Search results

1. H

M-DAC PLUS Firmware upgrade

Hi all, I noticed there is a new firmware released and available in Audiolab website for M-DAC+ so I downloaded the files and tried to upgrade. Well, apart from the fact that the grammar in the instructions is a joke and absolutely unacceptable for an official release, it also doesn't work...
  2. H

Amplifier Distortion, DC-Offset, and You!

Sony TA-1055 recaped and new equivalent transistors. R: -10mV (+/- 0.3mV) L: +6mV (+/- 0.3mV)
  3. H

Safe to connect my speakers?

It is a harsh low level clipping sound at a certain frequency level and above. Initially I thought it was from the recording because it was not very profound but no. I will try with headphones and see if it's there and also let it play for more time so to understand and describe the problem...
  4. H

Well I did the trial, everything was ok except I noticed a distortion at high frequencies, so the experiment ended immediately. Too bad, I really like this amplifier. Never mind.
  5. H

Thank you for your input. I measure right channel -10mV and left +6mV. Is the negative value I get in the R. channel of any concern? Also these values are fluctuating in the +/- 0.3mV range
  6. H

I have the service manual but there are not any instructions specifically for adjustments or at least I don't know what to look for. I have very limited knowledge in electronics especially in audio but I had good luck until now because of the people in this forum. I had done the DC offset...
  7. H

Hi everyone, I have replaced with equivalent transistors and recaped a SONY TA-1055 and want to know if it is safe to connect this amp to my speakers. I have test it for few hours with a cheap pair of speakers and it seems that works fine but I'd like to make sure the amp won't destroy my main...
  8. H

Tell me all the bad things about Cornwalls..

Maybe need to match with an amp that has bass & treble knobs or just add an EQ in the chain. Cornwalls will immediately expose bad recordings.
  9. H

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

George Russel- The Stratus Seekers
  10. H

Wife hates new speakers......Sigh

So, how do they sound with the new amp?
  11. H

New but Not...

Vintage gear looks better too.
  12. H

What does the strobe light in my Pioneer direct drive table actually do?

It is just there to show you if the turntable is rotating at the right revs. It is for YOU to check it visually since small variations are not easily audible, so no reflections, feedback whatsoever. It is like the strobe used for engine ignition timing, you check and adjust accordingly if it is...
  13. H

Taming loud mid horns

Now I'm thinking it again, you're right, maybe 50W L-pad is too much for an 20W/channel amp. 3.9 and 8.2Ω @15W would cost 3euros all 4 resistors which give about 6dB. I'll get these and monitor their temperature as you said. Even If I have to try with different resistors to achieve the desired...
  14. H

Taming loud mid horns

I was thinking starting out with 3 to 6 db and when I checked the prices of the resistances @ 50W I turned down the plan immediately. Then I thought buying resistances about 7W which are a lot cheaper and just connect them in parallel to split the power across the multiple resistances. Does it...
  15. H

Taming loud mid horns

Is this calculator correct if I want to DIY it? http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-Lpad.htm
  16. H

Taming loud mid horns

I have to shop around. Even internet is useless in this case since most search results I get are about i-pads. Speakers for i-pads. :mad:
  17. H

Taming loud mid horns

Yes, they are all 8Ω and in the 100W range while the amp is 20W, does this mean that I should get higher wattage L-pad? I 'm trying to find it locally but no luck yet. I only find an Eminence which is expensive.
  18. H

Taming loud mid horns

Thank you hardy! I think I'll get the variable one.
  19. H

Taming loud mid horns

I replaced all drivers in a cheap pair of loudspeakers because half of them were blown. So I purchased new woofers, mid horns, tweeters and crossovers. All drivers are probably the cheapest you can get except the crossovers which are relatively decent (visaton 3/80 NG, 1.6kH - 6KHz). Of course I...
  20. H

Blown mid-high horns

Thank you Cat, fortunately all that trouble cost me just one night of bad sleep.
  21. H

Blown mid-high horns

You are correct, the capacitors are good. The speakers work fine, it was just a bad contact of the bridging plates in the terminals as the Klipsch dealer advised me to double check because he has experienced this many times. Indeed these plates may look that they are tightened in position but...
  22. H

Blown mid-high horns

My DMM can read capacitance up to 20uf but not with its leads. It has two tiny holes for inserting the cap's leads inside, so for an installed capacitor I had to make two wires with alligators clips in one side. I have to buy an ESR meter anyway, it will save me so much frustration.
  23. H

Blown mid-high horns

Thank you hardy, this is great information. I have to get an ESR meter. These are Cornwalls III and connecting them to the amp before thorough testing, it was at least stupid.
  24. H

Blown mid-high horns

What made think that these 3 capacitors were bad is that the other film caps were reading "ok". Now I know for sure that this is not the right way to test caps and if I want to be more serious with this hobby then I have to buy some equipment and probably some books and reading more AK. I also...
  25. H

Blown mid-high horns

I called the dealer to ask him what he thinks and he told me to check again the terminals of the speaker because it is quite often with these bridging plates to slightly move and if not double-wired the signal does not go in the horns. He was so right!! Thank you all for your help!
Back
Top Bottom