Search results

1. breakfastipa

Acoustat Model 2 Full Restoration Thread!

Day 7 Completed interfaces installed with new screws and feet ready to go. Make sure to spray out the inside of the interfaces with some canned air in case any bits of particles might have been introduced. Reinstall the rubber grommet into the mounting plates.
  2. breakfastipa

Ready some replacement screws for any that might have been rusted and give them a quick spray to match If you can't find black screws. I replaced all 11 #8 32 x 3/8in per interface, as well as #10 x1/2in component screws where was necessary. Original screws can also be restored soaked in...
  3. breakfastipa

Tape off the interfaces tight shut and tape off the label, RCA jacks, power input, and pots. Lightly spray areas so just as to touch up and not repaint the entire interface, wet sand, repeat if needed. I didn’t obsess over these, there are some imperfections from the previously rusted areas...
  4. breakfastipa

Day 4, 5, 6 Tape off the interfaces and components, you don't want to introduce rust bits inside the interfaces. Rust dissolver, steel wool, repeat, repeat and repeat. This is tiring and time consuming but needs doing so just power through it.
  5. breakfastipa

Acoustat panel disassembly: After the interfaces have been removed, unscrew the trim bracket cover from the top of the speakers and then unfasten the staples holding fabric (I used a small flathead screwdriver and pliers): Lay the speakers down flat on a soft work surface (I used drop...
  6. breakfastipa

Day 3 Over on DIYAudio, I got confirmation from one of the ex-Acoustat managers, that they indeed used Wilsonart for the laminate. On the other hand, it's been near impossible to source replacement grill cloths for these. Through some efforts of googling, I was able to find this for Acoustat...
  7. breakfastipa

More samples of laminate coming in, this time from Formica. Wilsonart Solar Oak was dead close (if not original, considering the laminate may have faded after 30 years). Fingers crossed!
  8. breakfastipa

Day 2 Matching original laminate. I have the lighter wood on my Acoustats, there are two from Wilsonart that are really close, Solar Oak and Castle Oak. Solar Oak in different lighting:
  9. breakfastipa

Additionally, how safe is it to fully disassemble the electronics out of the interfaces? There's quite a big warning sticker on these guys. It turns out they might have to come apart completely to get all the rust off, I was going to take them to a powdercoating place.
  10. breakfastipa

Does anyone who has replaced the laminate on Acoustats have an idea of what the original color was called? Is it by Formica?
  11. breakfastipa

Hey guys! Just picked up a set of Acoustat Model 2s from LA and drove them back to Oakland. They look pretty ratty, the interfaces are completely rusted, battered cloths, and chipped wood bases (which I helped worsen moving them into my station wagon and back home). So I've decided to do a...
  12. breakfastipa

Acoustat Model 3 advice

Nice really appreciate the history on this stuff! I think I would prefer to keep things vintage. Picking the right amp is going to be a challenge for these but I'm going to check out the 2 channel STASIS amps and TNT200 to start I think. At least for now, I can use the NAD 3020 as a preamp and...
  13. breakfastipa

Acoustat Model 3 advice

Awesome! Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely clean these up properly. The fabric has some pilling from wear but I'm sure can be washed and cleaned up great. Really psyched to pick these up this Sunday! Stay tuned! Thank you also for the amp recommendations, my end goal is definitely...
  14. breakfastipa

Acoustat Model 3 advice

Any ideas? The asking price on these is $500 btw, hope I can clean them up good?
  15. breakfastipa

Acoustat Model 3 advice

Do I just try my best to brush off that rust and repaint the transformers? Or are there replacement covers sold somewhere? Thx for any advice!
  16. breakfastipa

Acoustat Model 3 advice

One problem with the pair I'll be looking is that there appears to be some rust on the transformers and the seller told me that this was a common issue. Is that true? What's the best way to sort these out and is there any potential damage?
  17. breakfastipa

Acoustat Model 3 advice

Awesome, I think these are the ones for me! 58" x20" seems like a great size. Picking them up this weekend! Now on to source a killer amp/preamp!
  18. breakfastipa

Acoustat Model 3 advice

Awesome, I think I will go with the Model 2 as they are a bit smaller than the Model 3's and not quite as tall as the 1+1 or 2+2s. So it seems like they are the better choice for my smaller space : )
  19. breakfastipa

Acoustat Model 3 advice

From a cursory search, these appear to be the Model 2?
  20. breakfastipa

Acoustat Model 3 advice

Thanks for the reassurance, I'm definitely set on Acoustat. I'm now looking at these (a weekend trip to pick them up), I do not think they are Model 3's, but would anyone be able to ID the model?:
  21. breakfastipa

Acoustat Model 3 advice

Hi Super, Well in conclusion, I'm on the fence about these both in terms of room space and of the proposition of shipping a pair across the US. I think I will be patient and try to source a local pair, but these do seem rare and hard to come by, yet they're definitely the speaker I want to get.
  22. breakfastipa

Acoustat Model 3 advice

Yikes, so the seller is being a bit dodgy. I called his shop and as soon as he found out it was me he made excuses that he had to call me later. I'm just trying to find out if they're the white model with wood base but he sent me really poor photos of black Acoustats stacked in his warehouse...
  23. breakfastipa

Acoustat Model 3 advice

Good to know I will try to look into these! Holy crap, that is 10 years before I was born. That's crazy, but good to know as I plan to listen to them at relatively lower volumes since I'm in a shared building. I'm just imagining Steve Jobs blaring some Bach Brandenburg Concertos at insane...
  24. breakfastipa

Acoustat Model 3 advice

Haha good to know that they will work! I haven't actually had this beer (or anything from UBREW) lol
  25. breakfastipa

Acoustat Model 3 advice

Sweet ty! I was just sent some photos of the unit for sale (I was told he had white Acoustats but it turns out they are black), it appears they have MK-131-B on the back transformers. I was not sure if the Model 3's were supposed to have MK-121's?
Back
Top Bottom