Search results

1. JesusGreen

Most representative TTs of all time

All the SME arms are worth show-casing in their own right, either on turntables or in their own display cases. If someone hasn't mentioned it yet, the Beogram 4000, released in 1972 by Bang & Olufsen, it was the first electronically controlled linear tracking turntable.
  2. JesusGreen

Audio Technica LP120 TT?

~0.2% wow and flutter 50db signal-to-noise ratio In other words even the cheapest Dual idler drive changer is probably quieter and keeps speed better than it. The anti-skate it has also doesn't work properly, and while it does have adjustable VTA, the range of adjustment is not ideal. It...
  3. JesusGreen

What was your first album?

I only started listening to vinyl earlier this year. I started off with a collection of records that my father let me have, that were his and my uncle's. Probably 150-170ish records total, not sure of the exact count. The first record I bought myself was actually two records and neither was an...
  4. JesusGreen

Where would tonearm wires be causing skating?

Nope the tonearm cables go all the way from the cartridge end down out the base of the tonearm and then are soldered on to various parts of the RCA junction box. I'll have to try that. The way I've been getting the junction box off is by turning the turntable upside down with the lid on (with...
  5. JesusGreen

With my Debut Carbon the equivalent would be taking off the RCA junction box and rotating that right? Since that's where all the wires are soldered at the base of the arm. Is there any way for me to know if I'm rotating it in the right direction and not making the twist worse? Or is it just a...
  6. JesusGreen

Hmm. It seems like there's reasonable slack there. ...That could make sense. I mean the wires have been pulled in every which way multiple times at this point. It would not surprise me at all if there was some serious twisting in there. The question is how to check and resolve that without...
  7. JesusGreen

Long story short: Debut Carbon has serious skating issues which in a previous thread we narrowed down to likely being due to tonearm wires being pulled tight (I pulled them too much towards the cartridge end). Today I removed the rubber stopper on the arm so that the wires could move freely...
  8. JesusGreen

TEAC TN-300 partridge upgrade

As others have said, use the TEAC Headshell, as that Sansui headshell is a straight headshell designed for S-shape tonearms, while you on the other hand have a straight tonearm with an off-set headshell. If you're trying to use the Sansui headshell, then it's no wonder it sounds bad. A straight...
  9. JesusGreen

Comparison, at95 upgrade to grado red or blue?

I can't compare to the higher end Grado Red or Blue, but I can compare the AT95e to the Grado Black1. The difference is night and day. The AT95e has a very flat compressed sound stage, while the Grado opens up a lot more. Mids and vocals have more presence. The Grado in general is more detailed...
  10. JesusGreen

Help me choose a good turntable

If you're buying it new then the belt should last you at least 5 years. Some old turntables with 20-30 year old belts are still working as well as they were on the day they were bought - although a lot of manufacturers will recommend you replace the belt every ~5 years or so anyway. If you...
  11. JesusGreen

Help me choose a good turntable

^ There are actually even speakers with built in phono preamps, like the Roth VA4 that Techmoan reviewed on his YouTube channel earlier this year. Since they have both a phono preamp and amp built in, you'd literally only need to buy the speakers: I can't comment on their quality, but...
  12. JesusGreen

Should I upgrade my table or replace it?

^ Yeah I don't get why anyone would get the AT LP5 over simply getting the cheaper AT LP-120. Personally I wouldn't want something with that high a wow and flutter spec, but given the choice, the LP120 is an easy winner because it has the same specs at the AT LP5, but also has adjustable...
  13. JesusGreen

Suggestions to upgrade from 2M Red

Really depends on what sort of sound signature you like, but I can say that if you like the Grado sound, Grados go really well with the Debut Carbon. I'm currently running the Grado Prestige Black1, which is more of a sidegrade than an upgrade from your 2M Red, but I personally found it to be a...
  14. JesusGreen

ELAC Miracord TT -share all about 'em

Ah I think I get what I was doing wrong. I think I was just tightening or loosening the nuts without moving the screw up/down to adjust its position. I'm not sure, it's possible I did move it and try that, but I'll have to try that again the next time I have the turntable out.
  15. JesusGreen

Nope, it's not limited to any one spot. My most pristine records can sometimes get through a whole side without skipping, or maybe just the one part where it skips. Dirtier records loop/skip constantly throughout, like as much as 10-15 times per side. Each time the only way to get past the...
  16. JesusGreen

So it's been a while since I posted in here, but I posted a few pages back about the Miracord 660 that I picked up which had a specific issue: looping sections of each record. It would skip, but backwards rather than forwards. The conclusion was that it probably needs a degrease and relube but...
  17. JesusGreen

[HELP] NOISY PRO-JECT CARBON

As others have said, you're missing some stick sorbothane or rubber grommets on the two holes on the motor where the screws previously were. Put the screws back in afterwards. They should not be removed on the Carbon tables, only on the older Debut line, or you'll actually probably make the...
  18. JesusGreen

Records skipping forward at outer lip/lead in groove on Debut Carbon

A few times I had to strip more of the wire to attach the clips to, since some wire was lost in the process. At one point there was very little wire left, so I tried gently to pull a little more through the rubber stopper at the end of the tonearm. Some came through, it wasn't much, and I...
  19. JesusGreen

Yep I checked with two different spirit levels, and it's perfectly level. In my latest post I mention that I think I've found the issue. I think it is tight tonearm wires, because I managed to apply some more slack to the tonearm wires and after doing that, the issue decreased significantly (no...
  20. JesusGreen

^ I don't think you can zero it with the weight on with the Debut Carbon, there are three rungs to hook the weight over, each for varying levels of anti-skate, but none for zero. I think for zero anti-skate the weight has to be removed. Unless I'm misunderstanding something. Anyway, good/bad...
  21. JesusGreen

How exactly would I go about checking if the wires are tight? I'm unsure if the rubber stopper at the end of the tonearm is designed to come off, so I'm not sure how I'd check how much slack there is on the other side.
  22. JesusGreen

Right so as I mentioned in my above post, putting the anti-skate weight back on fixes the issue (I recently took it off), although that's weird since for the first few days I had this cartridge I listened mostly with no anti-skate. My second question then - since setting anti-skate fixes the...
  23. JesusGreen

Here's where things get weird. I've been playing around with the cueing arm rest for a few minutes, and I think I've fixed it, the arm descends quickly now - perhaps even a little too quickly, but the same skipping issue still happens. Interestingly, if I put the anti-skate weight back on, it...
  24. JesusGreen

Edit: I think the issue is related to tight tonearm wires, see my latest post for more info and to see my latest question regarding how to fix it. So I've had the Debut Carbon for a few months now. Bought it second hand, but this issue only popped up recently. The Issue: So basically when I...
  25. JesusGreen

TT recommendation: vinyl to digital - USB TT or USB audio interface?

As someone else has said, no point in buying a USB turntable specifically for recording. You don't even need a specific audio interface. If your computer has a line in port or a mic in port, then you can use your existing preamp. Just buy an RCA -> 3.5mm cable and connect your preamp to the...
Back
Top Bottom