Search results

1. D

Pioneer sx1250, marantz 4400, marantz 2240, and other goodies.

This is silly, for no particular reason, I would like to know the value of some of my gear in it's current condition. First up is my pioneer sx1250. The main amp worked beautifully up until a couple days ago. Then the dial lights went out, and it went silent. The preamp was all crackly when...
  2. D

SX-1250 speaker terminals.

I've decided the old push button originals suck bad. The springs are weak, and they're difficult to get a good connection with. I was thinking of making a new plate to replace that entire area, cutting it out, and putting binding posts there. I was also thinking about doing away with the C...
  3. D

Velleman k8098 audio analyzer kit?

Anyone built one of these? I know one of you has. Looks like a fun kit, nothing too intricate, not much surface mount. I'm just gonna put it in a project box. Sending one to my brother too. For stereo use it shows 2x 10k resistors on the input, anybody do this...
  4. D

LG tv audio channels reversed.

So, I have a rather old 55" LG led tv. Works fine so long as I don't turn it off, and the audio output left and right are reversed. I was thinking about trying to fix it, even though it would be about time to shoot it, and put it out of it's misery. The audio is reversed no matter the input...
  5. D

Giant 27a variac.

So, I'm trying to decide if I want this thing. It's a monster of a variac that is capable of 0-135v 120v input @ 27a! First of all, all I have is a 20a circuit to my bench, so it would be way overkill. I already have a 10a 0-240v variac. I can't imagine an application where I'd need anything...
  6. D

Marantz 2240 outputs?

I ran into the guy I sold my 2240 to years ago. Unfortunately it sounds like he managed to short the outputs. I'm sure the originals are unobtainium, so does anybody have suggestions on possible substitutions? I'm thinking I might buy it cheap, fix it, and flip it.
  7. D

Improvised tools.

Ok, so I'm sure you guys have made your own improvised tools at some point, let's see them. I'll start with my compass made from a machinist's divider for drawing circles for speaker cutouts. It will draw about a 24" circle max.
  8. D

SX 1250 soft start resistor value?

The resistor in the soft start circuit in my sx 1250 gave up the ghost. It's not the original, the original was a 3.3 ohm 20w, it's had a 8 ohm 25w in it for years now. So, the question is, is there an advantage to changing this value? Will less surge current make the transformer and caps...
  9. D

Allied 498 receiver, Acoustiflex 15" 4 ways, consignment shop.

In a local consignment shop, I found some vintage gear. An Allied 498 receiver, and a pair of Acoustiflex 15" 4 way speakers. Figured I'd post it up here, and see if anybody wants it. The grills are in good shape, the middle of the tweeter is pushed in on the one I took the grill off. $83...
  10. D

DAC as preamp?

So, I've been looking at DACs, and the possibility of using one for a preamp for my sx-1250. Right now I'm using a mixing board as a preamp, and have the headphone out from my tv connected to it. The headphone out is a very low level, if you plug actual headphones in, the volume is pathetic...
  11. D

Marantz 4400 distorted, then faded to nothing.

Hello, my first real post here, so be gentle. My beloved marantz 4400 died a slow death. I don't know how else to explain this, but have you ever been high on NO2, and noticed what happened to your hearing? That was the distortion that would fade in and out for a couple months until it didn't...
  12. D

Hello from Howell Mi!

I am an electronics hoarder, and I like the sound of vintage receivers, especially marantz. My beloved marantz 4400 died on me, and I could use some help fixing it. My pioneer sx-1250 has some nasty crackles and pops in the preamp. Obviously, when it comes to power, I go for the monsters. I...
Back
Top Bottom