Search results

1. J

A and B and impedance

I have a pair of L520 s at 6 ohms and a pair of Qb s at 4 ohms, running as A and B on a KR 7600. Can I run them as A plus B without damaging the receiver? I have usb fans drawing cool air through the receiver, and when I dare to listen to them in tandem, they sound really good together. But I...
  2. J

Cost to restore a 771

I was on the phone with the repair shop I have used in the distant past, and while talking about another matter I mentioned I had to tap the glass for some of the dial lamps on my 771 to light up. He suggested another shop that did minor repairs for that. He said they would do a restore on the...
  3. J

Lost R Channel on AT-VM95ML

I received an AT-VM95ML/H for Christmas, and have enjoyed it immensely until this evening when I cued up a new 180 gram Let It Bleed, and no right channel. Other sources produce both channels. To confirm it wasn't the table, I put the old Shure back on and both channels work fine. Table is a...
  4. J

Thoughts on RXT6 and AT VM95

When I had only 1 turntable it was a Pioneer PL S40. Not a bad table, not so plastic as its successors with a low mass arm, direct drive, quartz lock. It had an entry-level AT conical cart. The Pioneer headshells in this series are 1/2" but not standard and I paid $30.00 for a dead, similar...
  5. J

Test Driving a pair of Qb

Tomorrow afternoon I will audition a pair of Qb. The seller says he had his tech go through them and uses the term "restored." I'm not sure what that means. In the pictures, I notice there's a little piece of wire "jumping" the fuse. I don't know if that's present on both, or only the one. I...
  6. J

Pioneer CS 303

I've had a pair of these since I bought them new in the 80s or early 90s. I still have them because they keep working, and they aren't really worth selling. These are the CS 303 3 ways with the 12" woof and the ribbon tweeter. There's a CS G303 that is a different speaker. They were my only...
  7. J

Infinity Qa or TF 400?

The Qa s will have to be shipped, but the photos show nearly perfect cabs and original drivers. The TF 400s are not as good cosmetically. The wrap-around foam sheet is apparently showing a few little holes but sonically, the owner describes them as perfect. The Qa s will be shipped and total is...
  8. J

Power for AR3a

There is a pair of AR3a that is in very nice physical condition available for a very reasonable price near me; low enough to risk them untested. But, my most powerful machine is a KR 7600 rated at 75wpc. I have read that the early ARs only perform at their best with lots of clean power. I can't...
  9. J

Empire 1000 LS XIII

This cartridge is on a turntable I am trying to buy from a guy about 200 miles away. He sent me up-close pictures of the cart and it looks to be in good shape. The stylus is bent. I've found some reasonably priced replacement styli on LP Gear, but I don't know what I will have if everything...
  10. J

My new771

I rescued her from a dusty shelf. Paid $110.00. She cleaned up real well.
  11. J

PL 518 vs. PL600

I had bought a PL 600, the DD silver one, but ultimately the seller backed out because he wasn't confident he could pack it and ship it without tearing it up. If that was his motivation, then I guess I'm glad, but I was really stoked for that table. My rebound was a PL 518 that is being sold by...
  12. J

Stevenson and Baerwald walk into a bar...

After a lot of reading, I think I'm coming to get the differences and why there isn't a right or wrong answer, but I like those who clearly understand this to please check my work. As I understand it, the difference between the two is that they are based on ever so slight differences in null...
  13. J

Pioneer PL 600 (not the plastic one)

I'm considering this table which has the original cart and appears to have all the auto functions working. It will need cart update but that's ok. It is a full auto, DD, suspension table. It weighs 25 lbs. Have any of you TT junkies owned this table? If so, thoughts? I had a Sansui SR 525 in...
  14. J

Technics SL-Q3 or

I am looking at both a Realistic Lab 400 and an SL-Q3. The carts are about the same and the asking price is also. I had a Technics DD drive many years ago and loved it. This would become the daily driver and my Late 80's Pioneer would become table #2. I could actually touch the Technics. The Lab...
  15. J

Lab 400 or Technics SL-Q3?

I am looking at both. The carts are about the same and the asking price is also. I had a Technics DD drive many years ago and loved it. This would become the daily driver and my Late 80's Pioneer would become table #2. I could actually touch the Technics. The Lab looks great on the emails, and...
  16. J

Sansui SR 525

I have an opportunity to purchase this TT which is missing the counterweight and the lockdown for the tonearm; neither of those is a big deal. I have read a lot of posts, mostly positive, about this table. It would take over for a 1980s Pioneer PL S40 (DD, semi-auto, quartz lock, counterweight...
  17. J

RBH 1261

There are a pair of these for sale near me. They are 3 ways with 12" woofers and the tweeter between the woofer and the mid. In the photo they look clean and the cabinets appear to be overbuilt. I can't find any meaningful information about these, even on this site. I suppose they are rare, and...
  18. J

Cabinet Questions

I have a pair of ADS L520s that have a few scratches, but the tops each have rings where a previous owner placed flower pots. The areas are mostly white, with some small areas of dark mineral intrusion. I have read the various threads on cabinet refinishing and will address the dark areas, but...
  19. J

New strange sounds

First off, I have been playing records a long time but only recently have I started paying attention to how it all works, so this may be obvious to many of you. I have an RXT6 (Sure made for Radio Shack) cart running an LP Gear SHN097EDL which is their N97ED replacement stylus. The TT is a...
  20. J

SHSM099E vs. RSR16X

In the quest for a replacement stylus for the RTX6 I was told by wise AKers that there were many styli that would replace the discontinued RX16. They were right. In many hours of research seeking the best stylus for under $50.00 I have found that many of the Shure needles were acceptable...
  21. J

The RTX-6/R16X Quest: Advice needed

My quest started when I fond a Pioneer TT on CL for "parts & Repair" that was nearly a match to mine. I need the no longer available, proprietary headshell for the tube tonearm used on my TT. The ebayers were starting at $58.00 for just the headshell. This old TT had the headshell, plus I...
  22. J

Pioneer PL S40 and the PXB 563 headshell

The good news is I have the original headshell on my table and it is good shape. I want to get a new cartridge but the old yeller AT on it now is still in great shape. My idea was to get a cheap headshell, mount the old cartridge on it, and use it for rougher records. The bad news is that my...
  23. J

Sherwood S-7250

I've been looking at the true vintage Sherwoods and found this later, Korean made, 20 wpc receiver. I can buy it for $75.00, plus $40.00 in shipping. The seller has video of it working. It's probably a 6.5 /10 cosmetically. I don't feel like $125.00 is a great deal for this particular receiver...
  24. J

Frazier Monte Carlos speakers-Value

Have located a cosmetically decent (7/10) pair of these for $75.00. Assuming the drivers all work, what are they worth? They are more than an hour drive away, and if these are pretty good speakers I don't want to invest the time. Thanks for any insight.
  25. J

QRX 3500?

I have located a cosmetic 9/10 QRX 3500 for sale for $150.00 which I believe to be a bit high, but that's for another forum. My questions are 1) how pleasing or interesting is the 2channel into quad function of this receiver, and 2) do all four speakers need to be the same, or very close to the...
Back
Top Bottom