Search results

1. R

Tube Amp Hum Issue

A poorly shielded cable can also show a hum. If you have upgradable headphone cables you might try that first.
  2. R

Denon PRA-1000 Preamp a mystery.

From what I gather of the schematics the 741s are not in the line of the power stage they are used for mechanical servo duties, the 4558D is used for servo and mechanical duties also. The squirly one that goes all over the place from the schematics is the 4560 but that can be bypassed if you're...
  3. R

buying matched quad on ebay

This, Apparently people would have you believe 4 new old stock valves still in the box are matched. It is very difficult to find a set of valves that are matched without the transconductance and idle current numbers they are not "matched" regardless of what the seller has to say about the...
  4. R

Denon PRA-1000 Preamp a mystery.

I'm currently looking at a Denon PRA-1000 and trying to get to the bottom of this. It's possibly uses a bipolar chip and some sort of variant of the venerable 741, although I've never seen the µPC741C before. It uses transistor FETs at the same time, which should provide an interesting sound...
  5. R

Tube Power....

That's not even anything remotely close to what I'm running right now, that is a small representation of hacking together a system to have noise in a small space where I was otherwise too lazy to do things properly at the time. I left things like that for about a week on my desk before I pulled...
  6. R

Tube Power....

I can tell you quite categorically I'm not actually clipping. Why would I go out of my way to deliberately clip a $1500 set of speakers? Stop with the straw man arguments please. If anything the tiny inbuilt microphone in my iPhone was clipping, yes. It's not exactly the best way of measuring...
  7. R

Tube Power....

They were meant for mobile live monitoring. They got a lot better once the Beeb realised that they kept blowing up and got Dalesford to make proper bextrine woofers for them and later KEF took that job also. The almost flat frequency response in most listening conditions is a pretty good example...
  8. R

Tube Power....

Right, this is why I employ the use of a woofer which is attached to the tape out of my valve amplifier to end this argument once and for all and put it on its head. I can have pretty much all the bass I want given that it handles frequencies down to 25hz and it has a 100watt amp attached to it...
  9. R

Tube Power....

What you need to do is stop generalising. People who have heard one type of valve amplifier and not actually gained a point of measure for comparison will not be able to make an adequate comparison. A triode valve will sound different to a pentode valve and a pentode valve will sound different...
  10. R

Tube Power....

First of all ignore the rated power, that's marketing speak. Look at the efficiency. 15watts into 87db speakers taking into account efficiency and crest factor and all of that should make somewhere around 85db in a modest sized room lets say 12metres by 12metres. I know this from experience...
  11. R

Why do people have so many mixed views about Kiss?

Quote for truth.
  12. R

I know Gene Simmons does have some pretty out there views but don't most Rock Stars? John Lennon and Yoko Ono ruined The Beatles, don't even get me started about The Rolling Stones.
  13. R

I'm listening to Detroit Rock City right now, I don't get it. There really isn't anything particularly wrong with the music. Is it something to do with Gene Simmons?
  14. R

Problems or Cons with going Tube- HELP!

I wasn't really thinking about modern tube amps when I wrote that response.
  15. R

Connecting an Apple TV 3 to a vintage amplifier.

I was just trying to get my head around doing this. Going from optical to analogue audio mostly, aside from the teething problems I seem mostly set, the good thing with the Apple TV is as above, particularly for internet radio, I don't need any wires plugged in or a computer running in the...
  16. R

Tube preamp is las vegas?

The AK pony in action.
  17. R

It really shouldn't cost more than $100-$200 dollars to service a valve amplifier. It really just depends how much you want to spend. You will not get much for a non-functional valve amplifier. It just depends whether you want to junk it at this point or invest a little bit of money and get it...
  18. R

You shouldn't just accept a hiss or a hum without investigating where its coming from. A valve amp may not be inherently as quiet as a transistor amplifier but it shouldn't be audible. If it is you might want to check all the tubes, and capacitors and transformers while you're at it.
  19. R

Landscapes

20. R

Will two speaker sets in parallel overload an amp?

Conceivably you could wire the natural sound into the AU-919 but it wouldn't really get you anywhere. You're playing with a car stereo subwoofer. If you wanted to keep the sub woofer you would need some kind of amplifier such as a monoblock (designed for running sub woofers with a crossover) to...
  21. R

If it hasn't done any damage you can hear now and it runs fine for the foreseeable future then it probably hasn't done any damage. It's best you fix the topology though. Either run it in parallel or find a new amp for your sub woofer at least.
  22. R

Looking for the WOW factor in a tuner

Sony ST-SE700. Still one of the best digital tuners pound for pound all these years later.
  23. R

Light show... Real time analyzer

There are lots of cheap Realistic branded EQs laying around that have a spectrum analyser.
  24. R

You will need to run them in series and not parallel. If you run them in series you'll give 12ohm which will be fine on an 8-16ohm speaker terminal, but running them in parallel will blow up your amps transformer. If this is not possible (not enough power) or whatever then you will just have to...
Back
Top Bottom