Search results

1. R

Bogen AM-only Tuner

I've been sorting out some of the confusion regarding Bogen's AM-only tuners and their model numbers. This seems to be the history: There were three styles: 901, 90, 91. 7/17/1952: Drawing AM 901-1 (attached). 1953: Radio Shack catalog AM901, $55.86, no case. SAMS 2-53. 1954: Radio Shack...
  2. R

Public Radio

Is there a precise definition of public radio?
  3. R

Semantics and Tuner Performance

I have seen some comments that seem to confuse sound quality with reception – thus this post. I think tuner performance can be seen in three main areas: Reception – sensitivity and selectivity. Sound Quality – audible frequency range, stereo separation, fidelity to sound source. Noise...
  4. R

What sort of interference

What sort of interference or distortion causes a sound like a chorus of crickets or tree frogs? I'm getting this sound in the quiet parts when listening to a certain strong station at 55 miles, with intervening mountains. Switching to mono greatly reduces, but does not eliminate, the sound. It's...
  5. R

Scott 310(A) vs 310-B

Despite very different external appearances (the 310(A) chassis is inverted), the A and the B are virtually identical electrically, except for the RF tube. See http://hhscott.com/fm_tuners.htm. At least, that's what I thought until now. These two chassis photos show that the A has an extra...
  6. R

MPX out vs Detector out

I just noticed that, with the Fisher FM-40, one can switch between MPX out and detector out. What's the difference?
  7. R

Multiplex: Discrete vs Integrated Circuit

Is IC always better?
  8. R

Scott 312-C and D Muting

I have known of a Scott 312C and a 312D that would fail to automatically unmute. The LT-112B also has the same mute circuit. The problem is something to do with hysteresis. The late Ed Von Essen figured out a fix: Shunt R2 (680K) with added 62K resistor. My tech confirmed it. Just wanted to get...
  9. R

Tuner Technology

What are the 10, or so, most important technological advances in FM tuner development? A timeline would be helpful.
  10. R

KCSM

KCSM broadcasts its regular FM signal at 91.1 from San Mateo, Calif. It also simulcasts at KPJK TV channel 60-6 from San Francisco. For those who have a strong signal from both sources, how does the quality compare?
  11. R

Bogen PX60 Multiplex Adapter

I have seen two versions of this MPX unit. They appear identical, except for some lettering on the back of the chassis. One indicates “Series A-91” and has a screw labeled “Level”. The other indicates “Series B-111” and labels the screw “Matrix Adj”. I wouldn't think a level adjustment would be...
  12. R

Twin-Driven Archer Antenna

I got a NOS Archer 15-1636. It arrived broken, but I managed to cobble it together. It's in the 1975 Radio Shack catalog for $11. It has 5 elements on a 70" boom, which is a bit longer than a Stellar 4-element. It has two folded dipoles at widths of 61 and 54 inches, connected by thin, crossed...
  13. R

FM Noise

What causes static sounds like a geiger counter, even in mono? It might be evident for a few days, then gone for a few days.
  14. R

Multiplex Adapters

Please recommend the good, the bad, and the indifferent.
  15. R

Stellar Lab Antenna Mod

Brian's review of the Stellar antenna and the addition of a fifth element is here: http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/stellar.htm The mod appears designed to make best use of a 96-inch piece of aluminum angle bar. But what if that constraint were removed? What would be the length of the new director...
  16. R

FM Stereo Noise

Is there such thing as crystal clear FM stereo? I always hear at least some noise switching from mono to stereo. I know multiplex stereo has some inherent problems, but I'm not sure they are always audible.
  17. R

Scott 311 Series vs 314/LT10

The 311 has a stand-alone AF tube, whereas the 314 AF shares a tube with the limiter. Does that mean the 311 will sound better? The only other differences I see are the front-panel volume control of the 311 and the better dial design of the earlier 311s. Of course, the 314 has a wider chassis...
  18. R

HH Scott 310s Limiters

I have a question about the 310 series. Scott advertised them as having 3 IF stages and 3 limiter stages. There are 2 limiter tubes. Did Scott count the limiting capability of the ratio detector as the 3rd limiting stage?
  19. R

Wade J55-FM

Wade Antenna, of Ontario, Canada, provides the J55-FM antenna. It is a 5-element, log periodic antenna. Wade indicates that the antenna is quite robust, and Wade provides full specs. When I contacted Wade, it referred me to its US distributor, Mega Hertz. Mhz told me it only sells to businesses...
  20. R

AC and DC

I discovered that the lamps and at least some of the tubes of my tuner are lit even when the rectifier tube is pulled. Since the rectifier changes AC to DC, I assume both types of current are used in the tuner. Would someone explain the distribution of current types in a tubed tuner?
  21. R

Simulcast Stereo

From those who experienced it, what was it like?
  22. R

Some History of Epicure Products, Inc

I was researching the history of EPI and managed to find some facts that are a little different from what some others, such as HUMAN Speakers, have reported. I am setting them out here with sources, so that they are not lost. a. Epi logo first used Mar 10, 1968. Source: Official Gazette of the...
  23. R

HH Scott 310-C or D, Distant/Normal Switch

If someone has the owner's manual, what does it say about the use of this switch?
  24. R

EPI Genesis Drivers -- Repair or Replace?

HUMAN Speakers can do either; with shipping the cost is about the same. Of the several tweeter designs over the years, I'm thinking some might be worth saving.
  25. R

Scott 312, 312-B, and LT-112 (not B) mute

From photos online, the above tuners have no mute switch. Is there automatic muting? I find no schematic online. Did Scott think that muting was unnecessary? The mute on my 312-C is problematic, and I've read the same about the 312-D. Prior tubed models had functioning mute.
Back
Top Bottom