Search results

1. N

Allo DigiOne Signature vs. SoTM sMS-200 and 200 Ultra

Anybody have any idea how these two compare? I doubt I'll be playing much ultra high resolution or DSD so not worried much about limitations of S/PDIF. I'm only just recently coming around to the idea that digital sources matter, but I'm still not sure how much. Can a $350 DigiOne approach the...
  2. N

Sonus Faber Venere S

Hello all, I currently have the Venere 3.0, as well as the center and 1.5s for the rear. I'm thinking of upgrading the 3s to the S for a net cost of $1000 (including sale of 3s). Does anyone familiar with the line know if it's really that much of an upgrade? Maybe I should think about moving...
  3. N

Do record weights, pucks, and clamps actually improve sound?

Hello all, Will these devices actually improve sound on decently healthy (milding warped or unwarped) records? I've seen all sorts of claims about reducing unwanted vibration, increasing rotating mass, and so on. Is any of this actually true? I have a Technics SL-1210mk2. Thanks. Nick
  4. N

Is there any reason to get a power cable larger than 14awg?

I mean, aren't houses only wired at 14 gauge? I'm thinking to buy a nicer power cable for my power conditioner (Furman Elite PFI-15, 120v) and maybe the two Vidar amps (400w @ 8 ohms, but my speakers are 6) attached to it. I see there are 12s, 9s, and even 7 gauge cables available. Is there a...
  5. N

Blue circle products?

I have a ground loop producing some spikes at 60/120/180/240, etc and some stoachastic noise on my AC under 60hz that id like to clean up. Have any of you ever used Blue Circle products? They seem to promise a lot and Im intigued but skeptical. Especially thinking of the new ground loop blocker...
  6. N

Buzzing just won't quit: Can someone please help?

Hello, First let me thank you for taking the time to read my post. I've been trying to get this buzz out of my system that I just can't lick. It's really starting to drive me nuts. I've attached a spectragraphic image of the sound. Here's a WAV of the sound...
  7. N

Anyone ever use Tungsram 6922 preamp tubes?

I'm thinking of buying a pair for my Schiit Mjolnir 2 amp based on the advice of a salesperson and a few short reviews on a product page, but they're sort of pricey and wanted to talk to you folks first. I have LCD-2 headphones. Any experiences? I still have the stock tubes in my Mjolnir and...
  8. N

Amateur review of Schiit Vidar power amps in single and monoblock configuration

Hi everyone, now that I’ve had my Vidars for a week and change I'm going to write a review. First, let me say that these are my first “audiophile” amplifiers so I don’t have a whole lot to compare it to. My two Vidar monoblocks are replacing an Emotiva BasX A-300 poweramp, which puts out 150...
  9. N

TV appears to be causing ground loop

Hello, I have a Samsung plasma TV, which is only connected to my APC power strip/conditioner for power and my Marantz NR-1604 AVR via HDMI. The Marantz is connected to an external preamp via preouts, which is going through an Emotiva poweramp. After disconnecting/unplugging each of these...
  10. N

Anyone in Reno, NV or Norcal?

Would be great to have a group.
  11. N

What do you think of the Bryston BP17 preamplifier?

I'm thinking about a used Bryston BP17 or going with a less expensive Emotiva XSP-1 (gen 2). Thoughts? I'm also considering the Audio-GD Master-1. This is my first dedicated preamp and I'd greatly appreciate your advice. Thank you.
  12. N

Deciding between two systems: integrated vs. components

With help from the community, I've narrowed down to two system configurations. Given that I'm mostly committed to buying used gear whenever possible and that I live in a small city, auditioning is very difficult. Accordingly, I would dearly appreciate your insights. Listening modes: - Stereo...
  13. N

What to do when stereo preamp has no sub output, yet have sub?

I'm considering buying an OPPO HA-1, which would serve as a DAC, headphone amp, and as a preamp for a poweramp. It's looking pretty perfect for my needs except for one small bit: It has no LFE output. Is there any kind of device that will extract information from the stereo outputs and pass it...
  14. N

Alternatives to OPPO HA-1?

Hi there, I'm considering buying an OPPO HA-1 DAC and integrated headphone amp because it meets all of my requirements like few devices do. 1) High quality DAC 2) High quality headphone stage 3) Two sets of analog inputs, at least one of which has Home Theater Bypass function 4) Analog output...
  15. N

How fancy does a power conditioner really need to be?

Doesn't a power conditioner basically just clean up the power going into your equipment a bit? I mean, what does a $1000 power conditioner do that a $40 Pyle conditioner doesn't?
  16. N

iFi iPurifier 2 vs. ISO Regen vs. USB Regen experiences thread

Has anyone had experiences with more than one of these devices? If so, please share them here.
  17. N

Best digital alternatives to USB audio

Hello, On my desktop PC, I tried switching from USB out to my DAC/amp (Audio-GD NFB11) to using the optical S/PDIF from my onboard soundcard. While I wasn't expecting to hear a difference, the optical sounded like it had a blacker background and was perhaps a bit punchier because of it. My...
  18. N

Please help: Difficulty choosing a system

Hello all, I'm having a rough time choosing a system. This is in part because I live in a small city that has no proper HiFi dealers. I know, I know... there's no substitute for auditioning but that really isn't an option for me. So here are my two options: 1) Components $5500: Emotiva preamp...
  19. N

2-ch performance on 8802

I'm planning to upgrade the 2-ch portion of my system with a new stereo preamp, but my buddy is really trying to impress upon me that what I really ought to do is get a Marantz 8802. While I'm sure it does amazing surround, right now my goals are mainly two-channel. BUT, if it's two-channel...
  20. N

Do I absolutely *need* Home Theater Bypass mode?

I have a Marantz NR-1604 AVR, which I use for my home theater, with the L and R routed through the pre-outs to an external amplifier. However, I'm currently expanding my 2-channel listening path with a new stereo preamp. One of the leading contenders it the Audio-GD Master 1, which I'm not sure...
  21. N

Audio-GD Master 1 vs. Emotiva XSP-1 (2nd gen)

Thanks to input from other audiokarma members, I've decided to get a new preamp in the high mid-fi, low hi-fi range. The Audio-GD Master 1 and Emotiva XSP-1 (2nd gen) seem to have what I'm looking for: - Balanced - No DAC stage - Reputed for "bang-for-back". Does anyone have experience with...
  22. N

Need help selecting a pre-amp

How much is it really necessary to spend on a preamp in a hifi 2-ch system? As with most things audiophile, there is virtually no upper limit to what you can spend, but I'm sure marginal returns are diminishing. The quality of the DAC and other onboard devices notwithstanding, aren't preamps...
  23. N

Simaudio Moon 340i D3PX bang for buck

Hello, I'm thinking to buy a Moon 340i because, while expensive, it seems to get high marks across so many functions. In your opinion, do integrated amps at a given price point (say $5000) perform as well as a rack of components totally that price? How much would you say the Moon's DAC would...
  24. N

New Golden Ear Triton 2+s or used Dynaudio Focus 340

I'm looking for a new pair of loudspeakers and am contemplating between these two models. Assuming away considerations over my amplifier situation, and that the Dynaudios will probably cost maybe 50% more, which do you think are better? Edit: Sorry, I should have put more information. Size of...
Back
Top Bottom