least. Comes without a PSU though which can be added on. Hmm...
  2. eddie-baby

So I just tried another from Amazon as I could try on a return basis, its a TDA98e, its the first 98e I tried, and it was selling quite a bit cheaper than the SMSL 98e but still having great reviews. I haven't given it much time but from the start, my verdict was the amplifier isn't bad but...
  3. eddie-baby

Thanks for this, yes they sound very worthy of a try. I know about being sensitive to hiss as well.
  4. eddie-baby

That is interesting, thanks for sharing that. I am getting more and more enthusiastic about the use of class D all the time, I even thought it was quite entertaining experimenting with it in the earlier days with the Sonic T etc, if I remember correctly what some were called :) But I've been...
  5. eddie-baby

Great thanks for the replies. I just emailed someone selling a SMSL 98e used and asked them about the hiss. They said its a fantastic amp but they hadn't noticed any hiss but they would try again. They got back to me, they said yes there was some very low-level hiss which you could hear if you...
  6. eddie-baby

Any other great little mini amps out there that compete with or better the 98E these days?
  7. eddie-baby

Affordable tube amp for Shahinian Arcs?

it does look a little underpowered, but still a good option possibly.
  8. eddie-baby

They all look impressive, the only trouble is I have no idea of what they would sound like. A sound demo would be the only thing to satisfy that, and in the case of tube amps, not the most practical thing to ever get done.
  9. eddie-baby

look good, wish I could try some of these amps, theres a few el34 and el84s on ebay which I like the look of, trouble is who knows what they sound like :)
  10. eddie-baby

The Arcs are amazing speakers. I tried 2 of those cheap amps from amazon funny enough, the 2 I had werent good I have to admit, I never changed any valves though, I just thought they had no potential I might have been wrong. What I do have is a couple of little dot mkIIs here, those I think are...
  11. eddie-baby

Can anyone suggest some tube amps that I may be able to get in the UK? I'm looking possibly around £400 used. I don't think you have to spend a fortune, I've achieved some great result with different speakers in the transistor world. And even though the more desirable gear is, more desirable...
  12. eddie-baby

"budget" amp for Shahinian Arc - possible?

To open up an old thread are there any more thoughts on a fairly modest priced amp that work well with the Arcs? Or can anyone suggest some tube amps that I may be able to get in the UK? I'm looking possibly around £400 used. I don't think you have to spend a fortune, I've achieved some great...
  13. eddie-baby

Interesting Stereo Ads? Post a pic for memory lane's sake.

and wow by the way some of these adverts are fantastic to see! Glad Ive discovered this, its going to take some time to trawl through them all tho :)
  14. eddie-baby

Interesting Stereo Ads? Post a pic for memory lane's sake.

"oooow, sexist ! now I would have Married the sister who I would have gotten the most out of, it wouldnt have been fair otherwise" 'all as David Brent would have said and probably to the letter' :D (if you dont know who he is look him up, you'll have a laugh)
  15. eddie-baby

Epos ES11 and Epos speakers

That is interesting I couldn't take to the els3's at all. Big fan of most of the epos range especially the es series but I thought the els3 were a hopeless budget speaker, really disappointed me at the time because I so much wanted an 11/12 type speaker in a smaller package. They were beaten...
  16. eddie-baby

Great thread, big lover of epos speakers here and the reviews are great to read again.
  17. eddie-baby

-
  18. eddie-baby

Little Dot MkIII as a pre-amp?

And thank you!
  19. eddie-baby

ah right, I'll look out for that one ! :thumbsup:
  20. eddie-baby

Interesting. They should put warning labels on these things, dont think Ive ever come across a DC amplifier (or maybe I have)
  21. eddie-baby

Had mine a while now, its a decent little headphone amp, very pleased with it but Im just thinking of using the pre amplifer side of it.
  22. eddie-baby

So any amp which has capacitors then is not a DC amp? Is that right?
  23. eddie-baby

Thanks very much for the reply Chris, I appreciate it. Its not that I really need to know but still clueless on the AC or DC amp thing. I'm ashamed to say I don't really understand which amps are DC or AC. Just to make an ass of myself, I presume AC amps are off the mains with a transformer to...
  24. eddie-baby

Old thread sorry but I'd really like to know, could a little dot mkii be used with something like a Rotel rb980bx. When you say about it being dangerous with some do you mean the thump when you switch on. Cant you just keep the volume down to avoid it?
Back
Top Bottom