Search results

1. J

Help please!

Ah…looks like all is not lost! I found the name in the manual, but was not convinced of the name. The burnt area was my concern. The caps do not appear to be swollen, but I’ll get everything replaced and update. No the sound didn’t distort. Thanks everyone!
  2. J

Help please!

Looking for a source to replace, from an MC2200, 044-964 driver circuit board(?). See damage…..still works, well, with a cheap car “test” speaker…. But I do not dare trying anything else.
  3. J

Aligning Cartage with Overhang gauge, Getting High end distortion

Just got back my JVC QL-Y3F from the repair shop. Intermittent problem caused by loose solder joints only visible through a microscope. Anyways, I was spinning a few LPs and all seemed well. Listened to SuperFly - Curtis Mayfield, Soul of a Woman - Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings, and then The...
  4. J

Technics SL-BD22 vs Yamaha YP-D4, which one?

I honestly don’t know anything about the Yamaha. I do own the sl-bd22. It gets the job done. Belt driven, p-mount and I would consider is a beginner table. If I had my choice, I would probably take just about any direct drive over a belt drive in this range. I would also check the bay for...
  5. J

HOW DO YOU STORE YOUR VINYL?

About a month ago, I went through my small collection (250+) and made sure all the records had new vinyl master sleeves where needed. I also put the album covers in plastic sleeves. They are stored in cabinets, see pictures below. Winter temperature 63-68, summer up to 75, which is really hot...
  6. J

Okay, please recommend me a Head-Shell/Cartridge upgrade.

Parts express and turntable lab has headshells that are inexpensive. I know needle doctor has some name brand models. Turntable lab has a headshell with a Grado prestige black2 for $90. I am not endorsing any particular vendor, just put in a search for headshell. I’m sure there are options...
  7. J

A Test of my Turntable that I don't Understand

I have read through every post. I did not see anyone ask if the sideboard is full of stuff, or if it is constructed of hardwood. The tube gear could also encounter vibrations and transmit through the speakers. - just a thought-
  8. J

Suggestions - Cartridge/Stylus to mate with tube amp?

Found below. In another section, it mentions mm cartridge into phono, ceramic cartridge, use aux input.
  9. J

Please help me math!

Please explain: Tonearm effective mass calculator and why it can be important. I saw reference to a person called Luckydog and don't truly understand. I searched out an equation below. tonearm effective mass can be changed depending on catridge; After setting catridge, set it balanced. EM = CW*[...
  10. J

Pioneer PL-610 Issues - Need local tech Chitown

I use to shop at Rolling Stones on Irving Park Rd. They might be able to refer you to a good tech.
  11. J

Please help me math!

I desided to start a post where people can find equations. Below is from Ortofon. Is it correct? Any more useful suggestions? “It is vital to maintain a cartridge/tonearm system resonance frequency within the acceptable range of 7 to 12 Hz, whereas 10 Hz recommended. The system compatibility...
  12. J

Best 80's 200WPC power amp?

What about QSC?
  13. J

Long Term Stylus Storage

If not properly sealed, it probably would cause too dry of a condition? Like freezer “burned” meat? Another thought, if the suspension is made from a petrolium product, freezing might cause it to break down more quickly. I live in Alaska and experience some of these issues with rubber car...
  14. J

What to do with minor swirl marks on my dustcover

I have been told that Novus works well. It has three different products/stages. There is one for heavy scratches, another for light scratches, and the third is for general cleaning. The label on the third claims to reduce static too. As far as headlight cleaning, I had not tried yet, heard...
  15. J

How beneficial, and important is stable voltage for vintage tube equipment?

Hmm, never heard of this bucking transformer as well. Back in the day, we use to use Furman power conditioners. At that time we used QSC solid state amps that are now considered to be dinosaurs. They were very heavy too. I thought a variac helped maintain a constant voltage? Last time I...
  16. J

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

Today’s hit list: The Detroit Cobras - Life, Love and Leaving Jethro Tull - M.U.- The Best of Jethro Tull Beastie Boys - License to Ill
  17. J

Question about cartridges

I recently read a review of Audio-Technica’s VM540ML on hometheatrehifi.com and was surprised to see a frequency response graph based on the bench test(s) that the reviewers performed. Are there reviews on other sites, that contain similar graphs?
  18. J

Cart advise please..JVC QL-Y3F...

I recently read a review of Audio-Technica’s VM540ML on hometheatrehifi.com and was surprised to see a frequency response graph based on the bench test(s) that the reviewers performed. Are there reviews on other sites, that contain similar graphs?
  19. J

I currently plan on using the Fisher’s preamp. My Technics SL-BD35 has a Shure M92E. I run the preamp just shy of wide open. The Shure has an elliptical stylus and 5.0mv output. I recently read a review of Audio-Technica’s VM540ML on hometheatrehifi.com and was surprised to see a frequency...
  20. J

I have a Fisher 800-B. Other gear listed in signature. The Fisher has been refurbished. Finally time to upgrade my JVC turntable and it will be used as my primary player. It currently has an Ortofon OM with stylus model 10 (OM10). Headshell is threaded and is pictured below. Thanks-j
  21. J

Thanks Don! So, below are two examples of microphone specs. They have similar specs, listed in writting, that cartridge/stylus manufactures list. Please notice in the lower right corner of each item. I know that the source is a bit different but the basic principles of transferring sound...
  22. J

Can someone clarify the Ortofon info above? The reason I ask is that I always thought the OM and Super OM are the cartridge? I remember seeing the ‘B’ meant bulk? The 5E, 10, 20, 30 and 40 are the stylus?
  23. J

Audiofreak71, thanks for posting a picture of your headshell. I finally found that it is a Pfanstiehl. I assume that I will need headshell leads as well. I still might stick with the OM series, but why not upgrade that rock’n’roll lifestyle with brand new ‘components’. How come manufactures...
  24. J

From Ortofon: 2M Verso models are for bottom mount headshell, means the cartridge is mounted on the headshell from the bottom by means of 2 screws, likewise the headshell on the picture. Please see information about 2M models, incl. Verso, and the accessories included the package – both standard...
Back
Top Bottom