Search results

1. R

Dual 1229 idler wheel not contacting the motor

Before removing the idler wheel try cleaning the rubber surface of the wheel with alcohol and or rubber renew. Clean the track under the platter where the wheel makes contact with it with alcohol well also. Once the platter is down on the spindle, it pushes the idler wheel against the motor...
  2. R

A25,No sound from Woofer?

Yeah the dynaco label is screwed into the front. Just unscrew that by hand the the grill should pop out with some gentle prying with a butter knife etc
  3. R

Wife wants old speakers gone! What to do?

Bozaks are amazing speakers, especially for classical music. Surely some local audiophile will gladly come collect from you if you list them on your local Craigslist. Of course, a bit of Howard’s and an hour of time would likely turn them into much nicer pieces, and you get actual money for...
  4. R

Speaker wire lifters

I don’t use cable lifters but make sure my amp is higher than my speakers and my cables are real short so the music flows downhill. I find I can listen to more music in less time!
  5. R

Thorens TD-165

When the power cable was replaced, was it upgraded to a 3 prong model? If so, that could just be the issue. Try using a 3 prong adapter to eliminate the ground and see if it goes away.
  6. R

If one were to turntable…

Yes when operating correctly, they are awesome .
  7. R

If one were to turntable…

Yes, a fully refurbed dual 1019, 1218 or 1229 will crush almost anything under $2000 in terms of sound quality. And, it’s automatic.
  8. R

Empire 598 restoration

Good call keeping it. Empires are so good they exceeded the ability of the instruments used to measure them at the time.
  9. R

Dynaco A-25 find

They are always pleasant to listen to, the A25s. Well balanced, musical, and non-fatiguing.
  10. R

What would you say is the best sounding vintage Receiver

Those Nikkos from that era sound amazing, like a little McIntosh!
  11. R

Turntables are like Harley's

Potato potato potato?
  12. R

Bose 301......my opinion has changed

I bought 301’s in high school, had the for about 30 years. Set them up in the corners of a room and they sound much larger than they are. Withou the corner set up, they lose a lot of their luster.
  13. R

Dynaco A-25 tweeter cutting out

Besides using deoxit on the switch I’d use it clean the terminals. I’ve had oxidized connections cause dropouts even when things looked clean.
  14. R

Annoying Musical Instruments

Soprano sax can get annoying real fast.
  15. R

What is the most compact sized vintage recevier?

Great sounding unit. Fantastic preamp.
  16. R

Elac 10f hum

I’ll try running a jumper from the top plate and see what happens.
  17. R

Elac 10f hum

I’ve deoxed the rcas and all headshell contacts and no joy.
  18. R

Elac 10f hum

Oops I mistyped. It’s a 10h not a 10f.
  19. R

Elac 10f hum

I had a precious 10f and I don’t recall this strap and it didn’t hum.
  20. R

Elac 10f hum

The hum happens once the mute switch has been inactivated when the tonearm is over the record. The strap goes from the metal part of the headshell. On the old cart, it connected to one of the cart mounting screws but it was a metal cart. All the modern carts have plastic in that area so there’s...
  21. R

Elac 10f hum

Hey I picked up a classic elac 10f, it had a early sixties cart on it with an all metal body, and the headshell has what appears to be a ground strap attached to one the cart mounting screws. The cart was a goner, so I put in a more modern one, but it has a plastic body so no place to attach...
  22. R

What movies have great music backgrounds/soundtracks?

Chavez Ravine-RyCooder only a half hour documentary but Ry wrote a good hours worth of great music for it that stands on its own merit.
  23. R

Does it worth to restore this Sansui au 717? One channel dead the other with low distorted sound

I just recently happened upon a 517 in the electronics recycle bin at my local dump! Needed a little deoxit on the controls and one knob was loose and simply needed tightening! It’s a really really good sounding amp. I’m sure the 717 will be even better.
  24. R

Will be testing new Blue Jean speaker cables

Personally I only like the sound of new cables. Once they been played a few hours they start to sound stale and I have to change them out, like a pro tennis player switches racquets every seven games
Back
Top Bottom