Search results

1. DAA

My $30 JBL L1s Impress!

Bought a pair of these lovely early 90s JBL L1s a few months ago for $30 locally and have swapped them in and out of the system. Been in for a few weeks now and boy, they are terrific. Paired with stereo subs on placed sand filled stands, they throw a big, natural soundstage. They love to be...
  2. DAA

AR-11 Crossover Pre-fabrication?

I have AR11Bs. Awesome speakers. Do replace the black/red tweeter and mid caps. They are trash. Typically the big bass cap is ok. I left rest of crossover as is. My woofers were done by Millersound. They are as good a speaker as I’ve heard. Best of luck.
  3. DAA

AR 3 vs AR 4x speakers

30 watts is not enough for any AR 12” 3-way. Maybe at low volume in a smaller room. I had AR4X driven by a small Kenwood 7100A and it was very nice sounding. Smooth and pleasant. My AR11Bs (my fave AR 3-ways) are driven by a high current amp putting 175 watts per into 4 ohms with 3db...
  4. DAA

Grado Black, LP Tunes Carbon, Sumiko or AT95E?

I have the LP Gear Carbon. It’s very, very good. Tracks great at 2.3g. My buddy is borrowing it now and using it in a high end system. He raves...
  5. DAA

Picture from your listening spot right now!

The lounge...
  6. DAA

How many speakers do you own?

Down to 3 pair I really love— all mint and or restored: AR11B Snell E ll JBL L1 (currently swooning over these) 2 Boston Acoustics VR500 subs
  7. DAA

Good amp for JBL L1s?

I just picked up a pair of mint JBL L1s last week for the price of a six pack. They are wonderful. Best 2-way JBLs I’ve heard and plenty of great reviews online. I’m pushing mine with a very nice and powerful Sony ES amp/pre. They seem to like some juice. Take a look for a nice Adcom...
  8. DAA

Wasn’t looking for speakers, but...

REL certainly knows subs!
  9. DAA

I have always run my speakers full range and the subs 10hz over the -3db for mains. Works great for me. Purely music and never above moderate volume. Helps that my subs have a steep crossover slope of 24/db too.
  10. DAA

These are pretty great speakers. Sound is mature and pretty neutral (for JBL). Have them on 24” stands about 24” from back wall and using stereo subs crossed at 55 hz as their -3db is 47 hz. They pull that nice disappearing act on good recordings...
  11. DAA

...driving by a yard sale that was ending and spied a pair of speakers on table...looked familiar...walked away with a pair of near mint JBL L1 monitors with the original user manual. These things are fantastic... I’ve paid more for six-packs than I did for these...
  12. DAA

Rebuilding the Saddest Snell E-II You May Ever See...

As a Snell E ll owner, appreciate the work here! They are fabulous speakers.
  13. DAA

Small Amp, Big Speakers

I love my Marantz 2225 paired with my Snell Ell. Excellent setup!
  14. DAA

Cheap Shure V15lll Satisfaction...

Are the Swiss nude available again? First was problematic
  15. DAA

Cheap Shure V15lll Satisfaction...

Am I crazy, or is the cheap Kyowa elliptical stylus for the V15lll pretty damn good!? I’ve got a whopping $20 invested in it and I haven’t wanted to upgrade in almost a year... It’s on my Technics 1600 Mk ll at 1.5g running into a Project DS+ phono stage with proper loading... I’m sure a...
  16. DAA

Snell Type K Mk I Rebuild

For some perspective and follow up, my buddy absolutely adores the Mk l K’s I rebuilt and sold him. He’s has about 7k of top notch electronics powering them. I also won’t ever part with the mint E ll I rebuilt in my den (sounding killer with a restored Marantz 2270). They all sound amazing...
  17. DAA

Inexpensive Sub options for music...

Hell yes! My USA-made Boston VR500 subs are dynamite. As musical as can be! Super well made and can be found very inexpensive
  18. DAA

Why is the AR 3A so desirable?

Having owned AR3A and currently AR11B, I can confidently say the the evolution from good to excellent is real... My 11s are lifetime speakers, sold the 3A for a tidy sum...you could be happy with either, to be honest....
  19. DAA

Non-vintage, DIY or budget speakers that sound similar to NHT SuperZero?

Just picked up a pair of SuperZero 2.0. Excellent small monitor. Add a quick, musical sub and that setup could be all you need in a small/medium room. Not the last word in fine detail, but a gorgeous midrange and tonally correct.
  20. DAA

Subwoofer suggestions for a music only system

My favorites are the older Boston Acoustics VR500 10” subs. Supremely musical and built like tanks. I run a stereo pair dialed in at 50hz. Really excellent! No bloat or boom, play deep and the excellent amp/crossover works well. Made in the USA, too boot...
  21. DAA

TEKTON DESIGN "LORE", are they seriously as good as the reviews ?

These never impressed me. My buddy ran his with a SET amp. I found them boring and never terribly inspiring. We swapped in a pair of Snell K MKI I restored on heavy 22” stands and out the Lores went (now sold). The improvement was dramatic. Again, his room and his system.
  22. DAA

The greatest collectors of Acoustic Research

Nice collection. My main system uses restored AR11Bs and I have a pair of AR4AX in storage.
  23. DAA

Let's talk about Pickering V-15 and Stanton 500 carts...

I have a 500 Mk ll EE I love...bought new for $40 many years ago
  24. DAA

$11 Chinese AT3600L Thread Mk. II - Champagne sound on a Beer budget!

Dialed back to 2.3g tonight and it’s singing! Super impressed!
  25. DAA

Recommend me a subwoofer!

I have two Boston Acoustics VR500 subs in stereo. Wonderful 10” sub that’s tight, musical and clean. I get 22 hz in room. Good power supply and built well. I bought each for $50 and refoamed each for $17. I use them for music only crossed at 40 hz. They also have a steep 24/db crossover that...
Back
Top Bottom